Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Your need at the museum is clearly a professional use case, where the Z1 is targeted.
Yes, precisely.
QuoteQuote:
Iím not certain this Forum fully understands the importance of Theta to RIcoh Imaging.
I think that is a correct assessment. Many of the derogatory comments I see about the device are made by people who don't understand its potential in professional settings, or are silly tek-boys (always males!) who just like to niggle about everything. Pathetic.
QuoteQuote:
For most older still photographers it looks like an interesting toy
Well, that would depend on what you've been doing with photography. If a hobbyist, then really all the gear you own is a "toy". But for industrial inspection, construction inspection, museum conservation inspection of things difficult to inspect (like the interior of a cast sculpture...), for real estate and museum "walk-through" images that can be put up on the web, and much more for professional use, this is a very valuable upgrade (I already have a V, and as I said will get the Z1 as soon as possible)
QuoteQuote:
but Pano shooters ought to pay attention.
it's a cool vacation camera, and it allows for immersive stills that you can access as you will, instead of being tied to the linearity of a video. Of course, it does video too.
QuoteQuote:
The cost of landscape lens + stable legs + pano head is in the ballpark of Z1, plus it can be a one-shot capture rather than a dozen or more.
True, but most of those going to the trouble of a tripod and a pano head will probably looking for better quality than even this can give.
QuoteQuote:
A lot will depend on how robust the Adobe file handling is. Good that RI is actively working with Adobe.
All true, and I hope a door is opened for further work with Adobe on the Pentax side of things, like PS tech (and more).

03-25-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #92
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

A demo of the Lightroom stiching workflow. Found the link in 360 Rumors' "preview" - Ricoh Theta Z1 specifications, features, sample photos - 360 Rumors

03-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #93
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes. I think that site is where I read all my optinmistic observations above but I couldnít ind the site again when it was time to link for quotes.
03-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #94
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe later in the year - but then there will probably be a KP-2, a new APSc flagship and a new FF.
I'm not expecting another KP - it started without a ready clientele, and apparently it hasn't built much of a clientele since then.

03-25-2019, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #95
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not expecting another KP - it started without a ready clientele, and apparently it hasn't built much of a clientele since then.
There was a bit of irony in my comment, but Iím not so sure the KP is as bad or ignored as many people here think it is. In the USA - and especially on this Forum - the KP suffers mostly from the fact of what it isnít.*

*The K-3 replacement everyone wanted.
03-25-2019, 11:07 PM - 4 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP suffers mostly from the fact of what it isn’t.**The K-3 replacement everyone wanted.
It's always very difficult for a cook to satisfy people who just came out of lunch. People have been crying for year for a full frame camera when Canon and Nikon were selling it between $3K to $4K. Now, the K1 sells for $1300, and people don't care, they say "it's too big, to slow, not enough reach, too expensive...bla bla bla..." Our 1st world economies are very fragile because we are at splitting hairs over things that aren't vital, any change in peoples mood can turn the economy into a crisis, and bullshit jobs are legion and the worst paid jobs are some of the most useful.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-25-2019 at 11:15 PM.
03-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's always very difficult for a cook to satisfy people who just came out of lunch. People have been crying for year for a full frame camera when Canon and Nikon were selling it between $3K to $4K. Now, the K1 sells for $1300, and people don't care, they say "it's too big, to slow, not enough reach, too expensive...bla bla bla..." Our 1st world economies are very fragile because we are at splitting hairs over things that aren't vital, any change in peoples mood can turn the economy into a crisis, and bullshit jobs are legion and the worst paid jobs are some of the most useful.
Amen, brother/sister.
04-11-2019, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
When can we expect Z1 in the stores?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Release date: end of March according to Ricoh Imaging.
Ricoh Imaging just published a press release indicating that Theta Z1, together with the other Ricoh cameras announced in late February, are delayed (save for GR III, which is available). No new release date has been decided yet.

See Ricoh WG-6 / G900 / Theta Z-1 get delayed - PentaxForums.com for further details.
Ricoh Imaging just published a press release indicating that Theta Z1 is scheduled to be released on Friday 24 May.

See Ricoh WG-6 / G900 / Theta Z-1 get delayed - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com for further details.

04-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging just published a press release indicating that Theta Z1 is scheduled to be released on Friday 24 May.

See Ricoh WG-6 / G900 / Theta Z-1 get delayed - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com for further details.
Thanks for these posts. B&H 's site today shows "expected May 13", FWIW.
04-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All good things come in april...... K-1 in april 2016......magic month
04-24-2019, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #101
JPT
Pentaxian

I noticed a review on the Z1 is out now. Itís in Japanese and I havenít had a chance to read through it yet.

????????RICOH THETA Z1 - ???? Watch

It has some samples, though.
04-25-2019, 01:56 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Love the sequence with the cherry blossoms. Something that id you told me about in advance I would think was revoltingly sweet, yet it is utterly charming.

I'm thinking I am going to love using this thing once I get my greedy hands on it.
04-29-2019, 03:29 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Kimio Tanaka tried the Theta Z1 and he has been impressed by the significant improvement in image quality in comparison with the Theta V. He thinks the great improvement in the lenses' performance has a bigger impact on image quality than the increase in sensor size from 1/2.3" to 1".

https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1122663228230602753
04-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #104
JPT
Pentaxian

I just noticed this promotional video on the Z1 product site. The video was put up a few few weeks ago but it's the first time I've seen it.

The site is here The time you can express your work in 360į has come. | RICOH THETA Z1

The image quality look really good to me - nice colours and DR.
05-09-2019, 05:46 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Original Poster
  • New Ricoh Theta Stitcher plug-in for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC
  • New versions of the Ricoh Theta basic smartphone app (iOS / Android), Ricoh Theta computer app and Ricoh Theta file transfer app. They are know compatible with Ricoh Theta Z1.

RICOH THETA Z1 app release notice ?RICOH THETA App Version Update Information | RICOH THETA