Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Nokishita Camera just published detailed specifications:

【噂】リコー「THETA Z1」の特徴|軒下デジカメ情報局

- Two 1.0-inch BSI CMOS sensors with about 20 million effective pixels
- Multi-level diaphragm mechanism, aperture can be selected from 3 values: f/2.1, f/3.5 and f/5.6
- High resolution 360 still image equivalent to about 23 million pixels
- 4K 360 movie, 3,840 1,920 at 30 fps
- Highly powerful shake correction performance from 3-axis correction (pitch, yaw and roll) during movie shooting
- Fastest shutter speed: 1/25,000 second
- Highest sensitivity: ISO 6,400
- Built-in 4-channel microphone supporting in-camera 360 spatial audio recording
- 0.93" OLED panel at the bottom of the camera to display shooting information
- Supports RAW file format
- The OLED display together with the new Fn button, allows for switching between "Normal Shooting" and "Self Timer Shooting", switching three plug-ins, switching to Off / Mute mode and more
- Built-in large capacity memory of about 19 GB
- Still image resolution: [RAW] 7,296 3,648 pixels, [JPEG] 6,720 3,360 pixels
- Size: 48mm x 132.5mm x 29.7mm (24mm when excluding the lenses' protrusion)
- Weight: 182g
- Scheduled release date: late March, 2019
- Street price: 126,900 including 8% Japanese VAT.
WOW, truely impressive specs! And I would have expected a price around 990,- for this. Seems very reasonable.

02-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

- Multi-level diaphragm mechanism, aperture can be selected from 3 values: f/2.1, f/3.5 and f/5.6
- Highly powerful shake correction performance from 3-axis correction (pitch, yaw and roll) during movie shooting
- Built-in 4-channel microphone supporting in-camera 360 spatial audio recording
- Together with the new Fn button the OLED display allows for switching between "Normal Shooting" and "Self Timer Shooting", switching among three types of plug-in, turning off, switching to mute mode and more
That looks like a serious tool!

It also needs a serious battery to run all this.

Theta uses a circle for image caption, so it could be doing this on a square sensor. Using the 1" sensor is probably cheaper then making a special order sensor.

There is enough resolution for 6k video, so it is a pitty it doesn't offer it (yet).
02-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #33
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

- Together with the new Fn button the OLED display allows for switching between "Normal Shooting" and "Self Timer Shooting", switching among three types of plug-in, turning off, switching to mute mode and more
Wow, I really didn't think they could fit two 1" sensors in there, even with the slightly increased thickness. This will no doubt deliver wonderful still images.

Even so, I think the reviewers will slam the 4K video. Several of the competitors are closer to 6K now. Bigger sensors and better lenses probably compensate for the lesser resolution in real life, but the specs will make it harder to win through in the marketing.

The better controls will be very welcome, though. Having to use a less than perfect app for pretty much everything can be a bit cumbersome at times.
02-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Theta uses a circle for image caption, so it could be doing this on a square sensor. Using the 1" sensor is probably cheaper then making a special order sensor.
This means they actually use the surface of just a little more then one 1" sensor in total for the two lenses. Combined that into the image that gives the 360 image. A huge improvement in IQ. Just don't be tricket by the use of two of those sensors, since that won't bring twice the IQ of one of the Sony rx100 camera's that uses one of those sensors.

02-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #35
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Wow, I really didn't think they could fit two 1" sensors in there, even with the slightly increased thickness. This will no doubt deliver wonderful still images.

Even so, I think the reviewers will slam the 4K video. Several of the competitors are closer to 6K now. Bigger sensors and better lenses probably compensate for the lesser resolution in real life, but the specs will make it harder to win through in the marketing.

The better controls will be very welcome, though. Having to use a less than perfect app for pretty much everything can be a bit cumbersome at times.
Can the human eye easily tell the difference between K at a glance? The way the brain uses its internal AA filter I wonder what the difference on a properly calibrated display, (not set to be oversaturated on the 6K set,) would look like side by side. I do not trust the TVs displayed in retail stores due to the extreme variability in the stings and where the TVs are placed.
02-24-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #36
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Can the human eye easily tell the difference between K at a glance? The way the brain uses its internal AA filter I wonder what the difference on a properly calibrated display, (not set to be oversaturated on the 6K set,) would look like side by side. I do not trust the TVs displayed in retail stores due to the extreme variability in the stings and where the TVs are placed.
I would think better optics and bigger sensor are more important than the resolution, but 4K isn't that much when spread out over a complete sphere. For "normal" video I'm not sure I see the point with 4K at all - but then I'm not into video.

Shooting video with the Theta is great fun, though
02-24-2019, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Theta V is has a 1/2.3" sensor (6.17mm X 4.55mm) and is 17.9mm thick (not counting the bulbous lens).
Theta Z1 has 1 1" sensor (13.2mm X 8.8mm) and is 24mm thick (not counting the lenses).

The sensors are oriented vertically, so it's the smaller dimension that will impact the width of the new Theta. As I see it, they need 4.25mm more width for the sensor in the Z1, but actually added 6.1mm. This leaves 1.85mm extra width for added features, like fairy dust or laser beams.
02-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Excellent specs.

02-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At first I was thinking "Awwww" cause my Theta V is less than a year old... and then I saw the apparent price of the Z1.... so, all good haha.
02-25-2019, 01:09 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Officially announced:

A camera that can shoot 360-degree spherical images in a single shot RICOH THETA Z1?RICOH IMAGING
02-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
U.S. RRP is $999.95.

Product | RICOH THETA Z1
02-25-2019, 02:26 AM   #42
Pentaxian

U.S. RRP is $999.95.

Product | RICOH THETA Z1
Well this looks like a great device. This was what I was pushing for in 2016. So they delivered........good!

For the next quality step they should make a Theta with 3 lenses, 3 x 120 degrees on three 1" sensors delivering a much higher quality and 8K video. Oooohhh that will cost $1999.95
02-25-2019, 02:32 AM   #43

U.S. RRP is $999.95.

Product | RICOH THETA Z1
I hope to see same numbers in Europe.
02-25-2019, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

I still have a Theta S and I love it as a complement to my travel photography. It's great to make those 360s that can show the people back home exactly what a place looks like, esp great for locations they are likely to never visit themselves. I have a set of goggles that can load a smartphone, which makes for a great VR experience. I do include the odd little planet in my photo books, but not too many because viewers would get tired of the effect.

I would love an upgrade with a bigger sensor and RAW file format, because esp when things get slightly darkish the IQ gets rather low. Unfortunately the price of this Z1 (strange they reused the name of a Pentax SLR) is a bit steep to justify just for my "gimmick" use. Esp with the DA*11-18/2.8 and the GR III taking up much of my budget.

Still, I'm looking forward to the results, and who knows, when the price comes down...

Wim
02-25-2019, 03:13 AM   #45
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I still have a Theta S and I love it as a complement to my travel photography. It's great to make those 360s that can show the people back home exactly what a place looks like, esp great for locations they are likely to never visit themselves. I have a set of goggles that can load a smartphone, which makes for a great VR experience. I do include the odd little planet in my photo books, but not too many because viewers would get tired of the effect.

I would love an upgrade with a bigger sensor and RAW file format, because esp when things get slightly darkish the IQ gets rather low. Unfortunately the price of this Z1 (strange they reused the name of a Pentax SLR) is a bit steep to justify just for my "gimmick" use. Esp with the DA*11-18/2.8 and the GR III taking up much of my budget.

Still, I'm looking forward to the results, and who knows, when the price comes down...

Wim
Yes, the low-light performance should be significantly better and a very welcome improvement. But as you say, the price has "improved" as well My use, too, falls into the "gimicky" category, so I'll stick to the S for now.

Interesting to see that the raw files are listed to be 7,296 3,648 pixels while the JPEGs are 6,720 3,360 pixels. I guess there's some overlap between the two halves.