Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Is it a flash housing? I see no gaps so perhaps a GPS? Maybe an updated processor for that ever desirable faster write speed and larger buffer? Or is it a pump fake to hide the K-3 replacement.
The flash release button is still there, however.

Delighted to see the 85, and even more delighted at so many releases and announces these days.
So Ricoh/Pentax are not that doomed, aren't they

02-25-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The custom KP has already been discussed HERE. It's interesting to see that Ricoh might be officially on board with it.

(...)
Indeed, the KP Custom was reported upon twice on Facebook, the first time on 19 February 2018

?PENTAX KP?????????????... - ?????? (PENTAX by RICOH IMAGING) | Facebook

and the second time on 13 February 2019

???? ??????Yuzu??????????????????PENTAX... - ?????? (PENTAX by RICOH IMAGING) | Facebook

Both times it was presented as a personal creation from the designer of the Pentax K-30, made for his personal use.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
(...)

and five-sided front of prism housing (*)

and gold lettering

and printing on side of prism housing (*)

I'm guessing it's just an appearance thing.

(*) if they really meant to make these changes for this model
...and no on-board flash any more. Built-in GPS instead?

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
The flash release button is still there, however.

(...):
Indeed.

Last edited by Mistral75; 02-25-2019 at 08:32 PM.
02-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Crikey!!! Nice to see even a Mock -up of the DFA85 . Looks LARRRRRRRGE.....

(...)
Not so much when you take out the lens hood. I was afraid it would be much bigger.

02-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Showing of the 85mm is good. Looks good, significant , following the trend of Sigma and Canon.

02-25-2019, 08:32 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not so much when you take out the lens hood. I was afraid it would be much bigger.
The Hood on the FA*85 is the same, Huge Hood, the lens itself is quite a nice little size, considering the hunk of glass it is.

Just looking at the size relationship of the width and length of the lens barrel itself to the Mount, I think it will be big enough

Glad they are making it a full hood, and not a Petal style. Don't get me wrong, I like the petal hood on the DFA*50, but , would actually have preferred a conventional Hood for practicality. (IE you can stand the camera and lens straight up on the hood when you put it down, rather than placing the camera and lens on it's side all the time - but that's just a person preference thing )
02-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think the story is that design was a body modification home-brewed by a Pentax employee [per Mistral75 below, the designer of the K-30]. I’d guess he showed it to the design team and they used it for the special edition KP Custom. The image appears to be from an official Ricoh Imaging Press Release.
Carefully reading the tiny print in the document @OoKU pointed us to, I see the words "Adopted special coated mount, wooden grip, original top cover". I'm not sure what the first item means, but the last seems to imply that the top with a five-sided front was the original design, but they changed to the three-sided front for production {perhaps easier to fabricate??}. In case anyone is wondering, I'm perfectly happy with my $700 Silver one.
02-25-2019, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Both times it was presented as a personal creation from the designer of the Pentax K-30, made for his personal use.

...and no on-board flash any more. Built-in GPS instead?

Indeed.
I just took out my KP from my bag, seem the cover is protuding more in the front than mine. I will not be surpprise is this is a snap-on cover. You can sse on the side that it's larger than the base of the camera. It's also follow the hinge and this mean the cover will go up with the flash.

02-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Glad they are making it a full hood, and not a Petal style
Petal style is better optically, it is equivalent to a rectangular shade, often used for wide / standard fov. Lenses with longer the FL the less likely to catch flare, a round (less optimized) hood is fine.
02-25-2019, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I'm sitting here DFA* 50 in hand, at arm's length, comparing with the pictured DFA* 85. They are very similar. Brothers. Apart from the hood style, the most notable difference is that the 85 flares wider between the aperture window and the focus ring. The aperture ring itself appear to be exactly the same width, 12 rows of dimples. The distance from the gold ring to the start of the hood is actually a little shorter.

So overall, in comparison, I would say the DFA* 85 is a little wider and a little longer than the 50, but not by much. It certainly couldn't be any heavier without introducing white dwarf star matter.
02-25-2019, 10:21 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Announcing the 85 after two years of postponement is funny Good to see it is on the way.
KP has space for EVF in prism box - that would really be big news.

There is a flash button on the prism… Maybe, Maybe not.

Last edited by zapp; 02-26-2019 at 03:55 AM.
02-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Announcing the 85 after two years of postponement is funny Good to see it is on the way.
In fact, it was scheduled to be the first of the DFA* series, Zapp, but market research (possibly in conjunction with Tokina) resulted in Pentax doing the Fat Fifty first.
02-25-2019, 11:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The KP design revision looks great.

I do worry, however, a few potential problems from the changed design. Specifically: the impact of the higher prism housing on the ability of third-party flashes to fit on the hot-shoe of the camera. And the potential impact of the deeper prism overhang on mounting some large diameter lenses ...

I am also curious about the symbols or marks visible in the red-circle. Is this meant to indicate GPS functionality or something will be in the new KP?

02-25-2019, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #28

Seeing 85/1.4 mockup is a great news! Therefore, I would not expect it hits he shelfes berfore CP+ 2020...
02-25-2019, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The KP design revision looks great.

I do worry, however, a few potential problems from the changed design. Specifically: the impact of the higher prism housing on the ability of third-party flashes to fit on the hot-shoe of the camera. And the potential impact of the deeper prism overhang on mounting some large diameter lenses ...

I am also curious about the symbols or marks visible in the red-circle. Is this meant to indicate GPS functionality or something will be in the new KP?
I think this pattern of three circular openings is a decorative motif. It appeared in more places on the original posting of this custom design KP, namely on the thumb rest on the back of the camera and the front of the body beside the AF?MF switch. In those locations I could see them being grip or "traction" aids; on the flash housing (which is the only place I see them on the current iteration of this design), not so much.
02-25-2019, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 85 looks amazing! Great to see custom made KP. I take this model as one extra curiosity. 85 was real news.
Closed Thread