Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I asked a few weeks back in another thread individuals whether the next flagship should be less than $1200 or over $1500, for example, because you can displease one group of buyers and be unaffordable to another, incremental or major upgrade.

Some real number crunching by suits would have to be involved.
It is not clear to me what a reasonable profit margin on an ILC should be. Presumably, development costs must first be recouped, and this is harder for Pentax than for Canon or Nikon. But then, does it make economic sense to keep the margin slim to attract more lens sales?

03-07-2019, 08:26 PM - 2 Likes   #122
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It is not clear to me what a reasonable profit margin on an ILC should be. Presumably, development costs must first be recouped, and this is harder for Pentax than for Canon or Nikon. But then, does it make economic sense to keep the margin slim to attract more lens sales?
I think looking at all the releases over the last year or so from different manufacturers, they've rejected that, Paul. In a shrinking market, with shrinking lens market accompanying it, you make money where you can.

The new Olympus will be three thousand dollars and reportedly is bigger than the K-1, only 20Mp, only m43 sensor size. So much for mirrorless simpler, cheaper, smaller propaganda.

Pentax lenses and bodies have recently been similar in price to others of their class (I know you own some of the new glass).

A notable exception was the K-1, which came in at a price similar to the 24Mp offerings of some rivals.

I'm only guessing that execs might have thought: if someone buys a new APS-C camera, they've already got the glass, if we offer FF they'll need to upgrade some, we'll make the real money that way.

If so, that pricing trick won't apply to the K-3 III or whatever it will be.

Last edited by clackers; 03-08-2019 at 03:50 AM.
03-07-2019, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

I think looking at all the releases over the last year or so from different manufacturers, they've rejected that, Paul. In a shrinking market, with shrinking lens market accompanying it, you make money where you can.
Clackers, I "liked" your post, mainly because you were sitting on 4999 likes and I didn't have the heart to see you stranded there.
03-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #124
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Clackers, I "liked" your post, mainly because you were sitting on 4999 likes and I didn't have the heart to see you stranded there.
As the 5000th customer, you've won a Bugatti Veyron!

Okay, it's a very low-res picture of one. Congratulations, anyway.

Attached Images

03-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I asked a few weeks back in another thread individuals whether the next flagship should be less than $1200 or over $1500, for example, because you can displease one group of buyers and be unaffordable to another, incremental or major upgrade.

Some real number crunching by suits would have to be involved.
Currency exchange rates excepted, $1,399. KP drops $200. If you don’t have the coin, don’t whine.
03-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #126
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Currency exchange rates excepted, $1,399. KP drops $200. If you don’t have the coin, don’t whine.
Some said in the other thread that's too high, so it's exactly what I was talking about.

$1400 probably can't put a world beater in Ricoh markings, more a D7200 style camera … likely without 4k video, etc.

Interesting to see how it pans out. Would love to be a fly on the wall in the planning meetings.
03-07-2019, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some said in the other thread that's too high, so it's exactly what I was talking about.

$1400 probably can't put a world beater in Ricoh markings, more a D7200 style camera … likely without 4k video, etc.

Interesting to see how it pans out. Would love to be a fly on the wall in the planning meetings.
I don’t think people would pay $1,700 for the Pentax flagship even if there was a more modest camera between it and the KP.

03-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #128
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t think people would pay $1,700 for the Pentax flagship even if there was a more modest camera between it and the KP.
I agree, you could say if somebody really wanted to pay good money for better photography, at that price they should consider holding off buying a little longer, save, and put in the extra for a K-1. There's the upgrade, it could be said by a marketing department.

Nikon and Canon users don't get a choice with their new mirrorless platforms. It's FF or nothing in Z and R mounts.

And of course they cost more, that's what the companies want. That they're sacrificing units shifted for margins is a given.
03-08-2019, 02:30 AM   #129
Banned

Price is very important.

Currently overhere some new actions to sell stuff.

With a K-1 for 1.999 euro you get a free d-fa 100mm Macro lens.

Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Body Zwart kopen? | CameraNU.nl

There are offers on all models currently.
- K-1 get a free 100mm Macro lens
- KP get a free 55-300mm wr lens (not plm)
- K-70 get a free da 50mm lens

In this shop K-1 plus 100mm Macro lens for 1899 euro, shipping all EU.
https://fotolooman.nl/pentax-k-1-ii-body.html
03-08-2019, 03:09 AM   #130
Pentaxian

I find it more impressive that you can get a K-1 gor 1299€
Pentax K-1 Gehäuse, schwarz: Amazon.de: Kamera
03-08-2019, 03:24 AM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I find it more impressive that you can get a K-1 gor 1299€
Pentax K-1 Gehäuse, schwarz: Amazon.de: Kamera
Wow, good price!

This is too bad that Pentax do not release firmware updates with new features (AF, dynamic PS, etc...), camera bodies would live longer.

Anyone know if the Ricoh interview happened? Usually there is a report very soon after CP+ on PF.
03-08-2019, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We've discussed this before, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 4K video on the next APS-C camera. The sensors that do that are starting to get 2 and 3 years old and Pentax is going to have to replace their current PRIME engine. Might as well get some image processor that is a bit more video capable at the same time. I still don't see them investing a lot of time and effort into video, but I do think it is a box they'll check, at least for the K3 II sequel.
03-08-2019, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Price is very important.

Currently overhere some new actions to sell stuff.

With a K-1 for 1.999 euro you get a free d-fa 100mm Macro lens.

Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Body Zwart kopen? | CameraNU.nl

There are offers on all models currently.
- K-1 get a free 100mm Macro lens
- KP get a free 55-300mm wr lens (not plm)
- K-70 get a free da 50mm lens

In this shop K-1 plus 100mm Macro lens for 1899 euro, shipping all EU.
Pentax K-1 II Body
Indeed, I just snapped a new KP and got 55-300 HD WR as a gift.
03-08-2019, 03:49 AM - 3 Likes   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote

This is too bad that Pentax do not release firmware updates with new features (AF, dynamic PS, etc...), camera bodies would live longer.
Don't know about yours, superdave, but my K-1 picked up by updates Lightroom tethering, KAF4 compatibility, electronic shutter, 1:1 framing in the OVF, red lit night mode, white dot noise reduction for long exposures, bulb mode to twenty minutes.
03-08-2019, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #135

Don't know about yours, superdave, but my K-1 picked up by updates Lightroom tethering, KAF4 compatibility, electronic shutter, 1:1 framing in the OVF, red lit night mode, white dot noise reduction for long exposures, bulb mode to twenty minutes.
Not bad at all, I don't have a K-1 and I didn't remembered that there were such updates.
My K-5 and K-3II didn't had any new features, just compatibility with new hardware, and my K-3II still didn't have the 11-18 optimizations.