Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But they haven't released exactly what I want!
Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

How To Stop Kids From Whining - Stop Tantrums - YouTube

03-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess with regards to the DFA *85's release date, I still wouldn't be surprised to see it come out by the end of the year. There were considerable delays with getting the DFA *50 out the door that hopefully will not hit the 85. It may just be wishful thinking on my part. I'll continue to use the FA 77 in the meantime, but they'll get my money whenever it does come out.

As far as cameras go, I would be surprised if they finish the year without having released anything new. It might not be a flagship APS-C camera, but certainly the K70 is due for an update as is the 645z. And then there are Asahiman's statements about a new full frame camera. I think it will be an interesting year that will give plenty of clues as to the direction Pentax is heading. They just aren't the sort of brand who likes to give indications before they are ready.
Giving big promises before it's time could put them in trouble, even in shame. it has been always that they are keeping it cool untill very near of revealing their product. I also think that it can do more harm than good to give too much information away too early. These little twitter things what has been up here lately(they could have been there a while, but it is in Japanese) is enough.

I hope DFA 85 also 2019, but for me it is not as urgent as for you. I bought Sigma 85, while it is good, I'm little annoyed of it's focusing capability in lo contrast situations. MF is good to have, and not. I think that is is quite common problem with sigma. Fast lenses are like that sometimes. I bought it just to see, how badly i want DFA*85, and yes, compared to FA 77 bokeh, it is from other world when distance is greater than 1-2 meters. But FA 77 is not bad.
03-02-2019, 08:01 AM - 3 Likes   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’f you experience joy from the feel of holding a camera, using a camera or lens and interacting with them, joy from the act of making photographs, then you might be more inclined to spend your money here.
One of the reasons why many musicians spend money on gold or other precious metals on their instruments - silver instruments get bashed around and abused, but gold and platinum command respect.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
If you are into photography and always strive to improve your art over the long run then probably you will like tools which you can use and love over many years. In this case a refined design is something to be liked.
As I get older, I have to say physical design is a major attraction for me. For me, bells and whistles take a bit of a back seat over ergonomics and no-nonsense design.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I doubt the snap on prism housing cover would enhance my photographing experience but the custom grip on the KP might.
You know, for years I forgot the Pentax K5IIs even had a built in flash - I never use it. I'm too familiar with Canon 1D and Nikon D1 sans built in flash models
03-02-2019, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think I would phrase that differently as in "There is a new aps-c camera coming next year."
No, because that could mean "a K-90 is coming next year", and they have specifically been answering questions about a "K-3ii replacement".

03-02-2019, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #170
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, because that could mean "a K-90 is coming next year", and they have specifically been answering questions about a "K-3ii replacement".
I don't think we will see a new camera in the K-70 line. I don't see how to make money on such a camera in those low volumes. But who knows. There is a new camera coming...and that will not only be a "successor" to the K-3ii, but also replace the KP. And then the question is, wich one does it follow the most?
03-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #171
Pentaxian

I don't think we will see a new camera in the K-70 line. I don't see how to make money on such a camera in those low volumes. But who knows.
I don't know what volumes that line has been selling at, but they need something priced below the K-3ii replacement if they plan to continue selling APS-C cameras. I wouldn't be surprised if they just stretch out life of the K-70.

QuoteQuote:
There is a new camera coming...and that will not only be a "successor" to the K-3ii, but also replace the KP. And then the question is, which one does it follow the most?
It better have a buffer like the K-3ii; otherwise there would be no point to it; some users also insist on sense of security provided by two SD slots.
03-02-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #172
Pentaxian

There is a new camera coming...and that will not only be a "successor" to the K-3ii, but also replace the KP. And then the question is, wich one does it follow the most?
It should be none of the KP or K3. They should make use of electronic shutter as much as possible and automatically, to allow fast frame rates, low vibrations, best IQ. It should be , IMO a sensor driven machine, with mirror as an ad-on feature. Current Pentax camera are DSLR with a LV add-on. IMO, when the camera is in LV mode, it should be 100% electronic, completely silent with access to all camera controls without dropping the mirror, and when the camera use the optical path same thing. They should also drop the dial on top of the K1, kirky on the K1 but weird to use, replace 1 mode dial by software setting, and so have 2 big dials on top on each side of viewfinder, a nice square LCD on top. With such expensive camera, people shoot raw and develop with LR, it makes no sense to have all those gimmick features that clog the menus. It's better to have usbc charging and a high performance wifi connection with free software to access photographs via image processing software on PC, Android, iOS. Ricoh have to ditch some of the old software stuff from Pentax that in 2020 will not make sense anymore: ditch pixel shift, ditch OAA simulator etc... all these things are used for playing around, but never used for serious photography. Now if they keep pixel shift, instead of automatic stacking, they must also generate flat raw files so that they don't have to care about how third party software deal with pixel shift. Pentax was Ok, lacking on AF but the rest was fine, Ricoh got lost by adding more complexity to the firmware that most people never use. Make a Pentax camera that is rugged, simple to control and fast to operate, and with good wireless data transfer to external devices. Keep the K mount, built a camera that is quicker to operate and more silent.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-02-2019 at 09:38 AM.
03-02-2019, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It should be none of the KP or K3. They should make use of electronic shutter as much as possible and automatically, to allow fast frame rates, low vibrations, best IQ. It should be , IMO a sensor driven machine, with mirror as an ad-on feature. Current Pentax camera are DSLR with a LV add-on. IMO, when the camera is in LV mode, it should be 100% electronic, completely silent with access to all camera controls without dropping the mirror, and when the camera use the optical path same thing. They should also drop the dial on top of the K1, kirky on the K1 but weird to use, replace 1 mode dial by software setting, and so have 2 big dials on top on each side of viewfinder, a nice square LCD on top. With such expensive camera, people shoot raw and develop with LR, it makes no sense to have all those gimmick features that clog the menus. It's better to have usbc charging and a high performance wifi connection with free software to access photographs via image processing software on PC, Android, iOS. Ricoh have to ditch some of the old software stuff from Pentax that in 2020 will not make sense anymore: ditch pixel shift, ditch OAA simulator etc... all these things are used for playing around, but never used for serious photography. Now if they keep pixel shift, instead of automatic stacking, they must also generate flat raw files so that they don't have to care about how third party software deal with pixel shift. Pentax was Ok, lacking on AF but the rest was fine, Ricoh got lost by adding more complexity to the firmware that most people never use. Make a Pentax camera that is rugged, simple to control and fast to operate, and with good wireless data transfer to external devices. Keep the K mount, built a camera that is quicker to operate and more silent.
"Dial"???
My KP has the same design - 'mode dial', 'function dial', 'setting dial', 'front e-dial', and 'rear e-dial', and I love them all. I can change any component of the "exposure triangle" without removing the camera from my eye, and I can see the setup of the camera with a glance at the top. I would hate for Pentax to follow the example set by Sony of having so much 'soft' stuff, so much dependence on endless menus.
03-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #174
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
With the mirror up......one uses pdaf on sensor. So the currently used Safox module will be used much less, namelijk only when the mirror comes down. Ricoh-Imaging better makes the best out of it with testing that pdaf inside the GRIII.

It sounds great all you name, but also technical not so easy.
03-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #175
Veteran Member

I don't think we will see a new camera in the K-70 line. I don't see how to make money on such a camera in those low volumes. But who knows. There is a new camera coming...and that will not only be a "successor" to the K-3ii, but also replace the KP. And then the question is, wich one does it follow the most?
Very important point you underlined Ron, especially after last january market numbers that there not enticing...

I still believe there is more to lose in not lauching a K70 successor than to win e.g. a mere cut in spendings or internal resources reallocation:
- it provides some sort of critical mass in terms of products range. Unless several FF are launched in the future no K70 means a K1 II plus KP/K3 III only range which is just anecdotal though efficient. An alternative could be to let aging KP slide to mid level by pricing it accordingly and insert K3 III below K1 II
- it brings a very good bang for bucks body that could "relatively easily" attract new clients to the brand or keep existing Pentax users who want to downgrade (k-x brought me to pentax almost 10 years ago), knowing once advanced R&D is embedded in pricey bodies it is always doable to limit related features and put them into entry level cameras
- it is cheaper to develop and manufacture but margins are necessarily smaller but attach rate of lenses to be sold is necessarily lower than for upper models
- it enables to attack lower income markets
- it brings newsflow...
03-02-2019, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I think many posts tell a story of how someone positions himself.

If you are into photography and always strive to improve your art over the long run then probably you will like tools which you can use and love over many years. In this case a refined design is something to be liked.

On the other hand if your main focus is to have the always latest gadget as surrogate for skill and all you care for is technical specs then the camera is pretty much a throw away toy and you won't spend a thought on making it "nicer". Any all black or silver entertainment electronics device will do - for a year or two, after which it is gone anyway in the search for another gadget that has more "auto-this" or "auto-that" green modes.

I would love to see a K-1 in the matte grey KP look with the light wooden grip. MUCH better than the boring black.
What if you're someone who is into photography and strives to improve my art, is also fascinated by technological improvements in photography, but somehow isn't a vapid, shallow green-button addict totally dependent on auto-this or auto-that?

There's a lot of room between sophisticate artisans and their fine mahogany grips, and shallow rich guys who buy ever-higher-spec cameras every three weeks but don't have a clue as to how to use them. I'd guess that middle ground is most of us.
03-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
What if you're someone who is into photography and strives to improve my art, is also fascinated by technological improvements in photography, but somehow isn't a vapid, shallow green-button addict totally dependent on auto-this or auto-that?
It's perfect to have people who buy new cameras on a regular basis, we need them to finance the R&D of camera companies. The smart buyer is the one who wait for a couple of tech generations to pass in order to get the same tech for a lot cheaper. We know from history that the latest camera gear is always so great that as soon as the next model is released, the value of the previous model falls to ground level.
03-02-2019, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #178
Pentaxian

Hey! Leave my green button out of this! I have love&hate relationship with it, but some times it is a life safer. Better that Av or Sv modes. Which can also be fun to use. If you are out of what now, or lazy or busy. Green button is your friend. As long as you don’t happen to have flashes set up and action begins bit early and while you have been chimping/looking pictures and accidentally push green button while bringin camera on your eye level. Just a example, dunno why anyone would do things like that..
03-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #179
Pentaxian

Still no 85 yet...
03-28-2019, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't totally understand what you are saying here, but I don't agree with the part that I do understand.

I suppose I should read up on the green button - right now the only thing I use it for is setting exposure when I use an old manual-everything lens ..... little to do what "auto-this and auto-that".

I do use various auto modes - Av, Tv, and TAv. Once I have decided what parameters are important to me, and have assigned values to those parameters, I see no reason to reject help from the processor in setting the other ones; life is too short to do everything yourself - on the rare occasion I do carpentry, I don't start off with a tree.
Closed Thread