Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like they are trying to cash in on the extra sales colorful camera bodies produced without getting criticized for making "toy cameras".

...I always liked their colourful cameras. Thought the criticisms were silly and it would have been fun to have one. My K7 won for features though.

03-01-2019, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maybe the 85 is just not in the glass stage of development. ....time will tell. No glass yet means 2020, if it is 2019 then there must be glass under the black cap.
03-01-2019, 07:24 AM - 4 Likes   #18
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The 85 is at the same stage of development as the 50 was when it was shown under glass. The means it could be a year away. What the attendant said was they don't want people taking photos of the inside. Perhaps the formula is not patented yet. It didn't look quite so massive in the case with the lens hood off, but it's definitely bigger then the 50.

The impression I got was they have had so many cases of delays in delivering lenses that they are just reluctant to give any launch estimates now. It doesn't mean they've slowed down on developing the lenses.

I was given one of those cards with the logo on. That custom KP area was very stylized, including the clothing of the Ricoh guys manning it. I think some of the forum members here would like the black baseball cap with the AOCO logo that they had behind them.
03-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe the 85 is just not in the glass stage of development. ....time will tell. No glass yet means 2020, if it is 2019 then there must be glass under the black cap.
Brilliant deduction!!

03-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the report.
I'm going on Sunday.

That's the KP cleared up then.
To be honest, I like the designs and was curious about them.

Did you have time to go to the outlet store and used camera fair?
03-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for a very well done report!
03-01-2019, 07:58 AM - 3 Likes   #22

Thank you for the report. I would love to purchase one of those Pentax baseball caps. IMO, if Ricoh was smart they would offer Pentax apparel on their site.

Personally, I love the colorful Pentax bodies. My favorite styling was the K-30 which looked spectacular in red and blue. I've always enjoyed standing apart from the crowd and questioning conventional wisdom and perhaps that why I love being a Pentaxian. The brand seems to revel in being different and unique. I applaud it. But I too am longing for the day the new flagship APS-C camera is announced. Fortunately, my K-3 works flawlessly!

Cheers!
SC

03-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #23
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Thanks for the report.
I'm going on Sunday.

That's the KP cleared up then.
To be honest, I like the designs and was curious about them.

Did you have time to go to the outlet store and used camera fair?
I had a quick look, but I'm not really in the market for anything at the moment. Saving my pennies for a GR III.

Have fun on Sunday, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about the show.
03-01-2019, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The 85mm had a black plastic disk where the glass should be, but a staff member told me this is normal procedure because they don’t want people spying on the optical formula.
This is something that I really don't understand. The lens is already patented and the optical formula is know. Every other manufacturer on the planet already has a current 85mm on the market or is about to launch one. I don't really see Canon/Nikon/Sony/Sigma/Tamron or anyone looking at a lens at a show and saying holy cow, we need to re-design ours. It just doesn't happen. The competition really doesn't care what Ricoh is doing.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-01-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Masked vulgarity
03-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Note also the playing cards with brand logos...
I was wondering about the playing cards - if they were Pentax/Ricoh 100 Anniversary themed or something. Did you happen to get a photo of the back of he cards too?
03-01-2019, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

The 85 is at the same stage of development as the 50 was when it was shown under glass. The means it could be a year away. (...)
Yep, the first time the 50mm was shown under glass, it was at CP+2017 and it had a 3D-printed casing. People here might remember the strip of black tape that covered the end of the lens's denomination on the golden ring.

The same mock-up was shown in South Korea in April 2017 and in China in July. A few preliminary specifications were announced on 26 October and a working prototype was shown at PhotoPlus Expo (late October) and Salon de la Photo in Paris (mid-November). Additional specifications were announced just before CP+ 2018 and a prototype / pre-series lens was available for touch & try sessions during CP+. Initially scheduled for spring 2018 the launch then experienced a three-month delay because of production issues. Full-blown announcement took place on 29 June 2018 and the lens was available on 20 July 2018.

Same with K-1: mock-up under glass at CP+ 2015, working prototype in October 2015, announcement at CP+2016, available in April 2016.

Comparaison n'est pas raison, as we say in French (= comparisons do not provide all the answers, analogies are imperfect, or 'comparisons are odious' as one says), but I would bet that the 85mm f/1.4, except if delayed, should be available sometimes during spring 2020. (spring in the northern hemisphere, hello to our friends from the antipodes )
03-01-2019, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This is something that I really don't understand. The lens is already patented and the optical formula is known. Every other manufacturer on the planet already has a current 85mm on the market or is about to launch one. I don't really see Canon/Nikon/Sony/Sigma/Tamron or anyone looking at a lens at a show and saying holy cow, we need to re-design ours. It just doesn't happen. The competition really doesn't care what Ricoh is doing.
Do you have a link?

Anyway, I think the whole 'black plastic disk = normal procedure to avoid spying on the optical formula' is pure and simple BS.

If there is a piece of plastic where the distance and depth-of-field window should be, is it also to avoid people spying on it?

There are definitely working prototypes but those cannot be shown, not because of spies but because they look like what they are, early prototypes, not like something close to the finished product.

A mock-up without glass and with a 3D-printed casing is the cheapest way to manufacture and show something that looks like the finished product, save for some 'details' (front lens, distance and depth-of-field window).
03-01-2019, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Digital Camera Watch were apparently quite surprised by the hiatus between project substance and official communication: 'Prior announcement was about one model only but, when visiting the booth, various variations of KP Custom were lining up. It seems that the public relations manager didn't know about this, perhaps it might be a convincing attempt from the planning staff.'

【イベントレポート】【CP+2019】男の趣味空間に並ぶ「PENTAX KPカスタム」を見てきた - デジカメ Watch

Google translation

Note also the playing cards with brand logos...

...and the jumble of mechanical equipment: motorcycle, cameras, wristwatches.

Digital Camera Watch said the exhibition felt like the space where one would practice their hobby.
Haha that playing card actually says 1%er. Looks like Pentax have affiliated with outlaws! Perhaps that's why were not seeing Pentax in stores anymore. We need to start looking at corners and other locations where "alternative" wares are being sold.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This is something that I really don't understand. The lens is already patented and the optical formula is know. Every other manufacturer on the planet already has a current 85mm on the market or is about to launch one. I don't really see Canon/Nikon/Sony/Sigma/Tamron or anyone looking at a lens at a show and saying holy cow, we need to re-design ours. It just doesn't happen. The competition really doesn't care what Ricoh is doing.
Winder I've had serveral paranoid bosses in the past. Extremely secretive of things that have no value.
03-01-2019, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

as over the years. The images changing timed to drum beats. It was bright and cheerful and I hope they make it available online soon. They said they are not planning a specific anniversary model. Their new models will be forward looking, not commemorative.
Kudos to that. The world really doesn't need another gold plated camera in a presentation box, destined for the trophy case never
to be used.

Remember the dreadfully lackluster Nikon 100 year anniversary release?
03-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Haha that playing card actually says 1%er. Looks like Pentax have affiliated with outlaws! Perhaps that's why were not seeing Pentax in stores anymore. We need to start looking at corners and other locations where "alternative" wares are being sold.
Here in the US, 1%er refers to the wealthiest 1% of the population. While many of them might be crooks few are actually outlaws.
Another indication Pentax is being inched towards the premium buyer market?