02-27-2019, 04:57 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember, the short-lived Ernie Kovaks show was sponsored in part by DORF

02-28-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

A bit off-topic but anyway...

2019 is the 100th anniversary of the foundation of Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co. It's also the centenary of Olympus: the latter was founded on 12 October 1919 as Takachiho seisakusho (高千穂製作所 = Takachiho plant). The Olympus brand was introduced in February 1921. The name of the company itself was changed to Olympus Optical Co., Ltd (オリンパス光学工業株式会社 = Olinpasu kōgaku kōgyō kabushiki-gaisha) on 1st January 1949.

At their CP+ booth, Olympus are exhibiting re-editions of the OM cameras of the film era with the outer body of an Olympus OM-1, OM-2 or OM-3 and, inside, the innards of a (digital) Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III. They say they want to test their clients' appetite for fully manual digital cameras but, so far, they don't plan to bring these re-editions to market.

Black-painted brass with hand-worn edges showing the bare metal is used for the body: upper and lower covers and some of the dials. The leatherette is that of Olympus OMs. The removable grip is that of the OM-3.

The mount is a functional Olympus OM mount. The shutter dial is functional: it sets the electronic diaphragm. There is also a (functional) dial to adjust the ISO sensitivity.

The information and the photos above come from a report published by Digital Camera Watch : 【イベントレポート】【CP+2019】OM-D E-M1Xの機動力で訴求するオリンパスブース - デジカメ Watch

What do you think of this initiative? Would you like Ricoh Imaging to exhibit and potentially sell as part of their 'selection of commemorative goods' the equivalent from Pentaxland ? For instance a digital MX or a digital LX with the outer shell, dials and commands of the original model and the innards of a K-1 II?
02-28-2019, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Honestly, I’d rather have a digital Super Program than a digital K1000.

Throw in a focus confirmation light, and I’m good...

-Eric
02-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
I have a working analogue Super Program; I never wanted an any kind of K1000.

The engineering talent required to make a digital 'throw-back' would be better spent on moving forward - like a K-3ii replacement and the next FF digital camera.

02-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a working analogue Super Program; I never wanted an any kind of K1000.

The engineering talent required to make a digital 'throw-back' would be better spent on moving forward - like a K-3ii replacement and the next FF digital camera.
Agreed. As much fun as an analog analogue would be, I’d rather have something modern as a priority.

But I do want one of those AOCo stickers for my K1...

-Eric
02-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They will: its current name is KP Custom.
Shirley you jest!! That's a good one.
02-28-2019, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit off-topic but anyway...

2019 is the 100th anniversary of the foundation of Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co. It's also the centenary of Olympus: the latter was founded on 12 October 1919 as Takachiho seisakusho (高千穂製作所 = Takachiho plant). The Olympus brand was introduced in February 1921. The name of the company itself was changed to Olympus Optical Co., Ltd (オリンパス光学工業株式会社 = Olinpasu kōgaku kōgyō kabushiki-gaisha) on 1st January 1949.

At their CP+ booth, Olympus are exhibiting re-editions of the OM cameras of the film era with the outer body of an Olympus OM-1, OM-2 or OM-3 and, inside, the innards of a (digital) Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III. They say they want to test their clients' appetite for fully manual digital cameras but, so far, they don't plan to bring these re-editions to market.

Black-painted brass with hand-worn edges showing the bare metal is used for the body: upper and lower covers and some of the dials. The leatherette is that of Olympus OMs. The removable grip is that of the OM-3.

The mount is a functional Olympus OM mount. The shutter dial is functional: it sets the electronic diaphragm. There is also a (functional) dial to adjust the ISO sensitivity.

The information and the photos above come from a report published by Digital Camera Watch : 【イベントレポート】【CP+2019】OM-D E-M1Xの機動力で訴求するオリンパスブース - デジカメ Watch

What do you think of this initiative? Would you like Ricoh Imaging to exhibit and potentially sell as part of their 'selection of commemorative goods' the equivalent from Pentaxland ? For instance a digital MX or a digital LX with the outer shell, dials and commands of the original model and the innards of a K-1 II?
A total waste of scarce resources in my opinion. If Ricoh/Pentax were #1 or 2 in the digital camera market maybe it would work. If they had plenty of money to throw at a project like this and spare capacity they needed to utilize it would be something for the old film guys to throw some cash at and display in a nice looking camera cabinet.

02-28-2019, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
A total waste of scarce resources in my opinion. If Ricoh/Pentax were #1 or 2 in the digital camera market maybe it would work. If they had plenty of money to throw at a project like this and spare capacity they needed to utilize it would be something for the old film guys to throw some cash at and display in a nice looking camera cabinet.
Given the last-reported financials from Olympus, they shouldn’t have had the spare capacity to do this, either.
03-06-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
Aps-c K1000 all the wei!
03-06-2019, 06:20 PM - 7 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

If other threads in the "New and Rumors" section are any indication of the future of this thread, it might well be renamed:

Announcement of PENTAX FORUMS 100 PAGES OF HYSTERICS

cue the:
  • excited hopes for mirrorless 8K cameras,
    wishes for a K-3 replacement
    optimism about upcoming products
    the usual gloom and doom by the usual Eeyores
    pleas for lenses of every focal length
    wild extrapolations of some Ricoh patent filing
    rehashing of the aperture block issue
    bitter fighting over EVF vs. OVF
    threats to leave the brand if X doesn't happen soon
    repeated sensible calls to just enjoy the 100 years of Pentax products by using them

I'm making popcorn now.... who wants some?
03-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would certainly What do you think of this initiative? Would you like Ricoh Imaging to exhibit and potentially sell as part of their 'selection of commemorative goods' the equivalent from Pentaxland ? For instance a digital MX or a digital LX with the outer shell, dials and commands of the original model and the innards of a K-1 II?
I would certainly try to buy it but I suspect it would be prohibitively expensive. And they can give me fresh paint. I’ll rub it off myself, thank you very much.
03-06-2019, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
repeated sensible calls to just enjoy the 100 years of Pentax products by using them
I'll go with this one...

Me? I'll celebrate the 100th anniversary by happily shooting with my 60-year-old Auto Takumar lens.

Oh, and I'd gladly take a few Asahi Optical Company stickers.

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-06-2019 at 06:54 PM.
03-06-2019, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If other threads in the "New and Rumors" section are any indication of the future of this thread, it might well be renamed:

cue the:
    threats to leave the brand if X doesn't happen soon

Soon, in movie theatres near you!
03-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Soon, in movie theatres near you!
Netflix is handy.
03-06-2019, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

cue the:
    threats 1 and
    leave the brand if X doesn't happen soon
    repeated calls to just enjoy the 100 years of Pentax products by using them
Watch user experience with Theta Z1 and GRlll for some clues.