Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Kickstarter campaign has ended.

1,154 backers pledged $445,325 corresponding to 1,201 lenses, of which 33 Lomogon 32mm f/2.5 lenses in Pentax K mount. Since the threshold of 50 K-mount lenses was not crossed, this variant should not be manufactured.

04-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It will be interesting to see how these work. I bought a lomo sprocket rocket a year ago. Fun camera but man they are super plastic. I was totally sold on the concept but in practice it's just a touch too cheap for my tastes. It would be nice if they pushed their design one step further, I found it really limiting.
04-10-2019, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
It will be interesting to see how these work. I bought a lomo sprocket rocket a year ago. Fun camera but man they are super plastic. I was totally sold on the concept but in practice it's just a touch too cheap for my tastes. It would be nice if they pushed their design one step further, I found it really limiting.
If the production version is anything like my prototype, there's not a single plastic part in evidence other than the front trim ring (and I'm not entirely certain that's plastic either - it could be engraved metal). The whole lens body is brass, and the rotating aperture wheel is stamped from some kind of metal, though since it's coated, I can't be sure what exactly... Quality-wise, it's beautiful. What might divide folks is the image quality. I think it will be a love / hate thing. Those who are looking for something unusual will probably love it, but it's definitely an "artistic" lens rather than something that's practical for general use...
04-10-2019, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If the production version is anything like my prototype, there's not a single plastic part in evidence other than the front trim ring (and I'm not entirely certain that's plastic either - it could be engraved metal). The whole lens body is brass, and the rotating aperture wheel is stamped from some kind of metal, though since it's coated, I can't be sure what exactly... Quality-wise, it's beautiful. What might divide folks is the image quality. I think it will be a love / hate thing. Those who are looking for something unusual will probably love it, but it's definitely an "artistic" lens rather than something that's practical for general use...
Well, as long as it's capable of the required 320x240 resolution of a Professional DSLR Camera, it should be good!

04-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be interested in seeing some real-world photos as opposed to promotional ones they put out for their Kickstarter campaign. Have you posted any on the forums by any chance?
04-10-2019, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cool! Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of arty lenses. My impression of the sprocket rocket was that it was a little too far down the rabbit hole for my tastes, but of course it's only one offering from the company. I found it frustrating, because if it was just pushed a tiny bit further along the quality/feature scale it would be a much more fun camera.
04-10-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool! Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of arty lenses.
Sure, I didn't take your comments at all negatively - sorry if I gave that impression In any case, Lomography has produced some real howlers... as well as some very decent and creative lenses. So it pays to be a little cautious

My impression of the sprocket rocket was that it was a little too far down the rabbit hole for my tastes, but of course it's only one offering from the company. I found it frustrating, because if it was just pushed a tiny bit further along the quality/feature scale it would be a much more fun camera.
I've only briefly tried some of the other Lomography lenses, and a couple of cameras (such as the Belair, which is rather poor pressed-tin-plate camera with nasty stick-on body covering and plastic lenses...). My view is that this lens (assuming the production version is close to my prototype) has a very high build quality, and is surprisingly "normal" optically when stopped down to f/8 and smaller, so it's not just for whacky images. Wide open, out of focus highlights and bokeh are very distinctive (you might find them too distinctive, but that would be a personal taste thing). That reduces through f/4 and f/5.6, but we're definitely talking about an artsy lens, not one that performs particularly well or is at all corrected...

I think those that buy it will have some idea of what to expect, and will be very pleased with it, but it's definitely not a lens for every-day use...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.