Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 574 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A 16-50 with the updating that the FA 35 f2 just got? Meh. Massive 24? Meh again. Some kind of full frame 20 that some of the same design ethos as the DA 21 or FA 20? Seems cool and there's probably a market for that but not of interest for myself. They've sort of inverted my suggestion of a cheap & cheerful 25mm and a big bad 18 with all the sharpness and quality of rendering that could be asked for.

03-14-2019, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
A 16-50 with the updating that the FA 35 f2 just got? Meh. Massive 24? Meh again. Some kind of full frame 20 that some of the same design ethos as the DA 21 or FA 20? Seems cool and there's probably a market for that but not of interest for myself. They've sort of inverted my suggestion of a cheap & cheerful 25mm and a big bad 18 with all the sharpness and quality of rendering that could be asked for.
The 16-50 project sounds like more of an upgrade to the 11-18 mechanical and optical design / output standard. In-lens motor, correction for edge sharpness, etc.
03-14-2019, 02:12 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

If it was just a HD version of the old DA*, it wouldn't be on the roadmap.
The 35 wasn't.
03-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #34
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I think the GRIII is that, unless you would like 18mm on fullframe.

03-14-2019, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty cool with the idea of a stonking D-FA*24/1.4, will match nicely with the 50 and 85. And as the 85 is still 9 to 12 months away will mean we will have another 18 months to squirrel away the necessary €1500 or so for it.
I'm in the minority here in that I seem to have a sorted DA*16-50 barring that I needed to convert it to screw drive but I play to its strengths and don't go looking for weaknesses and we get along just fine.

Ref the discussion on this review verses PF's review, I wonder if Ricoh see Adam and PF as the hardcore extremist Pentaxian and just judge it safer to be reasonably vague. Imagine the forum if they gave a dated roadmap with planned MTF readings of each lens... �� and then had to delay!
03-14-2019, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Ref the discussion on this review vs PF's review, I wonder if Ricoh see Adam and PF as the hardcore extremist Pentaxian and just judge it safer to be reasonably vague. Imagine the forum if they gave a dated roadmap with planned MTF readings of each lens... �� and then had to delay!
People here have correctly said over-and-over again that Pentax would be dumb to publish their plans on the Internet. My issue with those complaints is that members needs some assurance of action behind the scenes and some indication of what direction they are going in. Quite frankly, they gave that in the on-stage interviews, and even more in the interview with @Adam; I am completely puzzled how someone can read through that and not realize what a treasure it is - I skimmed it once, then read it more carefully when I realized how much they had said. I would say more about the "joy" parts, but I can't think of what to say without creating issues.
03-14-2019, 03:30 PM - 10 Likes   #37
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
People here have correctly said over-and-over again that Pentax would be dumb to publish their plans on the Internet. My issue with those complaints is that members needs some assurance of action behind the scenes and some indication of what direction they are going in. Quite frankly, they gave that in the on-stage interviews, and even more in the interview with @Adam; I am completely puzzled how someone can read through that and not realize what a treasure it is - I skimmed it once, then read it more carefully when I realized how much they had said. I would say more about the "joy" parts, but I can't think of what to say without creating issues.
I agree- in this year's interview, I feel the responses were more transparent than ever before. Although Ricoh/Pentax obviously can't share too much about future products (and, to be fair, the focal lengths reported at the other talk can essentially be deduced from the already-public roadmap), I think they genuinely value the importance of the PF community and the large user base that we represent. They have reaffirmed their commitment to the DSLR, while also admitting the pace of product releases will be slower but better-tailored to our needs in the future. I think they days of new camera models every 1-2 years are over; we might be looking at longer cycles but higher-quality products overall.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2019, 03:58 PM - 10 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I love the joy parts. They could be aiming their entire philosophy right at me.
03-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #39

Photos: Gallery
That joy talk reminds me of BMW's tacky marketing campaign...
Great to hear they are committed to the dslr K mount and working on stuff like better autofocus.
Will wait patiently for the 85mm.
03-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #40
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You are sitting in the sweet spot
03-14-2019, 04:44 PM - 3 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or me, push come to shove I'd be happy running a K-1 and 43 for the next decade, learning to capture the moment the joyful way described by Pentax.
03-14-2019, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Or me, push come to shove I'd be happy running a K-1 and 43 for the next decade, learning to capture the moment the joyful way described by Pentax.
Photography was becoming slightly less fun when I had to change procedures because of aperture control issues with my K-30, but the KP is definitely a fun adventure!
03-14-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now the DA*11-18 is out in the world and kicking goals, an update of the DA*16-50 would be most welcome. It's just not quite up to the optical standard (at the wide end at least) of the other DA* zooms, and the SDM needs to go. Given the new ultra-wide zoom covers 16-18, I wonder if making the standard zoom 18-50 would improve it optically and make it more compact. Is internal zoom feasible?

A DFA*24/1.4 makes more sense than a 35/1.4, especially as we now have the refreshed HD FA35/2.0 as well as the FA31/1.8.

I wonder if the ultra-wide will be a similar refresh of the FA20/2.8. It would be really cool if it came dressed in Limited clothing, but I think that's very unlikely.
03-14-2019, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

A 24mm prime will hit two birds FF and crop shooters. More time to save.
03-14-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
A 24mm prime will hit two birds FF and crop shooters. More time to save.
Part of that depends on how "perfect" it is - how large and heavy {and expensive!}.
I doubt if I'm the only APS-C user unwilling to devote the entire bag to one lens.