Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 602 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #781
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Should I dare to say that some don’t care. But if there is accelerator chip, then they do.

I would like optical things be contolled straight out. That is why some pay for ’premium’..
Exactly. Sony lenses are actually priced higher than competitors (at least the top end lenses are). If I am paying that price for a K mount lens, I want it be good without computer aiding.

01-08-2020, 03:18 PM - 4 Likes   #782
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm thinking it might be like the DA* 55 and the new DFA 50. Great lenses for different reasons. Just wish I could afford to buy them all.
Do what I did: become a great cook and marry into money.
01-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #783
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Do what I did: become a great cook and marry into money.
I'm divorced and in my mid 50's. Is it too late?!!!
01-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #784
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Yes, DP Review's assessment of the Pentax lens -- in comparison to other similar lenses -- seemed to be based on an unfairly large number of shots taken in very challenging conditions:

RICOH ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF HD PENTAX-D FA★50mm F1.4 SDM AW STAR-SERIES LENS - Page 71 - PentaxForums.com

I wonder whether DP Review will take a similar approach with the new Pentax 85mm, if they decide to review it.

- Craig
Honestly, it's not even a question that needs asking. Of course they're going to be putting it through a similar unfair approach. Although the pictures they produced with the *50 were rather good.

Last edited by MikeyBugs95; 01-08-2020 at 05:15 PM.
01-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #785
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Exactly. Sony lenses are actually priced higher than competitors (at least the top end lenses are). If I am paying that price for a K mount lens, I want it be good without computer aiding.
That almost sounds like valid reason to buy K-mount lenses(or tokina variant of the same lens) over something else

---------- Post added 01-09-20 at 08:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Honestly, it's not even a question that needs asking. Of course they're going to be putting it through a similar unfair approach. Although the pictures they produced with the *50 were rather good.
This might be one of the reasons why Ricoh finish lenses all the way untill release. Not only because of these torture tests ofcourse, but to not let people to have something to complain about. They know that Pentaxians are looking after their pennies, so you have to impress immediatelly
01-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #786

thanks

Last edited by dexdorma310878; 01-21-2020 at 12:37 AM.
01-09-2020, 01:10 AM   #787
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dexdorma310878 Quote
As it goes on with Pentax, hardly anyone will stay here, I have a problem selling Sigma 35 art, condition as new, it's impossible.
Folks have predicted doom and gloom about Pentax for years, but the brand continues due to amazing support from its core user base, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I expect support for the brand and activity in these forums to be just as strong going forward.

As for your Sigma 35 Art, it will sell if the price is right and you advertise it in a busy market. I guarantee it. Only recently, there was a long discussion thread here with numerous members saying how disappointed they were that Sigma has stopped making lenses in K-mount - so there's undoubtedly demand. You just need to supply that demand at the correct price (of course, that may not match what you actually want). Try listing it in our Marketplace... things tend to sell well there if priced appropriately

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-09-2020 at 02:02 AM.
01-09-2020, 01:41 AM   #788
Veteran Member

I was looking at the used market for the 35 1.4 art myself.
At least in german ebay they are significantly higher prized (200€ more) than those with canon and nikon mounts and harder to get too.
01-09-2020, 01:43 AM   #789
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
That almost sounds like valid reason to buy K-mount lenses(or tokina variant of the same lens) over something else

---------- Post added 01-09-20 at 08:22 ----------

This might be one of the reasons why Ricoh finish lenses all the way untill release. Not only because of these torture tests ofcourse, but to not let people to have something to complain about. They know that Pentaxians are looking after their pennies, so you have to impress immediatelly
Honestly, I prefer it that way. I'm not necessarily a very patient person just by personality but I'd rather have a fully or nearly fully finished lens than a lens that was rushed and hurried and full of faults. I'm the same way when I'm designing things. I want my projects to be as accurate and compete as possible when I release them. I don't want to have to go back and correct something unless I have to.
01-09-2020, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #790
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I was looking at the used market for the 35 1.4 art myself.
At least in german ebay they are significantly higher prized (200€ more) than those with canon and nikon mounts and harder to get too.
That suggests there's plenty of demand for the lens in K-mount. Sellers set their price and if it's too high, it won't sell, so they reduce it until it does. If there's a common level at which the K-mount 35/1.4 Art is listed, it's because that's what it has been successfully selling for recently. Market forces... supply and demand

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-09-2020 at 02:02 AM.
01-09-2020, 03:25 AM   #791
Pentaxian

Honestly, I prefer it that way. I'm not necessarily a very patient person just by personality but I'd rather have a fully or nearly fully finished lens than a lens that was rushed and hurried and full of faults. I'm the same way when I'm designing things. I want my projects to be as accurate and compete as possible when I release them. I don't want to have to go back and correct something unless I have to.
This is why I stay with Pentax. Ofcourse there are those SMD problems at past, but lenses them self are top. And now those problems with motors are gone(with new lenses). Little slower than ’others’ but if lens it self is pristine and give great result, it is worth it. With minimal corrections ofcourse. That is high quality.

With short flange lenses you go for other kind of performance. These corrections in post seems faulty to me, but some does not mind.
01-09-2020, 03:39 AM   #792

Photos: Gallery
waaaww

a real treasure is a dream optical quality, it's the dream of any photographer.
01-09-2020, 03:52 AM   #793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Can't you just use the same parameters you used for the previous work"
"Yes, but that doesn't mean they will still be optimal"

I've lost count of how many times something like that has played out in my life...
01-09-2020, 04:02 AM   #794
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That suggests there's plenty of demand for the lens in K-mount. Sellers set their price and if it's too high, it won't sell, so they reduce it until it does. If there's a common level at which the K-mount 35/1.4 Art is listed, it's because that's what it has been successfully selling for recently. Market forces... supply and demand
Exactly.

The other side of the trueth however is, that the amount of available products is rather low, so at a given time there might be availability but no demand, and another given time the opposite. The smaller the total amount is, the worse you can apply simple statistics of supply and demand. At least looking at the German market (no 35 1.4 art available for 3 weeks now) this effect is already important. So expensive lenses do not necessarily mean, there is a high demand.
01-09-2020, 05:14 AM   #795
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Exactly.

The other side of the trueth however is, that the amount of available products is rather low, so at a given time there might be availability but no demand, and another given time the opposite. The smaller the total amount is, the worse you can apply simple statistics of supply and demand. At least looking at the German market (no 35 1.4 art available for 3 weeks now) this effect is already important. So expensive lenses do not necessarily mean, there is a high demand.
Ebay's a great way to circumvent that. The lens is worth what people will pay at any given time - not a penny more, and not a penny less. So you (a) research what others are selling and have sold for, (b) list your item to end at a time when most people will be at home and awake rather than at work or asleep, and (c) set a reserve price at the absolute minimum you're prepared to accept (allowing for eBay fees). In a market such as Germany where few if any examples are currently available, that should do wonders for the potential bidding as there's no competition...

I know you probably know this... I'm just mentioning it as part of the conversation, and to help our new member who's trying to sell his lens

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-09-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Closed Thread