Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The major draw back to these slow write times because of UHS-I is battery drain. We are seeing that with the GRIII drop in battery performance even though they increased the size of the battery. The KP is a victim of this as well.
Excuse my ignorance, but when did running electronics faster use less power?

How a slower UHS I bus uses more power than a faster UHS II bus doesn't sound right. And I'm fairly sure the bus is not the only limitation in throughput between the sensor and the SD card.

Surely the major increase in power consumption on the new GRiii is due to the IBIS and additional processor. The KP also has the additional processor, which must consume some extra power compared to previous Pentax DSLRs with the same battery.

02-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Excuse my ignorance, but when did running electronics faster use less power?

How a slower UHS I bus uses more power than a faster UHS II bus doesn't sound right. And I'm fairly sure the bus is not the only limitation in throughput between the sensor and the SD card.

Surely the major increase in power consumption on the new GRiii is due to the IBIS and additional processor. The KP also has the additional processor, which must consume some extra power compared to previous Pentax DSLRs with the same battery.
The power is consumed by the files being held in the buffer longer due to the slower bus speed. The longer the files are held in the buffer the more power they consume.

The SD card bus is not the only limitation but it is the slowest and weakest link. The performance of the entire system relies on how fast the files can be written to storage. I have asked this before would everyone rather have the "buffer" clear in under 5 seconds with a UHS-II bus or 15 seconds with a UHS-I bus. Everyone argues we need a bigger "buffer" when all a bigger "buffer" will do is drain the battery that much faster.

Don't forget along with the IBIS and additional processor they increased the battery capacity. And IBIS can be turned off. I can not imagine not using IBIS would give back 100 images.
02-23-2019, 07:31 PM - 5 Likes   #93
JPT
Pentaxian

I picked up a catalogue for the GR III yesterday and I found that they have gone for a very minimalist design, in keeping with the camera itself. There are no pages explaining the features. The whole catalogue is full page photos except the spec sheet.

The images are of Paris by Ichigo Sugawara. It is the photographer featured in the promo video.

Here are a few pages to give you an idea. I can't see the PDF of this on the website yet, but if someone finds it, please share the link.

02-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The power is consumed by the files being held in the buffer longer due to the slower bus speed. The longer the files are held in the buffer the more power they consume.
So you assert a buffer location doesn't use any power if it contains 'nothing'. Do you have an electronics reference to prove that? The last time I checked, there was no way to 'turn off' a memory location; you may ignore it, but it will still contain that last value written to it.

02-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Does the purchase of the body also get you the slip-on OVF?
No - there are two available - one about 200, the other closer to 250.
02-24-2019, 01:13 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
why pay for a future you don't use?
This is a serious question.
02-24-2019, 02:44 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Wow, I don't guess I realized the price was going to go up so dramatically. Stabilization was the only thing I wished my GRII had so I got my wish, but....man.
CDN site is $1199 . Does not matter if US or CDN conversion in $, I loved my GRiv , but at this new price it is going to sell to those that already love the GR series. In Canada , at this price, buyers will look at Sony RX100 series first.

02-24-2019, 03:16 AM   #98
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
No argument from me

I think there was even someone a couple of years ago who made a video-focused compact for that reason.

But a camera that did that properly would need super fast I/O, and microphone jacks, and headphone jacks, and the ability to do raw 4K to an external drive, and a fancy viewfinder, and, and...

And then it would be a fantastic video camera, but it wouldn’t be a pocketable street camera for stills.

It wouldn’t be a GR...

-Eric
Most video's made these days are selfie video's for Instagram. So you need a flipping screen to look at yourself while filming.
02-24-2019, 03:35 AM   #99
Pentaxian

..The longer the files are held in the buffer the more power they consume...
Can you explain why?

I doubt you can, but I would be interested in your reasoning.
02-24-2019, 06:52 AM - 3 Likes   #100
Veteran Member

Ugh. If they added 4k video, people would ask for a mic input, audio output, flippy screen for vlogging, zebras and audio levels. And more. Which they can't do without making the camera bigger, plus needing to use more expensive components which would lead to even higher price.

Can we just enjoy that we got one of the best street point and shoot cameras on the market?

02-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So you assert a buffer location doesn't use any power if it contains 'nothing'. Do you have an electronics reference to prove that? The last time I checked, there was no way to 'turn off' a memory location; you may ignore it, but it will still contain that last value written to it.
I didn't assert anything remotely to what you stated here. What I did say is the longer a file is held in the buffer the more energy is being used to hold it there.
02-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #102
Veteran Member

This specifies that gr series was never meant to be a Swiss army knife of cameras, it's a tool for photography and specifically for snap shots/street. It's in the concept of the series. They mention is like 3 times. Video was not mentioned at all in their description. So people that want a 4k camera with all the bells and whistles are looking at a wrong product here.
02-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Can you explain why?

I doubt you can, but I would be interested in your reasoning.
The buffer is the RAM component no different than RAM in any computer system. When you start crunching data into RAM what happens to the RAM it heats up because it is drawing more power. It's no different in a camera.

There is a precedent for what I am pointing out when Nikon released the D500 and D850. Both those cameras had around a 25% increase in images per battery charge over the previous model even though there was no change to the battery. They moved to UHS-II which drastically cut down on clearing the buffer which improved the performance. The D800 was in the 15 second range to clear the full buffer. The D850 takes around 4 seconds. The savings in energy gave around a 25% increase in the total amount of images per battery charge.

Again that is another question I asked several times gone unanswered who here would rather have the buffer clear in 15 seconds or would you rather have the buffer clear in less than 5 seconds? Everyone here is satisfied with the buffer clearing in 15 seconds?
02-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #104
Pentaxian

I didn't assert anything remotely to what you stated here. What I did say is the longer a file is held in the buffer the more energy is being used to hold it there.
That is a totally incorrect understanding of queue management. The buffer is simply memory. When something is "removed" from it, the contents are copied, and by some means (*) the space is made available for future use, but it is still memory containing something - it is still consuming just as much energy as it ever did.

(*) Queue management is a part of a discipline of Computer Science called "Data Structures". There are several different means of implementing queues, so I gave just a general idea of how it is done.
02-24-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #105
Banned

The buffer is the RAM component no different than RAM in any computer system. When you start crunching data into RAM what happens to the RAM it heats up because it is drawing more power. It's no different in a camera.

There is a precedent for what I am pointing out when Nikon released the D500 and D850. Both those cameras had around a 25% increase in images per battery charge over the previous model even though there was no change to the battery. They moved to UHS-II which drastically cut down on clearing the buffer which improved the performance. The D800 was in the 15 second range to clear the full buffer. The D850 takes around 4 seconds. The savings in energy gave around a 25% increase in the total amount of images per battery charge.

Again that is another question I asked several times gone unanswered who here would rather have the buffer clear in 15 seconds or would you rather have the buffer clear in less than 5 seconds? Everyone here is satisfied with the buffer clearing in 15 seconds?
There are many differences. Different sensor, different image processor. Every change can bring advantages. Ofcourse also going to uhs-ii.

The main difference is that D800 has a build in flash and the D850 doesn't. For cipa this makes a big difference since they messures battery lifetime with 50 % of the images with use of the build in flash.