Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Sure, it overlaps with the low-end of the full-frame range, but I'm not interested in a large, heavy, slow, bottom of the range full-frame.
I like my bottom of the range 35mm (I hate the term full frame... Full frame what?) but like you, I'd love a top of the line APS-C and I'm willing to pay for it.

In my opinion, Ricoh actually hurt its sales with the release of the 11-18 because I'm sure people like me are waiting to spend that $1300 on the new K-3III and until then I've got the K-1 and K-5IIs and DA 12-24. I'll definitely be interested in that 11-18 as well, but I want the K-3III and I'm not blowing that budget before it arrives.

03-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
In my opinion, Ricoh actually hurt its sales with the release of the 11-18
I fell for it (had been waiting for the focal length/ f:range and like it a lot) so the release of the 11-18 made me spend my dollars on this lens.
03-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #168

Thank you for this really great CP+ 2019 report! Apparently, the KP customization is a local thing. However, I find the idea interesting.
03-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I fell for it (had been waiting for the focal length/ f:range and like it a lot) so the release of the 11-18 made me spend my dollars on this lens.
I wanted this lens for a long time... And had it been released 6-12 months ago I'd have bought it and the upcoming K-3III. Unfortunately, seeing nothing interesting on the radar and looking at my lenses (I had quite a bit of FA glass) , I decided to pick up a used K-1 and see what Pentax has done since the K-5IIs. I like the K-1, it's a great camera and I do enjoy using it, but I'd probably be more excited about the K-3III and the 11-18mm 2.8.

03-04-2019, 03:28 AM   #170
Veteran Member

I like my bottom of the range 35mm (I hate the term full frame... Full frame what?) but like you, I'd love a top of the line APS-C and I'm willing to pay for it.

In my opinion, Ricoh actually hurt its sales with the release of the 11-18 because I'm sure people like me are waiting to spend that $1300 on the new K-3III and until then I've got the K-1 and K-5IIs and DA 12-24. I'll definitely be interested in that 11-18 as well, but I want the K-3III and I'm not blowing that budget before it arrives.
I dont know exactly the gross margin on a lens vs on a body but I guess Pentax prefers you buy a lens short term because it is cash in the P&L now rather than buying a body in 12 month from now ; especially if there is this constraint of operations being profitable every single quarter
03-04-2019, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
OK. I'll explain what was said about the high-end APS-C on the Ricoh stage, but please consider that this is my recollection of a something I heard in Japanese (understood at least 80%) and rendered two days later in my own English. There is no sense in overanalyzing the specific words I choose.

The interview with Kimio Tanaka was with Iwasaki-san, but when he started talking about the APS-C, he called up Shigeru Wakashiro from the crowd and shoved the mic in his hand. This was completely to Wakashiro-san's surprise, but he played along and spoke for a few minutes. Wakashiro-san is responsible for developing the forthcoming high-end APS-C.

He mentioned that the K-7, K-5, K-3 progression cameras were considered high-end APS-C cameras, but when compared to other companies’ models, they were at the lower end of the segment. Now that the KP has taken the line in one direction, that leaves them to really make a top-class APS-C camera. If I understood correctly, it’s going to have a new processor, sensor with a different resolution - so no "KP tech in a K-3 body".

Having said that, the size will be the same as the K-3, and the body will be very familiar to K-3 owners. Obviously Tanaka-san knows about this camera more than he is letting on, and he told the audience that he had urged them to show a model or even just a silhouette at the show. However, they had told him that even showing a silhouette would reveal something about the camera they are not ready to reveal.

In terms of timeline, they were very unclear, but it seems like it is not coming in the next few months. Maybe right at the end of the year of early next.

My own interpretation of this is that it's part of a long-term strategy to place the KP in the middle-range position of the APS-C line-up (it was announced as such) and to pave the way for a true high-end APS-C camera. As you can imagine from the technology in current Pentax cameras, it will take a lot of improvements to do that, so it is taking a long time.
Nice to read something coming directly from Ricoh employees!

It should be assumed that the sensor will be the same as in the Fuli XT3, the top end Fuji APS-c camera, the Sony 26mp BSI IMX571, since Pentax always uses Sony sensors.

Chris
03-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #172
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Side note

... (I hate the term full frame... Full frame what?) ...
The full frame of the standard image size which was 36mm on film for most cameras (a.k.a "small format" vs. "medium format" and "large format" film).

Later the industry sold an even smaller film called "Advanced Photo System" APS for easier use and smaller cameras. It doesn't cover the full 36mm frame, hence it is not the standard "full frame".

03-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #173
Pentaxian

Ricoh seems to be saying you'll have around a year to save more for a "mysterious new camera" fund before any are actually on merchant's shelves.
03-04-2019, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Ricoh seems to be saying you'll have around a year to save more for a "mysterious new camera" fund before any are actually on merchant's shelves.
How considerate of them!
03-04-2019, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
How considerate of them!
They always have our interests at heart.
03-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #176
Pentaxian

I like my bottom of the range 35mm (I hate the term full frame... Full frame what?)
A "FF" frame has always been 24mm x 36mm - nothing "35mm" about it.
"FF", "35mm", "APS" are all names; they may have come from somewhere, but these days they are just accepted names and everyone knows what they refer to.
03-04-2019, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian

"FF", "35mm", "APS" are all names; they may have come from somewhere, but these days they are just accepted names and everyone knows what they refer to.
That doesn't mean you have to like them.

35mm and half frame works fine for me.
03-04-2019, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #178
Veteran Member

Well, FF film was, in fact, 35mm wide, so there is everything 35mm about it It was also officially called 135 format. Of course, the FF sensors width (or rather height) has nothing to do with it anymore, but I would not reject that number so quickly
03-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang, RE, I must have missed that inference regarding the time frame. I'd better go back and read things more throughly.
03-04-2019, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’ve had my KP for neary two years. I’ve always thought and said KP is a much better camera than people credit it........
Totally agree.totally agree. It's hard to understand the repeated dissatisfaction with the KP of people who do not use it.