Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 02:00 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The DA Standard Zoom Lens is (1) labelled DA, not DA★ and (2) represented by a red line, not an orange one. It's therefore supposed to be a DA, not a DA★, even though such things can change between now and the actual announcement.
Replacing the DA* 16-50mm makes a lot of sense given the bad reputation it's got. Not labelling the new lens as a DA* makes a lot of sense to clear existing stock before the new one comes out.

I don't think Pentax needs another variable-aperture lens in that range, though it could conceivably be a replacement for the 17-70mm f/4.

03-03-2019, 03:25 AM   #62
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
How good are the Canon and Nikon TCs (relative to cropping)? This is an actual question, not rhetorical.
I think the loss in image quality is comparable. As long as you start with enough megapixels you end up with a nice and usable image.
03-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Growden Quote
So no Teleconverter for Full Frame in list
Big downer for me too. I'll leave it at that.
03-03-2019, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

Finally, one question from the audience was whether the FA Limited lenses would get updated coatings like the FA 35/2. They said that they had certainly considered this, but they are very concerned about maintaining the character of those lenses. I guess this means they tried it with HD coating and didn’t like the results.
That, to me, is the most important information in your gracious post. It tells me they understand the FA Limiteds as constituted remain the signature Pentax lenses by reputation. Messing with them is highly risky. IMO they shouldn't be touched - keep selling them as they are until people stop buying them, then gracefully retire them.

There would of course be nothing iconoclastic about designing new D FA Limited lenses with modern features (WR, DC motors, etc.) and some sort of pixie dust, manufactured to the FA Limited standard (and charging a premium price for them).

03-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #65
Pentaxian

They do have a DA Limited zoom - so I hope for a new series. As for the premium price, likely would be just below the D FA*s (with a somewhat slower aperture, of course)
03-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That, to me, is the most important information in your gracious post. It tells me they understand the FA Limiteds as constituted remain the signature Pentax lenses by reputation. Messing with them is highly risky. IMO they shouldn't be touched - keep selling them as they are until people stop buying them, then gracefully retire them.

There would of course be nothing iconoclastic about designing new D FA Limited lenses with modern features (WR, DC motors, etc.) and some sort of pixie dust, manufactured to the FA Limited standard (and charging a premium price for them).

Funny, they redid the DA limiteds with the the HD coatings and most here seem thrilled. I do wonder what it was about the new coating on the FAs that was unpalatable to them?
03-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Funny, they redid the DA limiteds with the the HD coatings and most here seem thrilled. I do wonder what it was about the new coating on the FAs that was unpalatable to them?
HD does change the rendering. It is cooler and has less flare. I changed all my DA Limiteds for HD Limiteds in the used marketplace (I'm not that insane to buy all new, just obsessive) and I like the images better. Is it 9 rounded blades, the coating or both? I don't know. But I do think, while the DA Limiteds are fine lenses (35/2.8 Macro and 70/4 especially), they aren't icons. Maybe they just don't want to mess with icons. Or maybe they need to do new batches and as long as they're going to add HD they'd just as well add the motors and sealing and blades and price them up. But then you are back to the 'messing with icons' conflict.

03-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally, one question from the audience was whether the FA Limited lenses would get updated coatings like the FA 35/2. They said that they had certainly considered this, but they are very concerned about maintaining the character of those lenses.
Maybe they just don't want to mess with icons.
@JPT, thank you very much for your reports and observations.

Concerning the FA Limiteds, I am not surprised by Ricoh's conclusion. If they have ever reviewed Pentax Forums for comments on the 31, 43, and 77 Limiteds, and have seen the many images presented in numerous threads here, they would certainly have found overwhelmingly positive appraisals of these iconic lenses. The DA 15mm Limited might control minds, but the three FAs are the ones that generate the consistently glowing comments, especially the 77.

- Craig
03-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Concerning the FA Limiteds, I am not surprised by Ricoh's conclusion. If they have ever reviewed Pentax Forums for comments on the 31, 43, and 77 Limiteds, and see the many images presented in numerous threads here, they would certainly have found overwhelmingly positive appraisals of these iconic lenses. The DA 15mm Limited might control minds, but the three FAs are the ones that generate the consistently glowing comments, especially the 77.

- Craig
I think one issue with the three FA lenses is that they are for sale for so long now that many copy's are in the world. So how many are those selling today and the coming two years. You can always find one second hand.
03-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #70
Pentaxian

if HD coating would improve 31,43,77 then yes. I might get 31 as new. not necessarily 43 or 77. but these lenses has their charasteristic look and one part of that is colour. I’d say thatit is recogniceable. Other thing is if you PP h*ll out of them...
03-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #71
Pentaxian

I would definitely go for renewed 31/43/77 if done in HD coatings. I had DA40/2.8 both HD and SMC and HD rendering paired with super protect coating on front element is clear winner for me.
03-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #72
Veteran Member

HD does change the rendering. It is cooler and has less flare. I changed all my DA Limiteds for HD Limiteds in the used marketplace (I'm not that insane to buy all new, just obsessive) and I like the images better. Is it 9 rounded blades, the coating or both? I don't know. But I do think, while the DA Limiteds are fine lenses (35/2.8 Macro and 70/4 especially), they aren't icons. Maybe they just don't want to mess with icons. Or maybe they need to do new batches and as long as they're going to add HD they'd just as well add the motors and sealing and blades and price them up. But then you are back to the 'messing with icons' conflict.
Thanks. Given your history with both SMC and HD I appreciate your summary and perspective. I think you may be right on the icon issue, aren't most FA Ltds sold to non-Pentaxians?
03-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Another thing is that Tanaka mentioned Ricoh has developed a hardened version of its Aerobright nano coating that can be applied to many more surfaces of lenses. The current coating is fragile and limited to certain internal surfaces apparently. I don’t think he was supposed to mention this actually, based on the glances.

Aerobright 2 was put on the dfa* 70-200 and is essentially just HD over SMC. However it seems the marketing folks are enamored with HD terminology and so they are wanting to call both HD and HD/SMC the same thing. They were probably annoyed because he went off pitch. The Dfa* 50 was marketed as HD even the though the coating was described as HD nanocoat over traditional multicoat, ie aerobright 2.
03-03-2019, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Aerobright 2 was put on the dfa* 70-200 and is essentially just HD over SMC. (...)
I'm not so sure. The following is from Ricoh Imaging:

Aero Bright Coating II / Aero Bright Coating

Aero Bright Coating is a new layer formation process based on nanotechnology. It applies a silica aerogel coating layer with a uniform porous structure over a regular multi-layer coating. By trapping low-refraction air between stable silica nanoparticles, it forms a super-low refraction, high-transparency coating. It also drastically reduces surface reflections, while minimizing flare and ghost images. With Aero Bright Coating II, by increasing the amount of air trapped in the silica aerogel layer, this process successfully form a super-low reflection coating superior to that of the original Aero Bright Coating.

HD Coating

The manufacturing process for traditional vacuum deposition coating posed problems. Uneven membrane thickness and variations in the refractive index tend to occur due to difficulties in enhancing membrane density. To solve this, HD coating is created via a specialized method to achieve a high-density membrane with nanometer precision. This method reduces reflectance across the entire visible spectrum. It also produces a very hard and durable coating.

Source: PENTAX LENS TECHNOLOGY | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
03-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #75
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Big downer for me too. I'll leave it at that.
With regard to full frame teleconverters, I don’t remember ever seeing one on the roadmap. This discussion was with the roadmap on the projector and discussing the items one by one. Of course, it is possible items to come out that are never on the roadmap, like the recent decorating of the FA35/2.

Did you hear anything about teleconverters from anyone at Ricoh?