Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 235 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2019, 03:06 PM - 3 Likes   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Totally agree.totally agree. It's hard to understand the repeated dissatisfaction with the KP of people who do not use it.
Mispricing literally killed KP wow effect. Features wise it was not perceived at top of the range APSC but price unfortunately was...
With an introduction at 1000 USD KP would have been a huge commercial success.

03-04-2019, 03:14 PM - 2 Likes   #197
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Mispricing literally killed KP wow effect. Features wise it was not perceived at top of the range APSC but price unfortunately was...
With an introduction at 1000 USD KP would have been a huge commercial success.
I have to agree with this.

Here in the UK, my sense is that the KP has sold rather well when significant discounts are offered. Most folks realise it's one heck of a camera, and if they can pick it up at the right price, it's more than a solid choice. But the right price is significantly lower than the launch price, or the still-current non-discount price, IMHO.

I will say, many of the KP's capabilities are right up there at "top of the range" level. It's simply missing a few that justify the launch pricing.
03-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The Canon 7Dii is still in stock at B&H, while the Pentax K-3ii has been off most shelves for close to a year now,
I'm afraid to disagree. There is still a lot of stock of K3 II: In Europe I can buy it anywhere. If you need them in the US, I'm sure there is a way to send you a few hundred (if not thousands) of K3II brand new.

---------- Post added 04-03-19 at 23:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The D850 is 7 fps and the Z-7 is 9 fps; each is essentially a "D500" in crop mode.
Frame rate drops in AF tracking, so they aren't better FPS than a K3II.
03-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm afraid to disagree. There is still a lot of stock of K3 II: In Europe I can buy it anywhere. If you need them in the US, I'm sure there is a way to send you a few hundred (if not thousands) of K3II brand new.
Sold out everywhere in my Country (western Europe)

03-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #200
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm afraid to disagree. There is still a lot of stock of K3 II: In Europe I can buy it anywhere.
Not here in the UK
03-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not here in the UK
; Hi Mike, nothing to do with the camera, just meant to ask if you enjoyed the film, The Hateful Eight, regards Ian
03-04-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #202
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
; Hi Mike, nothing to do with the camera, just meant to ask if you enjoyed the film, The Hateful Eight, regards Ian
Ha ha Still haven't watched it, Ian, but thanks for the reminder. I'll rent it from Amazon Prime in the next day or two!

03-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #203
Veteran Member

Frame rate drops in AF tracking, so they aren't better FPS than a K3II.

almost no K3 II in Switzerland either, rare units are at nonsense price anyway
03-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #204
Pentaxian

You just make things up. I recently looked for one in Tokyo. I asked for one, and the one I could have was second hand. There are zero new K3II on the shelves there or in Pentax' showroom. I bought from the biggest second hand retailer - they had an inventory of 1. If they have stock of that camera sitting on shelves somewhere, they sure don't do much to move it. Plenty of K-1 and KP's - even Pentax Q.

The other lesson is the K3II most likely didn't sell well in Japan or there would be more second hand bodies on the market.
03-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #205
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
The other lesson is the K3II most likely didn't sell well in Japan or there would be more second hand bodies on the market.
Does a person put one on the second-hand market if s/he doesn't have anything to purchase to replace it? Some might purchase a K-1ii, but many others may be hanging onto their K-3ii awaiting for the "K-3ii replacement".
03-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not necessrily. Most K-3 II buyers were Pentax fans in general and the K-5, K-3 series in particular, who bought a K-3 II to upgrade a K-5 or to get pixel-shift. When the K-3 II was released, the K-1 had already been announced, so there should be no K-3 II buyers that decided to trade it in for a K-1 later. Most of the K-3 II buyers have no reason to replace their camera, it's only been three years.

It is likely that very few K-3 II's were being sold when production was ended and you might still be right that the K-3 II didn't sell as well as expected, but a lack of second-hand bodies isn't an indicator. The KP was originally promoted as a special edition for fans of Pentax film cameras, like the Super Program; the first we heard that it would be the flagship APS-C was after Ricoh changed its CEO and every division was put on lockdown.
03-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #207
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Sold out everywhere in my Country (western Europe)
Possibly. However, the Fedex, UPS and DHL are so fast nowadays that you can buy anything anywhere in EU and get it in 3 days, and if you pay 15 euros more you have have it delivered to your door the next day. So it shouldn't be a problem to get a new K3II.

---------- Post added 05-03-19 at 07:49 ----------

You just make things up.
No I don't. In Austria there is a stock of K3II for sale. And also on online sales available, just type "Pentax K3II" in google search engine and click "Shopping" tab (I can't post the links here, it is against forum rules, I think).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-04-2019 at 11:53 PM.
03-05-2019, 12:37 AM   #208
Pentaxian

No I don't. In Austria there is a stock of K3II for sale. And also on online sales available, just type "Pentax K3II" in google search engine and click "Shopping" tab (I can't post the links here, it is against forum rules, I think).
I guess they dumped the remaining stock in Austria then :-)

I am sitting in Thailand now and just searched for it on Google Shopping. My results are KPs, K-1s and K-70s. No K3II

But true. I can find it in Danish shops too. Along with K5II and other, older cameras.
03-05-2019, 12:57 AM   #209
Pentaxian

[/COLOR]
You just make things up. I recently looked for one in Tokyo. I asked for one, and the one I could have was second hand. There are zero new K3II on the shelves there or in Pentax' showroom. I bought from the biggest second hand retailer - they had an inventory of 1. If they have stock of that camera sitting on shelves somewhere, they sure don't do much to move it. Plenty of K-1 and KP's - even Pentax Q.

I also had the impression that there is still solid availability of it in Germany/Austria.
You can have a look here Pentax K-3 II schwarz Gehäuse ab € 899,99 (2019) | Preisvergleich Geizhals Deutschland

both solid sellers selling new stock. But true, it is down to two sellers, I thought there were more.

However, If I would need one brand new now, I could have one.
03-05-2019, 03:51 AM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I also had the impression that there is still solid availability of it in Germany/Austria.
You can have a look here Pentax K-3 II schwarz Gehäuse ab €*899,99 (2019) | Preisvergleich Geizhals Deutschland

both solid sellers selling new stock. But true, it is down to two sellers, I thought there were more.

However, If I would need one brand new now, I could have one.
New K-3ii's on e-bay selling for about $1,150 (U.S.) w/18-135mm kit lens and about $800 for the body only. Lightly used (less than 10,000 clicks) are going for 550-600. I bought a gently used one (about 7000 clicks) for that price and I coupled it with a 70mm limited f2.4--bang.... it still pops.