Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #931
Pentaxian

What is odd is that no new roadmap was published when the HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm f/4 ED SDM WR was announced. We are still relying on the roadmap from CP+ last year with its 'HD Pentax-D FA 70-200mm f/4 tentative name' scheduled for '2019 or Later'.

02-09-2020, 02:16 AM   #932
Pentaxian

Let’s hope we can close this thread after one year welcoming the dfa 85 in real.
02-09-2020, 02:34 AM   #933
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What is odd is that no new roadmap was published when the HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm f/4 ED SDM WR was announced. We are still relying on the roadmap from CP+ last year with its 'HD Pentax-D FA 70-200mm f/4 tentative name' scheduled for '2019 or Later'.
I see this as:
1) They are lazy
2) They are a total mess at organising this internally between all various teams
3) Won't renew the file cause there are more unannounced updates, good or bad, and they only have one version of the file and it's not the time to publish it
- good part: more lenses to be announced and they are being secretive
- bad part: maybe the roadmap is totally invalid and will be revised (lenses delayed, lenses removed)
02-09-2020, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #934
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I see this as:
1) They are lazy
2) They are a total mess at organising this internally between all various teams
3) Won't renew the file cause there are more unannounced updates, good or bad, and they only have one version of the file and it's not the time to publish it
- bad part: maybe the roadmap is totally invalid and will be revised (lenses delayed, lenses removed)
I don't really see what you say as being true. I think they are just understaffed (not the same as either lazy or total mess) and are focused on the projects that they hope to bring to fruition this year. They don't have anything new to announce that they are working on (there's already plenty on the map), they are unsure of specific dates for anything, and the only update would really be to change the verbiage around the 70-200 f4 to reflect that it is here and that it is actually a 70-210 f4. So, maybe they just don't have an employee who is supposed to update the lens road map.

The lens map is at best an advertising document and at worst a cudgel that is used to beat the lens designers when they don't hit specific targets (which are super unspecific on this map anyway). In my experience it ends up being something that provides too much angst as Pentaxians get upset over the slow release process and/or the order of lens releases. Better just to realize that any releases will come 12 to 18 months after you last expect them and you'll be happier.

02-09-2020, 04:28 AM - 4 Likes   #935
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
4th option, they usually update the file just before or during CP+.
02-09-2020, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #936
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really see what you say as being true. I think they are just understaffed (not the same as either lazy or total mess) and are focused on the projects that they hope to bring to fruition this year. They don't have anything new to announce that they are working on (there's already plenty on the map), they are unsure of specific dates for anything, and the only update would really be to change the verbiage around the 70-200 f4 to reflect that it is here and that it is actually a 70-210 f4. So, maybe they just don't have an employee who is supposed to update the lens road map.

The lens map is at best an advertising document and at worst a cudgel that is used to beat the lens designers when they don't hit specific targets (which are super unspecific on this map anyway). In my experience it ends up being something that provides too much angst as Pentaxians get upset over the slow release process and/or the order of lens releases. Better just to realize that any releases will come 12 to 18 months after you last expect them and you'll be happier.
I didn't say it's true. I just interpret it that way for myself only. I work closely with one of Ricoh's competitors and I am drawing my own conclusions.

They went ahead and prepared a special page for the new lens, but they couldn't bother to be precise and update a file which serves as a portfolio for existing lenses - not only as a mere future roadmap. To me it's more about being professional, accurate and creating value for your customers base.
02-09-2020, 05:21 AM   #937
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
4th option, they usually update the file just before or during CP+.
They usually update the roadmap:
  1. Each and every time a new lens is announced
  2. For CP+.

This time they skipped (1).

02-09-2020, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #938
Pentaxian

Let's hope that we will get something nice on (2) then
02-09-2020, 05:47 AM   #939
Pentaxian

I see this as:
1) They are lazy
It's interesting how the completely unrealistic yet dissing points are #1 and #2, while #3 has a mandatory "bad part".

The simple explanation is that they'll update the roadmap at CP+.
02-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #940
Veteran Member

It is a mess, when a document not being archived shows a completly wrong state.
If the mess is because they work unpeofessionally in this matter or because they are unstaffed does not matter, it stays a mess.
They put a lot of work into the presentation of the 70-210, there is no other excuse to a not updated lens map than bad workflows, which in the end is missing professionalism.
The fact they update every time they use it themselves (at cp) makes it look even worse.
It is sad, because very easy to avoid and they may get a lot of heat because of this very unimportant detail compared to the actual development.
02-09-2020, 06:13 AM   #941
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's interesting how the completely unrealistic yet dissing points are #1 and #2, while #3 has a mandatory "bad part".
Mandatory followed by someone defensively stereotyping you on the boards here.
02-09-2020, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #942
Pentaxian

Mandatory followed by someone defensively stereotyping you on the boards here.
Ah, of course it's all my fault for not staying quiet

Are you guys seriously complaining that Ricoh Imaging wouldn't update a mere roadmap twice in quick succession?
If they did, would people complain that they wasted precious resources on updating roadmaps, instead of getting a full MILC line ready?
02-09-2020, 06:58 AM   #943
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If they did, would people complain that they wasted precious resources on updating roadmaps, instead of getting a full MILC line ready?
Precious resources? Let's not pretend the roadmap update *for the 70-210/4* is more than a ten minute job... Not even DPR would complain about that
02-09-2020, 07:02 AM   #944
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What is so difficult about OoKU's statement? Pentax has announced a new lens; we were previously told that the next body will be released next summer, at best. This may be a "slow" time for Pentax.
Maybe later than summer…
02-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #945
Pentaxian

Just looking at how good is the D-FA 70-210 (even sharper and faster to focus than the DFA*70-200 Pentax), the D-FA*85 could cancelled and replaced by a Tamron SP 85 f1.8 with Pentax HD coatings, I'd be fine with that.
Closed Thread