Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #721
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They completely redesigned that lens though...
...with a smaller max. aperture.

12-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #722
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
True - but if they are going to redesign the lenses anyway, I'm asking that they go more for "limited" lenses rather than for large "perfect" lenses like the DFA* 50.
Pentax need these big boys. Modern with no compromise. There has been * lenses and they are due some update. There will be also those limiteds, no doubt about it
12-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #723
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Slightly changing aperture was a part of the design change - but going from f/4-5.8 to f/4.5-6.3 is not a major change.
12-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adding to your query, Is this 15mm f/3.5 supposed to be rectilinear? and how rectilinear is it really?
I'd say pretty good. This is an early one with the aspherical element. Don't look at the mast far left - it has bend to it, and don't look at the topping lift that appears over/in front of that mast, as that has some lines coming straight down off it (one really pulling hard off what looks like a black blob - they are putting load on that particular one), but check out all the other stays and shrouds, and I'd say doing pretty well with no corrections - just resized ooc jpeg to post.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #725
Pentaxian

True - but if they are going to redesign the lenses anyway, I'm asking that they go more for "limited" lenses rather than for large "perfect" lenses like the DFA* 50.
What did they say in the interview? First, the performance lenses and next, some Limiteds?
12-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #726
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'd say pretty good. This is an early one with the aspherical element. Don't look at the mast far left - it has bend to it, and don't look at the topping lift that appears over/in front of that mast, as that has some lines coming straight down off it (one really pulling hard off what looks like a black blob - they are putting load on that particular one), but check out all the other stays and shrouds, and I'd say doing pretty well with no corrections - just resized ooc jpeg to post.
Thank you - that is exactly the type of information I was hoping to get. I had stayed away from the Pentax-A 15mm because sometimes it is listed as a "fisheye" and I want rectilinear; from your tests, I need to consider it also.
12-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #727
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As an even better example, as I have already noted Pentax added no noticeable size to their 55-300 lens when they went from screw-drive to PLM.
That lens was already 71 mm dia. There's plenty proof you can fit in lens motors with that sort of girth. The Fuji ones are about 1cm slimmer at their widest and they are only wide at the aperture ring.

12-29-2019, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
That lens was already 71 mm dia. There's plenty proof you can fit in lens motors with that sort of girth. The Fuji ones are about 1cm slimmer at their widest and they are only wide at the aperture ring.
If you go way back, even to the 1980s, some of the Canon EF lenses weren’t a lot larger than the Nikon or Pentax screwdriven contemporaries.

And I think the biggest factor in the slowing of the Pentax lens development timeline is the shrinking market. Ricoh seems to be trying to balance development and production against a shrinking market space while Canon, Nikon, Fuji, and Sony have been fighting hard over market share to keep their production levels high. It makes sense considering their relative scales. We’ll see in a few years who’s right...

-Eric
12-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #729
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And I think the biggest factor in the slowing of the Pentax lens development timeline is the shrinking market. Ricoh seems to be trying to balance development and production against a shrinking market space [...]

-Eric

I agree with you on that one. I just can't see Pentax trying hard to push out new gear and this resulting in the current rate of releases. Almost regardless of how few people are working on it.
12-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #730
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you - that is exactly the type of information I was hoping to get. I had stayed away from the Pentax-A 15mm because sometimes it is listed as a "fisheye" and I want rectilinear; from your tests, I need to consider it also.
Most welcome. Nice when a snap shot kicking around in the archives can be helpful.
01-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #731
Veteran Member

Has there been any update on the release of this lens?
01-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #732
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
How does the A15/3.5 work with the K1. While I understand it's a "cult" Zeiss/Pentax collaboration lens, the performance is very different. Even though it's not highly rated optically, it's supposed to have some unique IQ. I'd be interested to know your experiences. Thanks.
It has quite a bit of light fall off at the edges, and mine is a rather soft in the corners.
01-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Has there been any update on the release of this lens?
If you mean the one this thread is about, the HD Pentax-D FA★ 85mm f/1.4, the answer is no: nothing official since the development announcement of the 26th of February last year, the mock-up showcased at CP+ and the few bits of information communicated during the CP+ workshops.

No whispers since then either.
01-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #734
Veteran Member

If you mean the one this thread is about, the HD Pentax-D FA★ 85mm f/1.4, the answer is no: nothing official since the development announcement of the 26th of February last year, the mock-up showcased at CP+ and the few bits of information communicated during the CP+ workshops.

No whispers since then either.
O'well. Maybe next year.
01-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #735
Pentaxian

That may be a result of going to a PLM; that motor can move only so much glass, but it is really worth the re-design, being faster and quieter than its {screw-drive} predecessor.
Closed Thread