Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samsung interview on DPR

Sounds like the next Samsung dslr will have HD video is how I read this:
Photokina Interview Series: Samsung: Digital Photography Review

Why isn't anyone asking about Samsung what they will be doing w/ their FF sensor that they announced? Just seems puzzling that Askey didn't ask...LOL Or better yet, whether there will be a MF version?

10-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

Why isn't anyone asking about Samsung what they will be doing w/ their FF sensor that they announced? Just seems puzzling that Askey didn't ask...LOL Or better yet, whether there will be a MF version?
He probably did and al of that fell under........
Although much of the conversation covered areas we can't talk about yet, Mr Hwang had some interesting things to say 'on the record' regarding the future of compact cameras, technology and stills/video convergence

10-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #3

Samsung didn't make their P&S sensors?

I had no idea they didn't make their P&S sensors. So the 14mp cameras they announce earlier than everyone else also has the crappy Sony sensor? Their investment in photography equipment is alot smaller than I thought.

And he basically admitted they will continue to repackage Pentax SLR as their own.

Come on now, that "micro-APS" hybrid they announced earlier has to use Pentax made lenses, who else will make glass for them? It's just a matter of figuring the money. I am not convinced Pentax will make their own version though, since they probably can't make an adopter ring that's physically backward competitble with the old K mount lenses.
10-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Interesting read, but nothing disclosed.

Was there a Samsung FF sensor announcement? I heard a rumour a while back, but no annoucements. Any linkage?

K.

10-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So although the Samsung GX and Pentax K20D are the same system, some reviews have found the Samsung to be better
Funny....
Nothing interesting...
10-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I had no idea they didn't make their P&S sensors. So the 14mp cameras they announce earlier than everyone else also has the crappy Sony sensor? Their investment in photography equipment is alot smaller than I thought.

And he basically admitted they will continue to repackage Pentax SLR as their own.
There are more sensor makers for compact digicams than Sony. It is not mentioned in the interview from whom Samsung is buying digicam sensors. Pentax are buying most digicam sensors from Sharp.

He did not admittet that they will continue to repackage Pentax SLR as their own.
He did say that the internal parts will be same, but the exterior design may differ.
After all, they do have a technology partnership - so if Samsung went on with their own technology, why have a partner? Of course they will share similar parts and technology - same AF, same metering, same sensors, same SR system, same lens mount etc. But again, those can be combined in different ways and the external design can be much more unique Samsung than today's re-labeling of Pentax SLR's.

The Olympus E-330 and the Leica Digilux 3 is basically the same, but they look very very different.

Pentax and Samsung can make the same thing.
10-02-2008, 04:50 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I still wonder how much Samsung had put effort in their Pentax & Samsung DSLRs except the sensor? Did Samsung develop the Prime? It gets the whole package of cameras and lenses at the same time as Pentax and just need to put their name on it. I still can't see the benefit that Pentax receives from this partnership.
10-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
I still wonder how much Samsung had put effort in their Pentax & Samsung DSLRs except the sensor? Did Samsung develop the Prime? It gets the whole package of cameras and lenses at the same time as Pentax and just need to put their name on it. I still can't see the benefit that Pentax receives from this partnership.
One could argue that the sensor is one of the most important parts of today's DSLR. As long as Pentax can source great sensors for cheap from Samsung, I feel they're getting a good deal out of it already.

It's not at all easy to fabricate decent imaging sensors for DSLRs, which is why only a select few companies do so. My count is at 7 so far (Canon, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Kodak, Foveon, Fuji), though I may have inadvertently overlooked some other makers, but the point is, not everyone can do this.

Of course, smaller sensors for digital P&Ses and cellphones are a different ballgame altogether.

10-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Was there a Samsung FF sensor announcement? I heard a rumour a while back, but no annoucements. Any linkage?
Sorry, you're quite right. I remembered it wrong

Samsung hints at full-frame sensor for professional digital SLR camera news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

In design on 4/08...probably takes about a year or two to go from design to release (guessing based on chip design/debug times of roughly a year and 6 months to get it designed/debugged into a camera). That assumes no major problems that require respins and that it's roughly a giant array w/o any real complicated logic.
10-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In design on 4/08...probably takes about a year or two to go from design to release (guessing based on chip design/debug times of roughly a year and 6 months to get it designed/debugged into a camera). That assumes no major problems that require respins and that it's roughly a giant array w/o any real complicated logic.
Also assuming that they won't get cold feet from seeing the poor sales of D700/D3, and my predicted poor sales of A900...
10-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Also assuming that they won't get cold feet from seeing the poor sales of D700/D3, and my predicted poor sales of A900...
Where do you get your numbers from? The D3 sells better than any Pentax model. The D700 sell faster than they can make them.
I also suspect that the A900 will be a slow seller. That is because it is a Sony.....
10-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Where do you get your numbers from? The D3 sells better than any Pentax model. The D700 sell faster than they can make them.
I also suspect that the A900 will be a slow seller. That is because it is a Sony.....
I should have qualified my statement as sales figures from Japan.
As of last week (Sept 24 to Sept 30), D3 weekly sales is 0.1% of DSLR market share in Japan; whereas D700 weekly sales has dropped to 0.6% market share in Japan.

D700's daily sales peaked as high as an extremely impressive 11.6% market share the few days after launch (July 24 to July 27). This makes it even more shocking on its steep decline to sub 1% sales level in just 8 weeks after release.

By comparison, the outgoing D80 is still enjoying an amazing 14.2% weekly sales market share (probably Japanese buyers are snapping them up at clearance price before they are gone), D60 is at 13.2%, whereas the D300 is at 1.5%. Pentax is not doing too well with K200D at 2.8% and K20D 0.7% (granted that the Sony A700 is doing worse at 0.2%). They will be counting on K-m to make a turn around.
10-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #13

I should have qualified my statement as sales figures from Japan.
As of last week (Sept 24 to Sept 30), D3 weekly sales is 0.1% of DSLR market share in Japan; whereas D700 weekly sales has dropped to 0.6% market share in Japan.

D700's daily sales peaked as high as an extremely impressive 11.6% market share the few days after launch (July 24 to July 27). This makes it even more shocking on its steep decline to sub 1% sales level in just 8 weeks after release.

By comparison, the outgoing D80 is still enjoying an amazing 14.2% weekly sales market share (probably Japanese buyers are snapping them up at clearance price before they are gone), D60 is at 13.2%, whereas the D300 is at 1.5%. Pentax is not doing too well with K200D at 2.8% and K20D 0.7% (granted that the Sony A700 is doing worse at 0.2%). They will be counting on K-m to make a turn around.
So a K200d for every 4 D60...not really bad figures, being Pentax a smaller company producing smaller quantities too: it's like saying selling a Subaru every 4 Wolkswagen...and a K20D every two D300 is even better!
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll bet a good chunk of those were D3/D300 owners who wanted to upgrade or downgrade (my D3 is tooooo big...LOL.....I realllly wanted FF instead of my D300... :-)

I can't blame the D300 owners but the D3 owners are funny...
10-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

D700's daily sales peaked as high as an extremely impressive 11.6% market share the few days after launch (July 24 to July 27). This makes it even more shocking on its steep decline to sub 1% sales level in just 8 weeks after release..

This happens with all cameras. The D700 is first released in Japan. Then Nikon is feeding the international market with a subsequent drop in delivery and sales at home. Wait and see the long terms sales numbers.