Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 162 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
This is the problem with the Pentax community is satisfied with the next model having SDR-104 UHS-I. Clearly you are not interested in improving performance being satisfied with UHS-I SDR-104 even though this is the big complaint you have with the K-1.What do you think the likely hood the GRIII will be using UHS-I SDR-104. It is the next camera. I think there is zero chance.
You have the experience of the waiting for SD card writting with the Pentax K1 where I agree that the bigger buffer and/or faster SD card would make the K1 more enjoyable when shooting bursts/sports. However, the K1 isn't a sport oriented camera. You got fixated on the K1 slow SD card writing and carry on with this problem for the GRIII. And the GRIII is even less sport oriented and has a 24Mp sensor instead of 36Mp (less data to be transferred). And you never used the GRIII, you don't know if you have to wait or not for SD card being written, you don't know how fast is the internal 2GB memory writing. So, yes, memory card speed and buffer size are considerations no to be forgotten. But for the GRIII as a street camera, I believe that UHS-I is appropriate. You could however keep the SD card speed complain/objection for when Ricoh would release a sport oriented camera or another 45Mpixels full frame for weddings.

02-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The approach to GPS is to have the camera sync via Bluetooth with a phone.
[Usability]?GR III | RICOH IMAGING

And it looks like the USB-C can be used with an external battery pack.
Really hope they adapt this to future DSLRs.
02-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You have the experience of the waiting for SD card writting with the Pentax K1 where I agree that the bigger buffer and/or faster SD card would make the K1 more enjoyable when shooting bursts/sports. However, the K1 isn't a sport oriented camera. You got fixated on the K1 slow SD card writing and carry on with this problem for the GRIII. And the GRIII is even less sport oriented and has a 24Mp sensor instead of 36Mp (less data to be transferred). And you never used the GRIII, you don't know if you have to wait or not for SD card being written, you don't know how fast is the internal 2GB memory writing. So, yes, memory card speed and buffer size are considerations no to be forgotten. But for the GRIII as a street camera, I believe that UHS-I is appropriate. You could however keep the SD card speed complain/objection for when Ricoh would release a sport oriented camera or another 45Mpixels full frame for weddings.
biz-engineer the only thing holding back the K-1 from being a "Sports" camera is the UHS-I bus. The slow SD bus holds back the K-1 from being taken serious by pros even though the K-1 delivers the best image quality and with the K-1MKII it is by a long margin. I can not imagine trying to shoot a wedding with a camera that is taking 15 seconds to flush out the buffer. Am I fixated on the slow SD bus? If that is what your perception is feel free to dismiss what I say. It is not my experience the waiting for SD card writing(entirely due to UHS-I) with the K-1 it is every K-1 user.

We have all waited really since 2013 for the next generation GR. The GRII was an update. So in 2019 with the GRIII I would expect Ricoh would want to release a camera that will perform to 2019 standards instead of UHS-I which is 2010 standards.

So biz-engineer we can put you down as being happy and okay with waiting 15 seconds for the full buffer to clear with UHS-I. You prefer that instead of less than 5 seconds. Which by simply moving to UHS-II is delivered and solves all the lag and slow operation of the camera.
02-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #154
Pentaxian

I can not imagine trying to shoot a wedding with a camera that is taking 15 seconds to flush out the buffer.
It doesn't if you don't saturate the buffer, that can be done. It's not a sport camera, other models are better with higher frame rate and buffer depth. The K1 favor image quality not fast speed of operation. And this is a thread about the GRIII not the K1.

---------- Post added 25-02-19 at 18:17 ----------

We have all waited really since 2013 for the next generation GR.
No I haven't.

---------- Post added 25-02-19 at 18:19 ----------

So biz-engineer we can put you down as being happy and okay with waiting 15 seconds for the full buffer to clear with UHS-I.
I never had to wait 1 seconds in real shooting situation except sports, for the last two year I never had to wait for buffer clearance on the K1. Your posts sound a bit like trolling (exaggerate things for provoking comments).

02-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #155
Veteran Member

It doesn't if you don't saturate the buffer, that can be done. It's not a sport camera, other models are better with higher frame rate and buffer depth. The K1 favor image quality not fast speed of operation. And this is a thread about the GRIII not the K1.

---------- Post added 25-02-19 at 18:17 ----------

No I haven't.

---------- Post added 25-02-19 at 18:19 ----------

I never had to wait 1 seconds in real shooting situation except sports, for the last two year I never had to wait for buffer clearance on the K1. Your posts sound a bit like trolling (exaggerate things for provoking comments).
This is a GRIII thread and I have said several times the GRIII is a home run. If the GRIII had UHS-II it would be a grand slam.

I am just responding to your statements about the K-1. And you are mistaken you wait more than a second for the K-1 to write every RAW file to the SD card. The more files you put in the buffer the longer each file takes.
02-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #156
Pentaxian

And you are mistaken you wait more than a second for the K-1 to write every RAW file to the SD card. The more files you put in the buffer the longer each file takes.
No, I'm afraid, I take photographs with the K1 or K1 II and I don't have to wait to take more photographs, unless the buffer is completely full, which never happens when shooting shorts burst only. Haven't used the GRIII yet, but given the performance UHS-I with the K1, UHS-I for the GRIII will be a non-issue for regular use.
02-25-2019, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What sound does a groundhog make ? Just thinking aloud ... :-)

02-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #158
Veteran Member

No, I'm afraid, I take photographs with the K1 or K1 II and I don't have to wait to take more photographs, unless the buffer is completely full, which never happens when shooting shorts burst only. Haven't used the GRIII yet, but given the performance UHS-I with the K1, UHS-I for the GRIII will be a non-issue for regular use.
I have a K-1 so I know what your experience is you are waiting on the UHS-I slot so you have to shoot in measured ways not to step on the slow response of the camera.

I will make a predication that the GRIII with UHS-I will handle pretty much like the GR and GRII which are just adequate. Albeit the GRIII does have a major lose in battery performance.
02-25-2019, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #159
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-1 so I know what your experience is you are waiting on the UHS-I slot so you have to shoot in measured ways not to step on the slow response of the camera.
In almost all cases, that works well - it is best to think and plan more than to shoot.
Burst mode has ruined lots of photographers, who would have much less PP to do if they thought first.
02-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #160
Pentaxian

We have all waited really since 2013 for the next generation GR.
No I haven't.
Neither have I.

In fact, I was barely aware of it until it took center stage when I was waiting to see what the next Pentax step was going to be.
02-25-2019, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The approach to GPS is to have the camera sync via Bluetooth with a phone.
[Usability]?GR III | RICOH IMAGING

And it looks like the USB-C can be used with an external battery pack.
USB-C battery pack is brilliant, if true!

This looks like a great camera, the negative comments are silly.
02-25-2019, 12:13 PM - 6 Likes   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a GRIII thread and I have said several times the GRIII is a home run. If the GRIII had UHS-II it would be a grand slam.
What is your point in all of this? The GRIII has already been produced and is being ordered. Unless they can make the changes you are advocating via a firmware update your endless arguing is totally pointless. Send a request to Ricoh to include the features you want, maybe they will incorporate it in the GRIV if there is going to be one. The you can move on to arguing about something else.
02-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What is your point in all of this? The GRIII has already been produced and is being ordered. Unless they can make the changes you are advocating via a firmware update your endless arguing is totally pointless. Send a request to Ricoh to include the features you want, maybe they will incorporate it in the GRIV if there is going to be one. The you can move on to arguing about something else.
Where am I arguing? All I have said is these cameras need UHS-II to handle the larger sensors and more sophisticated processing. Which they do. Everyone else is arguing no we don't need UHS-II that the slow operation of the cameras due to UHS-I is just fine. Just don't fill the buffer. Wait 20 seconds between exposures etc.

Larrymc how come you are not asking why everyone is arguing against UHS-II? Right isn't that what is really happening. I am only stating what needs to be done to improve performance but everyone here at PentaxForum's seems to be okay with mediocre.
02-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Larrymc how come you are not asking why everyone is arguing against UHS-II? Right isn't that what is really happening. I am only stating what needs to be done to improve performance but everyone here at PentaxForum's seems to be okay with mediocre.
No, we are saying it is a perfectly usable "Street Camera".

added: you said you've been waiting six years for this; your choice is to use this one or wait for the next one.
02-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feeding time should be over soon. boriscleto is your friend.