Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 162 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Yeah I know, I did the same with GRII. I do have a power bank as well.

I'm not worried about swapping batteries on the go. I'm more worried about charging those batteries after, say when I'm traveling. I wonder how fast it charges, and if I could buy a battery charger that can charge two at the same time.
I have three GR chargers - one plate with flip out prongs on the back that plugs into the receptacle itself and two corded ones. I just line them up and charge three batteries at once. Then I change the corded plates and charge KP batteries and then change the plates and charge K-1 batteries (I have a plastic bag full of various duplicate plates acquired over the years).

02-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #122
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is different storage. You can use the GRIII without a memorycard inserted and store images taken on the inside 2 GB space. Many compact camera have such a function. You can go out on a walk and take 66 images and store them internally in the camera and at home transfer them to your pc.
That is 66 raw images. If you take just jpeg, you could store 200 images and go home. By then it is time to go home, since your battery would be empty. See the camera is in perfect balance
02-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Responsiveness would be easier to test by comparing a compatible card with an older standard in the d850. My point was it looked like you were attributing the 25% energy savings solely on the updated UHS, which I think is hard to isolate. I don't doubt that there is an energy savings (which is always great!).

I do wonder what the cost increase would have been. I've no doubt that Ricoh looked into the option and then flipped a coin made a sensible decision.
You can quantify the numbers. Take for example the GRIII's 200 image rating. If each file takes 1 seconds to get through the UHS-I bus that is 200 seconds total time they are held in the buffer which is over 3 minutes time. If UHS-II reduced this by 3 times they are in the buffer for only 1 minute. This is exactly what is happening with the D850 and most likely were the improved battery performance is coming from.

The more images you put in the buffer the longer they stay there. So if you shoot 5 images in succession. The 5th image is actually sitting in the buffer for 5 seconds which eats even more power. A full buffer has files waiting 12 13 14 15 seconds waiting to clear the buffer drawing power using UHS-I.

Ricoh/Pentax has always been this many generations behind with the SD bus. With the GRIII Ricoh added the 2GB internal memory to get around the limitations of UHS-I.
02-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #124
Pentaxian

The first rule about performance: whatever you're assuming is most likely wrong.

You don't assume performance; you measure it, in controlled conditions. Making assumptions about UHS-II is just that.
Making assumptions about images "sitting in the buffer" is worse. Yes, there can be an impact but not what you think - for example, longer processing times might prevent the processor(s) to enter advanced sleep modes. This has to be known, or measured.

02-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
You can quantify the numbers. Take for example the GRIII's 200 image rating. If each file takes 1 seconds to get through the UHS-I bus that is 200 seconds total time they are held in the buffer which is over 3 minutes time. If UHS-II reduced this by 3 times they are in the buffer for only 1 minute. This is exactly what is happening with the D850 and most likely were the improved battery performance is coming from.

The more images you put in the buffer the longer they stay there. So if you shoot 5 images in succession. The 5th image is actually sitting in the buffer for 5 seconds which eats even more power. A full buffer has files waiting 12 13 14 15 seconds waiting to clear the buffer drawing power using UHS-I.

Ricoh/Pentax has always been this many generations behind with the SD bus. With the GRIII Ricoh added the 2GB internal memory to get around the limitations of UHS-I.
No, No, No.

As you previously said, the buffer is just a memory unit.
'In the buffer' says nothing about load on the unit.

It will always store some value, so it will always use the same amount of electricity.

Last edited by reh321; 02-24-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: quoted words changed
02-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is different storage. You can use the GRIII without a memorycard inserted and store images taken on the inside 2 GB space. Many compact camera have such a function. You can go out on a walk and take 66 images and store them internally in the camera and at home transfer them to your pc.
RonHendriks1966 the inclusion of the internal memory has nothing to do with the end user. The real use of the internal memory is to give more responsiveness to the system as a whole due to the limitation of UHS-I. Certainly the end user can store images to it but the real function is for use by the camera. I would imagine people will not go strolling without a memory card inserted. The end user would more likely use the 2GB storage if they happened to forget to empty a full SD card before taking the walk.
02-24-2019, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have three GR chargers - one plate with flip out prongs on the back that plugs into the receptacle itself and two corded ones. I just line them up and charge three batteries at once. Then I change the corded plates and charge KP batteries and then change the plates and charge K-1 batteries (I have a plastic bag full of various duplicate plates acquired over the years).
I hope to avoid carrying 3 charges while traveling. Would be cool if I'll be able to get one with two battery slots, whether it's from ricoh or third party, less stuff to carry - less stuff that gets lost and forgotten in hotel rooms)

02-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope to avoid carrying 3 charges while traveling. Would be cool if I'll be able to get one with two battery slots, whether it's from ricoh or third party, less stuff to carry - less stuff that gets lost and forgotten in hotel rooms)
One ZipLok. Two cords. Two plates. Gaffer tape them together if necessary.
02-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The first rule about performance: whatever you're assuming is most likely wrong.

You don't assume performance; you measure it, in controlled conditions. Making assumptions about UHS-II is just that.
Making assumptions about images "sitting in the buffer" is worse. Yes, there can be an impact but not what you think - for example, longer processing times might prevent the processor(s) to enter advanced sleep modes. This has to be known, or measured.
These are not assumptions Kunzite. I can tell you from my own experience with the K-1 and UHS-I. For Street Photography waiting for 15 seconds for the K-1 to clear the buffer due to the UHS-I bus is glacial. Plus the numbers are out there on the D800 and D850 showing how much better the D850 performs due to the faster SD bus.
02-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #130
Pentaxian

I'm guessing it will take several months for 3rd party providers, such as Watson, to provide plates for this new battery.
02-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm guessing it will take several months for 3rd party providers, such as Watson, to provide plates for this new battery.
Are those batteries unique to GRIII? I didn't look it up, for some reason I thought they'd just use batteries from GRII, I think I'm off on that?

---------- Post added 02-24-19 at 03:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One ZipLok. Two cords. Two plates. Gaffer tape them together if necessary.
My dreams of traveling with a backpack and the least amounts of stuff is shattered
02-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #132
Pentaxian

These are not assumptions Kunzite. I can tell you from my own experience with the K-1 and UHS-I. For Street Photography waiting for 15 seconds for the K-1 to clear the buffer due to the UHS-I bus is glacial. Plus the numbers are out there on the D800 and D850 showing how much better the D850 performs due to the faster SD bus.
Of course they are assumptions; I'm a software engineer, I know to recognize one
And this particular one is a wild, "what are you smoking?" type - there are so many differences between the Pentax and the Nikons I can't fathom how on Earth did you isolate the SD bus as the culprit. Actually, I know you didn't.
02-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #133
Banned

Photos: Gallery
RonHendriks1966 the inclusion of the internal memory has nothing to do with the end user. The real use of the internal memory is to give more responsiveness to the system as a whole due to the limitation of UHS-I. Certainly the end user can store images to it but the real function is for use by the camera. I would imagine people will not go strolling without a memory card inserted. The end user would more likely use the 2GB storage if they happened to forget to empty a full SD card before taking the walk.
The 2GB memory isn't ram, but ssd memory. A build in sd-card memory. To store images and not part of the image processing chain.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-24-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Keeping it friendly and respectful
02-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #134
Pentaxian

Are those batteries unique to GRIII? I didn't look it up, for some reason I thought they'd just use batteries from GRII, I think I'm off on that?
The GRii uses the 1250 mAh 4.5 Wh DB-65 battery, which goes with a BJ-6 charger.

The GRiii uses the 1350 mAh 4.9 Wh DB-110 battery; our first hint that the GRiii was coming was when Ricoh registered the new BJ-11 charger
Ricoh registered new BATTERY CHARGER - PentaxForums.com
02-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #135
Pentaxian

I remember someone said the GR III battery is also used by Theta.