Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2019, 04:10 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax brand portal

Just as we are talking about Pentax brand lease expiring and all the doom that will follow, Ricoh Imaging announces the opening of a "Brand Portal" section on their website:
Brand | RICOH IMAGING

Guess which brand is first.

And a message from Ricoh:
"We would like to experss our sincere thanks to our customers for their years of patronage and support for PENTAX-brand products. Our conviction is to continue to manufacture products that provide the fun of photography and the joy of using cameras."
Yup, that dyslexic translator is still working for them

Wait. They say more:
"From 2019 to 2020, we will organize a series of celebrative events, while launching a selection fo commerative goods."
(Mistral will point out they'll stop celebrating in 2020, coincidence? I don't think so )

02-26-2019, 04:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Just as we are talking about Pentax brand lease expiring and all the doom that will follow, Ricoh Imaging announces the opening of a "Brand Portal" section on their website:
Brand | RICOH IMAGING

Guess which brand is first.

And a message from Ricoh:
"We would like to experss our sincere thanks to our customers for their years of patronage and support for PENTAX-brand products. Our conviction is to continue to manufacture products that provide the fun of photography and the joy of using cameras."
Yup, that dyslexic translator is still working for them
Alex, as usual you are right!
As you also have been all along about the KP not being the major Pentax APS body, which is proven now that the true K3 successor has been announced. Or wait! Is it a customized new generation KP
And that 85mm now on the shelves (not what you ever said though), or wait! its launch still undecided
Discussion is always good, and the current state at Pentax gives reason for much discussion. Not all discussion should be thrashed as dooms saying...

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-26-2019 at 07:01 AM.
02-26-2019, 04:21 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

(...)
(Mistral will point out they'll stop celebrating in 2020, coincidence? I don't think so )
Yep, in 2020 they'll shift towards using Asahi Pentax for the cameras and Takumar for the lenses.

(by the way, the Takumar brand was transferred to Ricoh Imaging in 2011 and is still trademarked in many countries)
02-26-2019, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I would encourage fellow Pentaxians to click on Brand | RICOH IMAGING, browse the sections dedicated to the various brands and compare their content, it's enlightening.

PENTAX | Brand | RICOH IMAGING

GR official | Brand | RICOH IMAGING

WG Series | Brand | RICOH IMAGING

G Series | Brand | RICOH IMAGING

theta360.com | Brand | RICOH IMAGING

02-26-2019, 06:40 AM - 6 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
As you also have been all along about the KP not being the major Pentax APS body, which is proven now that the true K3 successor has been announced. Or wait! Is it a customized new generation KPAnd that 85mm now on the shelves (not what you ever said though), or wait! is launch still undecided
I'm with you on that. I already have more Pentax gear than I need, but my photography hobby slowed down considerably because of Ricoh not feeding my GAS, my GAS is dying of starvation. We need to find a brand of cameras that releases more products and more often, to allow us the joy of unboxing and the first three weeks of playing with the new toy. We need more new gear.
02-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm with you on that. I already have more Pentax gear than I need, but my photography hobby slowed down considerably because of Ricoh not feeding my GAS, my GAS is dying of starvation. We need to find a brand of cameras that releases more products and more often, to allow us the joy of unboxing and the first three weeks of playing with the new toy. We need more new gear.
I agree! But, snap, DA*11-18, GRIII and ThetaZ1 are all produced along my needs. What the hell were they thinking?
02-26-2019, 06:58 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We need to find a brand of cameras that releases more products and more often
I agree 100%. Like you, my LBA and GAS have been seriously tempered by the apparent lack of new products. I don't know what to do. My current kit is terrible, absolutely terrible -- the K-3 II, DA Limiteds, DA* 50-135 and 300, and my vintage Takumars, K's and M's are so old and obsolete.

the joy of unboxing and the first three weeks of playing with the new toy.
Indeed. I think I'll jump ship to another brand so that I can start making 24-minute unboxing videos in 4K, while posting questions whether I should upgrade immediately to the next new release because the camera I just bought doesn't have that shiny new feature that this week's firmware release can't implement.

Oh, wait... maybe -- just maybe -- I could go out and take some pictures with my current (terrible) kit.

02-26-2019, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
What the hell were they thinking?
All companies make mistakes now and then. I would jump ship if I were you.
02-26-2019, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As you also have been all along about the KP not being the major Pentax APS body, which is proven now that the true K3 successor has been announced. Or wait! Is it a customized new generation KP
And that 85mm now on the shelves (not what you ever said though), or wait! its launch still undecided
Discussion is always good, and the current state at Pentax gives reason for much discussion. Not all discussion should be thrashed as dooms saying...
Chris, are you sure you want to hijack this thread in order to pursue your little personal vendetta/obsession?

I see you're trying to decide which discussion is good (and which isn't). Stop that.
02-26-2019, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kunzite Quote
chris, are you sure you want to hijack this thread in order to pursue your little personal vendetta/obsession?

I see you're trying to decide which discussion is good (and which isn't). Stop that.
Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 9.13.53 AM.png
Views: 1252
Size:  3.9 KB
02-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Pentax says that the tentative name for this camera is "KP Custom".
I believe. but do not know, that it is a cosmetic variation of the KP I have been using for the past three months.
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
All companies make mistakes now and then. I would jump ship if I were you.
The latest news feels rushed - like someone didn't have time to check their work.
At least, the company is giving us a view of what they are thinking.
That is good.
02-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

'Custom' (カスタム = Kasutamu) was how the creator of this KP (a guy involved in the design of K-30 and some WG camera(s)) qualified the camera when it was showcased on Facebook last year and again two weeks ago.
02-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax says that the tentative name for this camera is "KP Custom".
I believe. but do not know, that it is a cosmetic variation of the KP I have been using for the past three months.
I believe so too, it being on exhibit together with the DFA85 at CP+. Market launch for both is still undecided, but it should be this (celebration) year for the customized KP at least.
Even though it is only a KP customization, it should indicate that Ricoh still sees this body as very current and worth a make-over. What that means for a possible new APS-c body is for one to decide.
But given that Ricoh had the GRIII on exhibit at Photokina, which is now launched, it should mean that these are the products they plan to release next. I think I'll go for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The latest news feels rushed - like someone didn't have time to check their work.
At least, the company is giving us a view of what they are thinking.
That is good.

---------- Post added 02-26-19 at 03:56 PM ----------

Chris, are you sure you want to hijack this thread in order to pursue your little personal vendetta/obsession?

Let's call a truce Alex. I refrain from hijacking your threads (although I can assure you I am as far from a vendetta with you as I am from shaving my head bald ).
You in turn refrain from calling FUD, at least when I imply things that you perceive as harmful to Pentax (but that turn out right sometimes).

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-26-2019 at 07:57 AM.
02-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #14

From the GR Brand page. GR Concept movie (English with English subtitles)

"Five development principles for the GR
  1. We do not compete in the numbers game using catalog specs.
  2. We do not install a function only because it is a fad.
  3. We do not design only to draw attention.
  4. We do not change models easily.
  5. Always challenge and propose something new."

"So if you own a GR we encourage you to use it until it is full of scratches."
02-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
"So if you own a GR we encourage you to use it until it is full of scratches."
So, apparently Ricoh's business plan doesn't require that they constantly dangle new technology in front of us, nor that we constantly purchase new gear from them. Good for them! I happily used my Super Program for a dozen years, and at age 71, I would be perfectly happy if the KP I purchased three months ago turns out to be the last camera I purchase.