Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

I am amazed its not fixed.
"it's"

02-26-2019, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
As Ricoh/Pentax has made many announces recently, now we have to complain about typos in their non native language.

Dear Lord.
All Gnus is good Gnus. So must it be so in the ensuing discussion.
02-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #33
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I understand the root of the problem, which is why I suggested someone fluent in English to review the final, 'corrected'
copy. The quirks of the automated translation may be out of their control, but surely their is a way to catch the quirks
before publication that is in their control.
Ricoh New Jersey should be responsible. Of course that is not many paople and they might not be staffed for this.
02-26-2019, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
After a lifetime of dealing with badly translated manuals for consumer electronics and IT products, I now have an affection for these kinds of errors.

In the days when you could buy pirated CDs that were sourced from Malaysia, they often came with inside covers that attempted to transcribe the song lyrics. Fantastic.
I recall my '65 Yamaha 250 sports twin motorcycle owners manual I had, back in the 1960's . There were a few errors in the text...'sparking plugs' rather than spark plugs...'hooting' my horn, etc. Back then I regarded it as all part of the charm, endearing actually....of what was an excellent sports motorcycle.

At the same time I had a few Czechoslovakian made motorcycles...Jawa and CZ's and surprisingly their owner's manuals from what I recall, were correct in their use of English.

02-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Content and theme of the 100th anniversary

I wonder what folks think about the content and theme of Ricoh's announcement concerning the 100th Anniversary?

Intrigued? Inspired? Hopeful? Interested in commemorative items?

- Craig
02-26-2019, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #36
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I wonder what folks think about the content and theme of Ricoh's announcement concerning the 100th Anniversary?

- Craig
I'm encouraged - after a stream of Ricoh-labeled cameras [GR, WG, Theta}, it's good to see something Pentax.
02-26-2019, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
True...but...as someone that does a TON of this sort of thing, text typos are the easiest and quickest to fix. There are a ton of steps that should catch things like this, and it shows that there are few people actually doing the work at Ricoh.

Maybe you should volunteer to help them out by proof reading their new announcements before they come out..........they might show their appreciation with a shiny new Theta Z1.
02-26-2019, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Again, this has happened before. JPT (Tokyo resident) pointed out this is a problem with translation of the kanji and kana characters that make up the Japanese idiogram for Pentax. It is sort of out of their control.
The problem isn't finding a proofreader. The problem is that software is cheaper than a live human being.

02-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

- Craig
No interest in spending money on "commemorative" items. If that is all they do it will be very discouraging. Trying to stay positive, but...............
02-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
No interest in spending money on "commemorative" items. If that is all they do it will be very discouraging. Trying to stay positive, but...............
I’d be OK if the first batch of 70-200s had “Pentax 100” placards on them

-Eric
02-26-2019, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #41
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Since many live web news sites can't write sentences in proper English, either Standard American or British English. Proof reading and editing is an art being lost even by "journalists."
02-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Since many live web news sites can't write sentences in proper English, either Standard American or British English. Proof reading and editing is an art being lost even by "journalists."
Journos are getting gutted … there are less subeditors than ever before, so they're doing a lot of their own proofreading, photographers have been laid off so the journalists do without or bring a point-and-shoot or phone …
02-26-2019, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #43
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Journos are getting gutted … there are less subeditors than ever before, so they're doing a lot of their own proofreading, photographers have been laid off so the journalists do without or bring a point-and-shoot or phone …
It is impossible to properly proof read your own writing without a long break between writing and proofing your work since your brain knows what you meant to write and will fill in the blanks where the mistakes are.
02-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ガラスの家に住んでいる人は石を投げてはいけません!

Brand | RICOH IMAGING

02-26-2019, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

- Craig
I'd buy a "Commemorative 100 Year HD Pentax-D FA* 250-600mm F5.6 IF DC AW "

In all seriousness though.... It would be very hard to believe, that given this 100 Year Anniversary that a Special edition Camera was not in the pipeline, and going to be released. How could a Camera Company have such a milestone and not release a Camera.