Dedicated website: PENTAX KP J limited / デジタル一眼レフカメラ / 製品 | RICOH IMAGING

¥148,500 in Ricoh Imaging Store (¥137,700 for the regular KP):

PENTAX KP J limited | RICOH IMAGING

06-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
At CP+, I believe what was displayed was just a prism cover - you could actually remove it to expose the normal KP prism housing... So really, just a new color (sorry, I mean two new colors!), a new grip and a piece of plastic to give the prism housing a new shape (while probably blocking the built-in flash when in use). See this PF article. I would not be hopeful that anything's changed since then.
Thanks, but I'd seen all that previous stuff. I was just expressing a hope for something more substantial, ie that the CP+ showing was a reference design exercise, and not the final product.
06-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #288
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm not so sure. The KP J Limited was just announced on the Japanese website. There is nothing yet on the English version.

APS-Cサイズ搭載ミドルクラスデジタル一眼レフカメラ 「PENTAX KP J limited」を新発売|RICOH IMAGING

Production approach is BTO (build to order). Release date is 31 July 2019 for orders received until 30 June.
  • body colours: Black & Gold and Dark Night Navy
  • custom wood grip
  • Duratect DLC coated mount flange
  • custom top cover
  • custom metal hot shoe cover
  • specific landscape settings 'PH-mode Yoshimura', supervised by photographer Kazutoshi Yoshimura, are registered in user mode U5 of the mode dial
The wood grip is nice but don't think I would pay for extra on this fancy part.
Don't think the KP is a collector level camera.
I would keep my MX, LX over it.
06-13-2019, 05:29 AM   #289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thanks, but I'd seen all that previous stuff. I was just expressing a hope for something more substantial, ie that the CP+ showing was a reference design exercise, and not the final product.
I see. I admire your optimism...

06-13-2019, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
Tough crowd.

Do you have a K-P?
06-13-2019, 11:00 AM - 2 Likes   #291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
The KP is not a collector level camera.
This KP J will be sold as a collector camera.
You don't have to purchase one, just as you didn't purchase a Silver K-3.
The MX and LX were film cameras, so any comparison is irrelevant at best.
06-13-2019, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This KP J will be sold as a collector camera
I'm in a quandary... the K-3 replacement isn't out, the K-P has things my K-3 doesn't, features that have me taking the K-1 over the K-3 just because they aren't there. The K-P definitely would see more use if it had Pixel shift, the flippy back screen, etc.

And I like wooden grips. I like almost wooden anything. Wooden boats, wooden chairs, log houses, I wish there was wooden computers.

Do I wait or do I go for something special that won't come around again?

I know I'm going to wait, but the temptation is growing. If my K-3 died tomorrow, it would be game set match for this camera.

I don't know why people bother being so negative.
Do you really think you see something negative that nobody else sees, and that we can't figure it out for ourselves? Like we need your guidance?

06-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #293
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I like almost wooden anything.
Me too. Wood is a special material, hard enough to built solid things, yet soft enough that it can be cut, drilled, carved. I guess humanity owe its existence to trees and wood.

I wish there was wooden computers
I found wooden mouse(s) and keypad(s), made out of bamboo I think.

I wished camera makers include more wood in camera designs, but plastic/rubber seem to be more suited to low cost automated production.
06-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #294
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Please post the MTF chart for the D-FA* 50mm

Here it is, @Winder, the Pentax DFA*50mm is an outstanding lens:
Attached Images

06-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #295
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

How many of the Sigma ART lenses have you shot with?

I have my Sigma 35mm Art, and to be honest there's not a lot the FA31 doesn't already do, except that half stop!

But since you bring up the Sigma 50mm Art, check out the Cameraville's comparison of the Nikon 50mm and the Sigma 50mm Art with the DFA*50, Winder:
"now for landscape art these two cameras actually perform pretty interesting very interesting basically it looks quite identical at one point but once I go to the edge of both cameras you could tell that the Pentax edge to edge is actually a lot sharper than the Nikon and Sigma and that's just kind of like there you go guys there you go not just only the best landscape body out there the best 50mm 1.4 this thing has better edge to edge sharpness than this lens and that's just amazing guys so for the last test alot of you guys are probably thinking to yourself how it does this compare an outdoor scene with Sun coming down yes you guys are thinking that right now and I have to say all your Pentax scene is out there this is when you guys have to I'm just kidding guys you guys actually want this match yes you guys want basically the Nikon and Sigma doesn't handle flare that well pretty much so all in all I think on a day the Pentax K-1 with the new 50 millimeter 1.4 star glass lens it's a much better camera then this Sigma 50 millimeter 1.4 with a d-810"
And even see this Russian dude's comparison with the Sigma and the Zeiss Milvus (just translate in Chrome). He says the Pentax would be *even higher* if he shot with 50Mp like he did with the Zeiss. In fact, he could if he bought the Tokina version for his Canon 5DSR.

????? ? ???? ????????? HD PENTAX-D FA ? 50mm F1.4 SDM AW | ???? ??????? ?????????

Last edited by clackers; 06-13-2019 at 05:26 PM.
06-13-2019, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #296
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

No lens with the STAR designation should have that much LoCA. I'll say the same for Canon and the new 50mm F/1.2 RF. No top of the line lens should show fringing that bad.
That Sony of yours, according to DxOMark, has as much chromatic aberration as the Pentax DA*55, so don't start, @Winder!

It also has massive vignetting that is obviously coped with by baked in RAW corrections - 2.5eV! - like all the other baked in corrections, including for the bands of sensor pixels that can't be used for the picture because lacking a mirror and dedicated AF module they're needed for the PD autofocus, and heavy handed RAW noise reduction that eats stars.

The Pentax does not show any more chromatic aberration than any other f1.4 high quality lens when properly measured. ePhotozine is the only review site that did and concluded: "CA (Chromatic Aberration) is very well controlled, the centre especially so. In general shooting CA does not seem to be a problem, even in demanding situations such as branches against bright sky or the shot of the Astley Green head gear."

The Russian dude showed it's *less* than the Zeiss, just have a read of his data, linked above.

DPR offered no measurements, just cherry picked photos.

If you send me your A9 and Sigma 50mm Art, I will get purple and green fringing photos out of it, and then send them back to you!

Below is the Sigma 50mm Art. Credit: Lens Review and field test: Sigma 50mm/F1.4 HSM DG ART lens ? Akshay Jamwal Photography
Attached Images

Last edited by clackers; 06-14-2019 at 12:05 AM.
06-13-2019, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #297
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And @Winder, you must stop with this 'concern trolling' … you only want things better for us, and you're no Sony brand fanboi, it's just about the cameras and lenses you use.

In the Non-Pentax Forum you initiated a thread about profitabllity of the Sony corporation over a whole year, but did not initiate a thread about the savaging they've taken most recently and relevantly.

Nothing about pictures, cameras or lenses as you claim, just misdirection and spin for the brandname you've most recently bought into for thousands of dollars. People are awake about you, you must realise that.

Last edited by clackers; 06-13-2019 at 05:25 PM.
06-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Here it is, @Winder, the Pentax DFA*50mm is an outstanding lens:

Yes. It is an outstanding lens. Pentax HD FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW Lens 21260 B&H Photo Video

Already $200 off. At under $1,000 it is an outstanding value. Only $100 more than the Sigma and with better build quality.
06-13-2019, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #299
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Borisceto is your friend. In other media they call it deplatforming.
06-13-2019, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #300
Pentaxian

I'm in a quandary... the K-3 replacement isn't out, the K-P has things my K-3 doesn't, features that have me taking the K-1 over the K-3 just because they aren't there. The K-P definitely would see more use if it had Pixel shift, the flippy back screen, etc.
I didn't see a smiley face to indicate you're joking.

I've never used it, but my KP has "pixel shift" in the menu, and it definitely has a traditional flippy back screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh:

Compact Weatherproof DSLR

The ultra-compact PENTAX KP is loaded with features and controls that facilitate capturing outstanding images, even in the most demanding conditions. Its sleek, weather-resistant design houses a powerful new-generation 24.3 MP APS-C AA filter-less CMOS sensor and high-performance imaging engine that offer outstanding image quality and super-high-sensitivity night scene photography capabilities. The PENTAX KP incorporates advanced technologies and ease-of-use features, including the PENTAX-original SRII 5-Axis Shake Reduction System and Pixel Shift Resolution.
Pentax KP - Ricoh
Attached Images

Closed Thread