Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 235 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Yes. I saw that. It was quite interesting and bit different to what was said on the Thursday. They were very unclear about timelines, but did give more details about the products themselves.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit fed up with what I translate or summarize being pasted into rumor site as troll food, so I've kind of decided not to do it any more.
I'm saddened to hear that, I do understand how you feel.
What you're doing is much appreciated. If you stop, the trolls win

03-01-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #47
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, I'm a bit fed up with what I translate or summarize being pasted into rumor site as troll food, so I've kind of decided not to do it any more.
I'm saddened to hear that too, though I completely understand. If you've any ideas around how you might continue to translate and offer information, perhaps with help in presentation, please let me know. Either way, thanks for your assistance thus far
03-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Did you attend the Friday 2PM talk and interview by Kimio Tanaka?
Yes. I saw that. It was quite interesting and bit different to what was said on the Thursday. They were very unclear about timelines, but did give more details about the products themselves.
The only tweets he has made today refer to the last two days of CP+, such as
QuoteQuote:
でも、ぼくは少なからず、そのことについては「今後どうなるのか」興味があります。担当者が公開の場でどのように「言い訳」をするのか知りたいので、今日か、最終日の明日にでも機会があれば聞いてみようと思ってます。「えっ?」といった、良い返事を期待してるんですが。
Translated from Japanese by Microsoft
But I'm not a little, I'm interested in that "what will happen in the future". I want to know how the person in charge will make an "excuse" in a public place, so I am going to ask if there is a chance today or tomorrow on the last day. Eh I'm expecting a good reply.
Twitter

{yes, I am following him right now, and hoping that the Microsoft translator provided by Twitter is close to correct}
03-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #49
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm very sorry to hear that, JPT. I always enjoyed reading your first-hand reports in Japan (much appreciated!) but I do understand your decision.

03-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The only tweets he has made today refer to the last two days of CP+, such as
Twitter

{yes, I am following him right now, and hoping that the Microsoft translator provided by Twitter is close to correct}
i think a better translation would be:

But I'm am very much interested in 'what happens next'. Since I want to know how the person in charge will provide an 'explanation' in a public place, I will try to ask the question if there is an opportunity, today or even even tomorrow on the last day. I'm expecting a good reply such as 'Huh?'
03-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

But I'm am very much interested in 'what happens next'. Since I want to know how the person in charge will provide an 'explanation' in a public place, I will try to ask the question if there is an opportunity, today or even even tomorrow on the last day. I'm expecting a good reply such as 'Huh?'
Does he sound as frustrated with Ricoh in the original Japanese as he does in the stilted translation provided by Microsoft?
03-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does he sound as frustrated with Ricoh in the original Japanese as he does in the stilted translation provided by Microsoft?
Isn't Tanaka there at the invitation of Ricoh Imaging, to be a foil to the Ricoh spokesperson in a staged question and answer session? Even though he is not exclusively a Pentax photographer, he has a long history of working with and engaging with product development staff at Ricoh Imaging, so if he is expressing frustration, it is likely to be a reflection of frustration expressed by Ricoh employees who he has a relationship with.

03-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Isn't Tanaka there at the invitation of Ricoh Imaging, to be a foil to the Ricoh spokesperson in a staged question and answer session? Even though he is not exclusively a Pentax photographer, he has a long history of working with and engaging with product development staff at Ricoh Imaging, so if he is expressing frustration, it is likely to be a reflection of frustration expressed by Ricoh employees who he has a relationship with.
Thinking like that is the basis of my question - I had thought he was basically a 'shill', but in English he sounds as frustrated with their non-answers {especially about scheduling} as people here are, which is why I was hoping that someone who is fluent in Japanese could answer my question.
03-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #54
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
We know they can’t answer questions about future plans that aren’t already indicated, but he was asking them anyway with a kind of “You owe us answers!” attitude. It’s not surprising he didn’t get the answers he wanted. I thought it was quite inappropriate for the situation, especially the tweeting afterwards. I’m sure his disappointment is genuine.
03-01-2019, 08:59 PM - 3 Likes   #55
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

I would interpret the first sentence as

"However, I'm still very much interested in "what would happen" to that thing."

"that thing" is the subject of "that question" in the first tweet of that thread (see below).

The second sentence, you're almost spot-on except that "explanation" should be "excuse". He's that direct, he thinks that what Ricoh has done (or is doing) to "that thing" isn't quite right and he is curious to know what kind of excuse Ricoh has.

The last sentence means that he wants to be surprised in a good way.

Tanaka-san's first tweet in the thread was this:
QuoteQuote:
Twitter
CP+2019。リコーブースでのカメラ/レンズの企画担当者との対談セミナーが三日めになりました。しかし会場でのQ&Aで「あの質問」が出てくるのではないか、と担当者は身構えていたのですが(ぼくの知る範囲では)それはなかったみたい。皆さんにとっては、すでに興味の埒外になっているのでしょうか。

Translation by me:

"CP+2019. It's the third day of talk/seminar at the Ricoh booth with the product planner of cameras and lenses. Though the person was worried that somebody might ask "that question" in the Q&A session, it seems like nobody did (as far as I know). I wonder if you aren't interested in that any more."
There's no hint of what "that question" might be. But yesterday in another thread he tweeted that the Ricoh guy was relieved that nobody asked about 645 and Q, so that could be "that question".

---------- Post added 03-01-19 at 08:12 PM ----------

Yes, he's clearly dissatisfied and frustrated by the response he got from the Ricoh guy. But that's an OK thing for Ricoh.

Tanaka Kimio has earned some sort of "wise elder" status. He seems to be known to be 辛口 (i.e. having hard, sometimes harsh, critical opinions) and people including companies like Ricoh seem to like him for that. That's his persona and speciality. Try googling 田中希美男 辛口.

People like that are often called ご意見番, wise people who would tell things that need to be told even to the noblest (for the greater good in samurai era). Being ご意見番 seems to be an art to me, I can never do that, if you make a wrong move and become too combative or something, people won't hire you.

In today's society, companies don't hire people like that and tell them to sugarcoat their opinions. Tanaka-san is hired to provide his 辛口 opinions, people know that, some may be annoyed, some like it, and maybe that would attract audience.

That's my take on it anyway.
03-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I would interpret the first sentence as

"However, I'm still very much interested in "what would happen" to that thing."

"that thing" is the subject of "that question" in the first tweet of that thread (see below).

The second sentence, you're almost spot-on except that "explanation" should be "excuse". He's that direct, he thinks that what Ricoh has done (or is doing) to "that thing" isn't quite right and he is curious to know what kind of excuse Ricoh has.

The last sentence means that he wants to be surprised in a good way.

Tanaka-san's first tweet in the thread was this:
There's no hint of what "that question" might be. But yesterday in another thread he tweeted that the Ricoh guy was relieved that nobody asked about 645 and Q, so that could be "that question".

Yes, he's clearly dissatisfied and frustrated by the response he got from the Ricoh guy. But that's an OK thing for Ricoh.

Tanaka Kimio has earned some sort of "wise elder" status. He seems to be known to be 辛口 (i.e. having hard, sometimes harsh, critical opinions) and people including companies like Ricoh seem to like him for that. That's his persona and speciality. Try googling 田中希美男 辛口.

People like that are often called ご意見番, wise people who would tell things that need to be told even to the noblest (for the greater good in samurai era). Being ご意見番 seems to be an art to me, I can never do that, if you make a wrong move and become too combative or something, people won't hire you.

In today's society, companies don't hire people like that and tell them to sugarcoat their opinions. Tanaka-san is hired to provide his 辛口 opinions, people know that, some may be annoyed, some like it, and maybe that would attract audience.

That's my take on it anyway.
Thank you. As frustrated as some members are here, it is probably good for us to see that we aren't unique.
03-02-2019, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. As frustrated as some members are here, it is probably good for us to see that we aren't unique.
If you think you and I are frustrated, how would you enjoy being the product planner who can’t get the money from Home Office to build the products he knows people want, he knows he can build and he knows Ricoh can sell?
03-02-2019, 05:35 AM   #58
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you think you and I are frustrated, how would you enjoy being the product planner who can’t get the money from Home Office to build the products he knows people want, he knows he can build and he knows Ricoh can sell?
That is the problem in current market where someone outside the camera bubble is the decision maker when it comes to investing money. I guess Nikon and Olympus are not much different at the time, but maybe get a little more money to play with.
03-02-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Having worked in R&D much of my career, I keep putting myself in the place of the engineers. My belief, yes I have no evidence, is that they have changed direction several times, and never gotten to the point of having a product ready for production. I believe that is why what we hear about "K-3ii replacement" changes from show to show.
03-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is the problem in current market where someone outside the camera bubble is the decision maker when it comes to investing money. I guess Nikon and Olympus are not much different at the time, but maybe get a little more money to play with.
They also have more inventory choices to play with. Nikon could run out of D500 inventory and eventually Nikon users would shrug their shoulders and purchase a D7200, a D7500 or a D850 - not quite the same problem as running out of K-3ii inventory.