Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 574 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Since pretax went with 28-105 for it's base lens, 24 is absolutely necessary. But the weight savings in ƒ3.5 compared to 1.4, it's discouraging to see that this will be another monster. I guess I should start shopping for an FA 20-35 or FA 20 or 24. Landscape season is coming,.
Norm,
I have been using a F24-50 on K-3 and now KP for two years as my primary lens. Yes it’s a plastic outer shell but the internals are weighty.
I’m also in the middle of a long term documentation of early abandoned schoolhouses here in lower Appalachia. The KP/F24-50 low light capabilities in a cluttered, darkened gym or classroom have been a revelation. $150 US two years ago from a Northern Michigan camera store’s basement. Regards

03-14-2019, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

I have said repeatedly that the D-FA* 24mm should have been the first lens released. The K-1 is probably the best landscape/architectural you can buy for the money and the lack of a lens that can take advantage of that was a mistake.
03-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I first thought if #1 is correct the APSc flagship people should be comforted. @caliscouser makes a valid point though. Two years is a long time.

My screwdrive 16-50 is very good but not perfect. My 50-135 is a revelation. I assume they’re not even thinking of updating that one yet.

My current daydream fantasy is winning some $300,000,000 net money lottery and hiring an investment bank to figure out how to give a lot of it to SmarVision *

* It would never work. Ricoh would sell Imaging.
03-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
It's a minor point, but Adam and Tanaka both interviewed Tetsuya Iwasaki. But Adam wasn't there to conduct four staged interviews for the public like Tanaka was, and because of Tanaka's public profile in Japan, it would be expected that Tanaka would receive more impressive information. Tanaka also has a long history with various people at Ricoh Imaging and has been allowed to preview pre-production lenses and cameras in the past. So, I'm with you, any perceived faults with Adam's interview (and I think wed7 was trying to be ironic, not critical) are not Adam's fault.
Thanks for the correction, also the context

03-14-2019, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
The Samyang 24/1.4 is great for astro...one of the best options at any price or focal length. If Pentax could hit that with autofocus and waterproofing, I'd buy without hesitation.
If you are fortunate enough to get one that was built correctly. The design is good but manufacturing is inconsistent. I had to return 2 bad copies. I'm not an outlier; there are many reports of decentered lenses.
03-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Those release dates are disappointing but not unexpected. Ricoh either doesn't see it as a problem or is bad at fixing it.
03-14-2019, 11:23 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Adam interviewed a different Ricoh representative and presented questions collated from forum members. I wasn't especially impressed with the answers to those questions, but that's not Adam's fault. With respect, it seems a little ungrateful to suggest he didn't do his homework

Anyway, let's stay on the topic of the OP's post, please
My bad

@Adam and the rest of the team, I deeply apologize for my inappropriate behavior it was a mistake to compare in the first place.

Please, continue with your discussion.

03-14-2019, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
My bad

@Adam and the rest of the team, I deeply apologize for my inappropriate behavior it was a mistake to compare in the first place.

Please, continue with your discussion.
At least Ricoh did, in both interviews, renew their 'promise' to replace the K-3ii.
03-14-2019, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Thank you to Adam and others and a question or two

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
At least Ricoh did, in both interviews, renew their 'promise' to replace the K-3ii.
I want to thank Adam for his interview, he did a great job under the circumstances.

Now for the questions. Did any forum members actually think or expect that there would be any concrete information come from the interview? Has there ever been answers given at CP+ or any of the big shows by any Pentax manager that revealed any of Pentax future plans or release dates? I'll answer the last one, I can't recall any but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.

Mind you, as for my self, I didn't expect anything but courteous non answers to Adam's questions from Iwasaki-san.

cross posted:
03-14-2019, 12:07 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A compact 20mm FF Limited (say f/4) would suit me very well. The FF counterpart of the DA15 Limited.
03-14-2019, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Looks like some re-designs of existing lenses are coming. Things that you do not put on a roadmap like the 16-50.
Large aperture wide angle with 24 mm is interesting. Don't compete with FA31 or ART35 and try to fill the lack of wide angles primes. 2021 is when Sigma is presenting the ART MKii line or their lenses.

The only good news about 2021 is that Pentax thinks to still make K-mount lenses in the future for DSLRs cameras.
03-14-2019, 12:39 PM - 4 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I want to thank Adam for his interview, he did a great job under the circumstances.

Now for the questions. Did any forum members actually think or expect that there would be any concrete information come from the interview? Has there ever been answers given at CP+ or any of the big shows by any Pentax manager that revealed any of Pentax future plans or release dates? I'll answer the last one, I can't recall any but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.

Mind you, as for my self, I didn't expect anything but courteous non answers to Adam's questions from Iwasaki-san.

cross posted:
In both on-stage interviews and Adam's interview they said they are still working on the K-3ii replacement, a reassurance that was sadly missing at Photokina. In one of the on-stage interviews, they even said that will be the next Pentax body out the door.

In the various interviews they consistently put K-mount ahead of any other Pentax mount, so anyone waiting for another 645 or {even more} a "Q" has a long wait coming.

In the interview with Adam, they specifically said that there were {not specified} difficulties in making use of the 'accelerator' optional. so no one should expect to see an "on/off accelerator" switch any time soon.

They used the words "joy" and "enjoy" several times in the interview with Adam, which I believe gives whole new insight as to how they view the goals of their target audience; members whose "arguments" are based on the needs of professional photographers should probably rethink what they are saying.

There were several other things I noticed in my first reading of Adam's report, but I can't find them right now. IMHO, those are concrete, and they aren't non-answers.

added: In the interview with Adam {A11}, they indicated that the current pixel shift process requires software-hardware cooperation, so no one should expect a software-only solution any time soon

Last edited by reh321; 03-14-2019 at 12:54 PM.
03-14-2019, 01:08 PM - 4 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Doesn't have to be - Canon's 24mm F/1.4 L II weighs 650g and takes 77mm filters, while being very good (except vignetting).
I understand that they're not in the same league, but the form factor of the F and FA 28mm, as well as the DA21, is very appealing to me. I'd settle for a F2 or F2.8 24mm lens anytime, if it delivered wide open. Not all lenses need to match the light gathering capabilities of the DFA* 50mm...

Wishful thinking, but including straight aperture blades would be even better. Essentially, a FF equivalent of the DA21.

For the moment, I'm with @normhead, I'll be using the FA20-35.
03-14-2019, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
IMHO, those are concrete, and they aren't non-answers.
Tsk, tsk, tsk... you have been paying attention - that's not allowed!
Instead, skimp over for some convenient words and twist them to support some predefined "conclusion".

(By the way, on the interview's comment section, someone was complaining that there's no lens roadmap. I guess if you can't be bothered to look for it on the usual place at Ricoh Imaging's website, it doesn't exist at all).
03-14-2019, 01:50 PM - 4 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: ‘Joy’ and ‘Enjoy’, I noticed that when I read it. I shoot for the pleasure of taking photographs, both with new and legacy equipment. This is right up my alley. How interesting! (I’m not alone out here.)