Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
You can have 4k video with the WG-6 WG-6 | RICOH IMAGING
Sure, Ricoh know how to do 4K, it is available on the Theta and WG-6. The 24Mp apsc sensor used in the K3, KP, GR , maybe isn't able to stream 4k. The K1 sensor can't do 4K, so it doesn't matter if the image processor can do 4k or not.

02-23-2019, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh Dear. Street camera. No 4K. No USB-II. RicohIsDoomedTM
02-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
You can have 4k video with the WG-6 WG-6 | RICOH IMAGING
Well that is an improvement. The smaller sensor in the WG-6 makes it all possible.

---------- Post added 02-23-19 at 02:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh Dear. Street camera. No 4K. No USB-II. RicohIsDoomedTM
Never said that monochrome.

---------- Post added 02-23-19 at 02:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sure, Ricoh know how to do 4K, it is available on the Theta and WG-6. The 24Mp apsc sensor used in the K3, KP, GR , maybe isn't able to stream 4k. The K1 sensor can't do 4K, so it doesn't matter if the image processor can do 4k or not.
These cameras can not deliver 4k because they only have UHS-I. It doesn't matter how fast the sensor the processor or the buffer size are especially since Ricoh/Pentax is using a UHS-I standard that only delivers ~35MB/s speeds which is not enough to keep up with a 4k data stream from the large sensors. 4k data stream needs at least 100MB/s.

Each K-1 RAW file takes over a second to write to the SD card. Pixel-Shift images each take 5 seconds to push through the UHS-I bus to write to the card. The Pixel-Shift capture is pretty much instantaneous from once the images are taken and the processing puts them together sending the file to the buffer. It is the 125mb file that takes 5 seconds to get out of the buffer through the slow UHS-I bus to the SD card. How much more effective would Pixel-Shift be if the time between shots went from 5 seconds to 1 second which UHS-II would deliver?

The major draw back to these slow write times because of UHS-I is battery drain. We are seeing that with the GRIII drop in battery performance even though they increased the size of the battery. The KP is a victim of this as well.
02-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Well that is an improvement. The smaller sensor in the WG-6 makes it all possible.
The WG-6 has a 1/2.3' sensor, so I'm guessing even photos at their upper ISO limit of 6400 are noisy.

I have never intentionally taken video.
I have never filled the buffer of my KP
I routinely allow my KP to float up to ISO 12800.
I will happily stick with my KP - and if the GRiii has similar performance, I would pick it long before I picked the WG-6

02-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #80
Pentaxian

The major draw back to these slow write times because of UHS-I is battery drain. We are seeing that with the GRIII drop in battery performance even though they increased the size of the battery. The KP is a victim of this as well.
I put a fully charged battery in my KP on Monday.
Today I switched in another fully charge battery - and my Watson charger says the previous battery had 30% charge left.
My KP isn't a victim of anything.
02-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I put a fully charged battery in my KP on Monday.
Today I switched in another fully charge battery - and my Watson charger says the previous battery had 30% charge left.
My KP isn't a victim of anything.
reh321 you don't have to take everything personal.

I am pretty sure one thing people have said about the KP they wish were better is battery performance. It may not be the case for you but I have read this opinion from KP users on PF.
02-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #82
Pentaxian

reh321 you don't have to take everything personal.

I am pretty sure one thing people have said about the KP they wish were better is battery performance. It may not be the case for you but I have read this opinion from KP users on PF.
This is 'personal' only in that your words have no connection with my experience. People complain about all kinds of things here. Tough.

02-23-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #83
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The GRIII already has all those things

* bigger battery
* faster processor
* better sensor

what the GRIII is lacking to deliver 4k is UHS-II.
That is three times a no..... The battery inside GRIII is to small to run 4k video for a long clip. The processor inside is probably from a generation that doesn't support 4k (why pay for a feature you don't use?), the sensor read-out probably can't do 4k full sensor read-out at 60p (also someting that would cost more and why pay for a future you don't use?).

You ignored the heat dispatching. That is something not to ignore. That would cause the camera to heat up and shut down.......after just a few minutes and in summer time when it is warm outside it just stops after seconds.

I do see why you would like the camera to do it, but that can't be put in such a small body wit such a large sensor.
02-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is three times a no..... The battery inside GRIII is to small to run 4k video for a long clip. The processor inside is probably from a generation that doesn't support 4k (why pay for a feature you don't use?), the sensor read-out probably can't do 4k full sensor read-out at 60p (also someting that would cost more and why pay for a future you don't use?).

You ignored the heat dispatching. That is something not to ignore. That would cause the camera to heat up and shut down.......after just a few minutes and in summer time when it is warm outside it just stops after seconds.

I do see why you would like the camera to do it, but that can't be put in such a small body wit such a large sensor.
RonHendriks1966 I didn't ignore the heat issue. I don't think it is the problem you make it out to be as an obstacle for 4k video in the GRIII. The GRIII is doing Full HD video despite the heat issues associated with video. The GRIII is only doing Full HD because that is all UHS-I can deliver. The GRII delivers Full HD except at 60fps because of the slow High Speed SD bus interface that only delivers 25MB/sec.

Looking back when the GRII was going to be announced in 2015 what I was hoping to see is what the GRIII has except IBIS. Waiting to see how the GRII was going to be different than the GR I was hoping to see the 24mp sensor and 14-bit RAW. So at the very least they have come that far.

Like I said I think the GRIII is a home run. If it had UHS-II it would be a grand slam.
02-23-2019, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It seems to me that, right or wrong, if there’s one photographic device that doesn’t need 4K video, it’s a fixed focal length traditionally-styled pocketable street camera...

Put a zoom on it, and that all changes for me, but for what this is, I’m OK with the weak video capabilities...

-Eric
02-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It seems to me that, right or wrong, if there’s one photographic device that doesn’t need 4K video, it’s a fixed focal length traditionally-styled pocketable street camera...

Put a zoom on it, and that all changes for me, but for what this is, I’m OK with the weak video capabilities...

-Eric
Actually the 28mm field of view has historically been used by many of the greatest filmmakers so the GR has a unique field of view for cinematography use.
02-23-2019, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Actually the 28mm field of view has historically been used by many of the greatest filmmakers so the GR has a unique field of view for cinematography use.
No argument from me

I think there was even someone a couple of years ago who made a video-focused compact for that reason.

But a camera that did that properly would need super fast I/O, and microphone jacks, and headphone jacks, and the ability to do raw 4K to an external drive, and a fancy viewfinder, and, and...

And then it would be a fantastic video camera, but it wouldn’t be a pocketable street camera for stills.

It wouldn’t be a GR...

-Eric
02-23-2019, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alright then. I’m out.
02-23-2019, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

If you read their comments more carefully, you would find

They complain because the KP doesn't have a top LCD like the K-3ii does - the KP is too small, and the GRiii is even narrower

They complain because the KP can't hold two SD devices like the K-3ii does - the KP is too small, and the GRiii is even smaller

They complain because the KP is 'hard to hold' because of its size - the GRiii is even smaller, but fortunately no one is going to mount a 300mm lens on it.

Yes, they complain because the KP battery life is shorter than battery life of the K-3ii ... both cameras use the same bus, but the KP battery is smaller - and the GRiii battery is even smaller. This has nothing to do with bus technology and everything to do with battery size. Please do not mis-represent the facts.
02-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
No argument from me

I think there was even someone a couple of years ago who made a video-focused compact for that reason.

But a camera that did that properly would need super fast I/O, and microphone jacks, and headphone jacks, and the ability to do raw 4K to an external drive, and a fancy viewfinder, and, and...

And then it would be a fantastic video camera, but it wouldn’t be a pocketable street camera for stills.

It wouldn’t be a GR...

-Eric
Who is asking for the GR to become a film production rig?