Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
When can we expect Z1 in the stores?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Release date: end of March according to Ricoh Imaging.
Ricoh Imaging just published a press release indicating that Theta Z1, together with the other Ricoh cameras announced in late February, are delayed (save for GR III, which is available). No new release date has been decided yet.

See Ricoh WG-6 / G900 / Theta Z-1 get delayed - PentaxForums.com for further details.

03-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #77
Veteran Member

I would give "unlike" but I am patient Before CP+ I was ready for new da* 11-18 and hoping for announcements of new APS-C body and new version of da* 16-50. After CP+ I've ordered dfa 24-70 and K-1 and ready to buy theta Z1. Year of investments in camera gear.
03-18-2019, 09:47 AM - 4 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Στέργει γὰρ οὐδεὶς ἄγγελον κακῶν ἐπῶν (Sophocles, Antigone) = no one delights in the bearer of bad news.

'Gracious sir, I that do bring the news made not the match.'

In modern language: don't shoot the messenger!
03-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Στέργει γὰρ οὐδεὶς ἄγγελον κακῶν ἐπῶν (Sophocles, Antigone) = no one delights in the bearer of bad news.

PF members always amaze me! I wouldn't expect to read ancient Greek in here, but I was wrong

I hope I will be similarly amazed by the new APS-C from Pentax!

03-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Unlike goes to the message.
The messenger always get "like" - no matter how good or bad is the message itself.
03-23-2019, 08:52 PM - 3 Likes   #81
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got the latest issue of Nippon Camera, and they have an article on the Theta Z1. Mostly it was a run-down of the specs and capabilities, but there were a few things I hadn't seen before.

The Z1 is aimed at professionals as well as the consumer market. It was designed to respond to some specific concerns of that group, such as offering RAW capture and reducing ghosting.

They are working with Adobe to make sure their software supports it from day one. They are also planning to release a new plug-in called Ricoh Theta Stitcher with the camera.

They explained that the sensors in this camera are 4:3 aspect, which I believe is different from other 1 inch cameras on the market. I guess it's possible that these are a custom design for Ricoh.

They also showed the new lens caps TL-1 and TL-2 for the Theta SC/V and Z1 respectively. I missed these at CP+, but they are a smart design, protecting the lenses when attached to the top, and acting as a more stable base for the Theta when attached to the bottom. They are pretty cheap too, although I suspect some will say they should be included in the box for free.

Finally, I was in the Ricoh Imaging Forum in Shinjuku yesterday, and they are displaying the Z1 in a glass case. It has been delayed, but I think there is little doubt that it will be released eventually. It's not cancelled.
03-24-2019, 12:59 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I got the latest issue of Nippon Camera, and they have an article on the Theta Z1. Mostly it was a run-down of the specs and capabilities, but there were a few things I hadn't seen before.

The Z1 is aimed at professionals as well as the consumer market. It was designed to respond to some specific concerns of that group, such as offering RAW capture and reducing ghosting.

They are working with Adobe to make sure their software supports it from day one. They are also planning to release a new plug-in called Ricoh Theta Stitcher with the camera.

They explained that the sensors in this camera are 4:3 aspect, which I believe is different from other 1 inch cameras on the market. I guess it's possible that these are a custom design for Ricoh.

They also showed the new lens caps TL-1 and TL-2 for the Theta SC/V and Z1 respectively. I missed these at CP+, but they are a smart design, protecting the lenses when attached to the top, and acting as a more stable base for the Theta when attached to the bottom. They are pretty cheap too, although I suspect some will say they should be included in the box for free.

Finally, I was in the Ricoh Imaging Forum in Shinjuku yesterday, and they are displaying the Z1 in a glass case. It has been delayed, but I think there is little doubt that it will be released eventually. It's not cancelled.
I wonder whether “working with Adobe to make sure their software supports it from day one” has anything to do with the delays since two of the three delayed cameras are clearly aimed at professional / B2B users. I imagine Adobe file processing support would be mandatory to ensure a successful launch in those niches.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-24-2019 at 01:06 AM.
03-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wonder whether “working with Adobe to make sure their software supports it from day one” has anything to do with the delays since two of the three delayed cameras are clearly aimed at professional / B2B users. I imagine Adobe file processing support would be mandatory to ensure a successful launch in those niches.
This theory is attractive but I'm afraid Ricoh G900's and G900SE's only output is jpeg files (apart from video files, obviously).
03-24-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

Z1 Sample
Ricoh Theta Z1 specifications, features, sample photos - 360 Rumors
03-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First of all, thanks for this sharp-eyed report.
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

The Z1 is aimed at professionals
And that's my reason to purchase.
QuoteQuote:
as well as the consumer market. It was designed to respond to some specific concerns of that group, such as offering RAW capture and reducing ghosting.
RAW capture is huge, imo. Lessening of ghosting also a big plus.

QuoteQuote:
They are working with Adobe to make sure their software supports it from day one.
Excellent, and I'd rather see a delay for this than a premature roll-out with incomplete or bad support.
QuoteQuote:
They are also planning to release a new plug-in called Ricoh Theta Stitcher with the camera.
Well, now! This is interesting to hear for the first time!

QuoteQuote:
Fascinating....I would say that that's amazing, but also that it seems to me that the 4/3rds ratio would be a better one for the stitching process. Perhaps better for integration with my Z, but that's another story (see: multi-imaging video on YouTube)
QuoteQuote:

They are already on offer as a pre-order bundle from Amazon (Adorama on Amazon, I think)
QuoteQuote:

No way it's cancelled.
03-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
No way it's cancelled.
Who said it's cancelled? Should I look for a "Ricoh should put the Theta on hold" thread?
03-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Who said it's cancelled?
We are all a bunch of canny politicians, so no one was so foolish as to say it is cancelled. Given that the Theta Z and the WG-6 were held back only 10 days before they were due to be released into the wild and how difficult it is to see which components are shared between them, I suspect the real reason is relatively trivial. If this happened in Canada, I would guess that someone forgot to get the owner's manual printed in both official languages. If Japanese bureaucrats are like ours, 60 days for processing official documentation sounds about right, so my bet is on a regulatory issue.
03-24-2019, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The theta360.com website is aggressively marketing the Z1 - pop ups appear at every new page load.

RE: the new, improved stitching you select the stitch point and can therefore hide the (significantly reduced) loss of resolution at the join. You can also select the roll, pitch and yaw of the stitched image. None of that even starts to describe the significantly improved resolution, flare control (especially the red spot) control of PF and CA (MUCH reduced).

I want this.
I want the GRlll.
I want the DA*11~18/2.8.

Unfortunately I’m supposed to be selling, not buying. Maybe later in the year - but then there will probably be a KP-2, a new APSc flagship and a new FF.
03-25-2019, 06:07 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The theta360.com website is aggressively marketing the Z1 - pop ups appear at every new page load.

RE: the new, improved stitching you select the stitch point and can therefore hide the (significantly reduced) loss of resolution at the join. You can also select the roll, pitch and yaw of the stitched image. None of that even starts to describe the significantly improved resolution, flare control (especially the red spot) control of PF and CA (MUCH reduced).

I want this.
I want the GRlll.
I want the DA*11~18/2.8.

Unfortunately I’m supposed to be selling, not buying. Maybe later in the year - but then there will probably be a KP-2, a new APSc flagship and a new FF.
Even more goodness. I preordered, then the delay was announced, so I archived my order. But I will start my order up again as soon as the delay is over. I think this will be a very useful device at work. I discussed it with our head of AV and he was impressed. What we are using now is a Rube Goldberg GoPro "ball", that was both expensive and doesn't work well at all.
03-25-2019, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Even more goodness. I preordered, then the delay was announced, so I archived my order. But I will start my order up again as soon as the delay is over. I think this will be a very useful device at work. I discussed it with our head of AV and he was impressed. What we are using now is a Rube Goldberg GoPro "ball", that was both expensive and doesn't work well at all.
Your need at the museum is clearly a professional use case, where the Z1 is targeted. I’m not certain this Forum fully understands the importance of Theta to RIcoh Imaging. For most older still photographers it looks like an interesting toy but Pano shooters ought to pay attention. The cost of landscape lens + stable legs + pano head is in the ballpark of Z1, plus it can be a one-shot capture rather than a dozen or more. A lot will depend on how robust the Adobe file handling is. Good that RI is actively working with Adobe.