Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Here in the US, 1%er refers to the wealthiest 1% of the population. While many of them might be crooks few are actually outlaws.
Another indication Pentax is being inched towards the premium buyer market?
Looking at most of the lenses they've issued recently, "inched" is probably the wrong verb.

03-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #32
Pentaxian

'Footed'?
03-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Do you have a link?

Anyway, I think the whole 'black plastic disk = normal procedure to avoid spying on the optical formula' is pure and simple BS.

If there is a piece of plastic where the distance and depth-of-field window should be, is it also to avoid people spying on it?

There are definitely working prototypes but those cannot be shown, not because of spies but because they look like what they are, early prototypes, not like something close to the finished product.

A mock-up without glass and with a 3D-printed casing is the cheapest way to manufacture and show something that looks like the finished product, save for some 'details' (front lens, distance and depth-of-field window).
I might be mistaken, but I thought the patent had been posted on this forum.

I agree with you. I just don't think they have anything that is close enough to a finished product that they can show it. We are probably a year away from seeing this lens.
03-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #34
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you very much JPT, excellent report!

Did you attend the Friday 2PM talk and interview by Kimio Tanaka?

For those who will go today/tomorrow, Tanaka-san's talk/interview sessions are scheduled at 13:15 Sat. and 14:10 Sun.

It seems that they're handing out QR code cards (? or maybe displaying QR code somewhere) that you can use to submit your questions for the interviewer's consideration.

https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1100687783906107392

03-01-2019, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Here in the US, 1%er refers to the wealthiest 1% of the population. While many of them might be crooks few are actually outlaws.
Another indication Pentax is being inched towards the premium buyer market?
I'm familiar with that usage of the term. But before Occupy Wallstreet started using it the US biker gangs were using it to signify that they were part of the 1% of biker gangs that according to American Motorcycle Association weren't law abiding. Examples are Hells Angels, Bandidos etc.

They seem to be going for that aesthetic with the cards, bikes clothes etc. Albeit with a japanese corporate suitable take on it all
03-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I'm familiar with that usage of the term. But before Occupy Wallstreet started using it the US biker gangs were using it to signify that they were part of the 1% of biker gangs that according to American Motorcycle Association weren't law abiding. Examples are Hells Angels, Bandidos etc.

They seem to be going for that aesthetic with the cards, bikes clothes etc. Albeit with a japanese corporate suitable take on it all
I stand corrected. Now that you mention it, I do remember that prior usage of "1%". Sadly, I do fear it has been superseded by the usage
I referred to you in the minds of many. Consider, what first comes to mind if I use the words 'queer' or 'gay'? I'll bet for most people
it's not "odd" and "carefree", respectively.
03-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #37
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Haha that playing card actually says 1%er. Looks like Pentax have affiliated with outlaws! Perhaps that's why were not seeing Pentax in stores anymore. We need to start looking at corners and other locations where "alternative" wares are being sold.
Maybe they found the inspiration in this very forum in a thread of mine......

Pentax marketshare less then 1 % ? - PentaxForums.com

03-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Pentax marketshare less then 1 % ? - PentaxForums.com

That's a great Pentax sticker/patch/pin actually
"Pentax 1%er"
I'd be very surprised if that's the new Pentax marketing. Saying that I guess one should take advantage of what you have!
03-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'd be very surprised if that's the new Pentax marketing. Saying that I guess one should take advantage of what you have!
Negativity was the old fad. Now the new trend is meditation of happiness. Do they also have people like you at Canon or Fuji? Because honestly, it would be a relief not to see your comments anymore (warning : humor joke ).
03-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Presumably, the D FA * 85 mockup was created with a Ricoh branded 3D printer. IIRC, there was at least one working D FA * 70-200 prototype making the rounds well before that lens was finally released. Perhaps a bad experience with that product development led to the use of 3D printed Potemkin lenses, or perhaps there really isn't anything else to show.
03-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe they can do some custom grips for other/older Pentax bodies (such as LX)?
03-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #42
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Thank you very much JPT, excellent report!

Did you attend the Friday 2PM talk and interview by Kimio Tanaka?
Yes. I saw that. It was quite interesting and bit different to what was said on the Thursday. They were very unclear about timelines, but did give more details about the products themselves.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit fed up with what I translate or summarize being pasted into rumor site as troll food, so I've kind of decided not to do it any more.
03-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Unfortunately, I'm a bit fed up with what I translate or summarize being pasted into rumor site as troll food, so I've kind of decided not to do it any more.
I'm sorry to hear that - your translations are our best source of truth, rather than the sloppy words produced by Microsoft's automation.
03-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm very sorry to hear that. I don't visit the troll sites, and really look forward to your posts.
03-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I'm very very sorry to hear that. There is nothing more valuable than first-hand testimonies and yours are always a pleasure to read.