Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 06:54 AM - 16 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Lens roadmap: Tanaka-san spills the beans

(Edited on 16 March to add the second part of Kimio Tanaka's so-called 'predictions'.)

You've heard of Kimio Tanaka before on Pentax Forums. He is this car and celebrity photographer, a bit of a maverick, who interviewed Tetsuya Iwasaki (Manager of the Second Product Planning Section, Product Management Department, Ricoh Imaging) four times during CP+.

Kimio Tanaka has a Twitter account 田中希美男 (@thisistanaka) | Twitter and a blog Photo of the Day. In his blog he posted what he says are his predictions (予想) concerning the six lenses on the K-mount roadmap. I would bet that those are much more than educated guesses.

1. DA Standard Zoom Lens

このDAレンズ(APS-C判用)は「★レンズ」です。開放F値は「F2.8通し」のズームレンズになるでしょう(ほぼ確実)。
 現在、DA★の標準ズームは「smc PENTAX-DA★16~50mmF2.8ED AL [IF] SDM」がありますが、たぶん、そのレンズの"バージョンアップ版"となるレンズだと思います。ズーム域は多少、変わるかも知れませんが、ほぼ同じと考えていいでしょう。性能は、もちろん良くなるはずです。
 発売予定時期は控えめに見て「2020年末か2021年春」ぐらいでしょう。

This DA lens (APS-C format) is a '★ lens'. This will be a zoom lens with an “F2.8” f-number (this is almost certain).

Currently, the standard DA★ zoom is 'smc PENTAX-DA★ 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM'; I think it will probably be the 'upgraded version' of that lens. The zoom range may change slightly, but you can think of it as being almost the same. Performance should of course be better.

A conservative estimate of the scheduled release date would be around 'end of 2020 or spring of 2021'.

2. Large Aperture Wide-Angle Single Focus Lens

こちらのレンズはフルサイズ判用の「D FA」で、「★レンズ」です(これも、ほぼ確実)。焦点距離について岩崎部長は「35mm、28mm、24mmあたりを考えています」と言ってましたが「24mm」にほぼ確定です(自信あり)。35mm、28mm、24mmの3本の中で設計がいちばん難しいのは24mmですが、敢えてそこを狙っていくつもりらしい。ぼくも24mm狙いは大賛成です。開放F値はもちろん「F1.4」でしょう。
 発売予定時期は、皆さん気楽にお待ちくださいの「2021年末までには」です。

This lens is a 'D FA' for full size format and a '★ lens' (this is almost certain). Concerning its focal length, Mr Iwasaki said 'We are thinking about 35mm, 28mm and 24mm', but I was told '24mm' is almost decided (I am confident with that). Among the 35mm, 28mm and 24mm, 24mm is the most difficult to design, but they intend to dare to aim for it. I agree with the aim at 24mm. Of course the f-number will be 'F1.4'.

As for the scheduled release date, everyone please wait serenely until 'the end of 2021'.

3. Ultra Wide-Angle Single Focus Lens

こちらが"難問"です。岩崎部長もこのレンズの話になると、曖昧になってはぐらかしてばかり。はっきり言わない。でも「FAまたはD FA」レンズは確実です。おそらく焦点距離は「20mm」だと思います。ひょっとすると ━━ ぼくの希望的推測ですが ━━ ひさびさの「Limitedレンズ」かも。
 FAのLimitedを出す、近々出したい、といった話をチラッと聞いたことがあるので、ぼくは期待しているわけです。愉しみです。
発売時期は、大いに期待の来年「2020年じゅう」ではないでしょうか。

This is a 'difficult topic'. Mr Iwasaki too is vague and frustrated when it comes to this lens. He does not say it clearly. But 'FA or D FA' lens is certain. I think the focal length is probably 20mm. Perhaps -this is wishful thinking on my part- but it might be the 'Limited lens' I have been waiting for a long time.

I would like a FA Limited to be released soon and, because I've heard a few such talks, I'm expecting they'll do it. I would be delighted.

As for the release date, there shouldn't be any great hope in next year '2020'.

4. HD PENTAX-D FA★ 85mm F1.4

とありますがレンズ名は仮称です。
 CP+2019でモックアップが参考出品されてました。レンズ外観デザインや大きさなども決定版ではないとのことですが、おそらくアノ大きさのレンズになるでしょう。大きくて重そうな、そして高そうですが、描写性能にこだわったレンズのようです。
 すでに発売しているD FA★50mmF1.4や、ロードマップにある②のレンズ(たぶんD FA★24mmF1.4)とで、大口径高級単焦点レンズシリーズにするつもりでしょう。
 堂々と参考出品しましたが発売時期は今年は無理で、来年2020年じゅうにはナンとか、という感じです。

The lens name is a tentative name.

The mock-up was exhibited for reference at CP+ 2019. The lens appearance, design and size are not definitive either, but it will probably be a lens of that size. It looks big, heavy and expensive, but it seems to be a lens that focuses on depiction performance.

With the already released D FA★ 50mm F1.4 and the lens #② on the roadmap (possibly D FA★ 24mm F1.4), they intend to make a large-aperture high-quality single-focus lens series.

It made an impressive reference exhibition but it's impossible it will be released this year, it feels like it should be released sometimes in 2020.

5. HD PENTAXーD FA 70-200mm F4

ですが、これも仮称です。焦点距離とF値は決定。
 昨年、2018年のロードマップには発売時期が「2019年春」と明記してあったのに、今年のロードマップでは発売時期が消されていました。そりゃあそうでしょう、2019年春といえば、いま、です。レンズの参考出品どころかモックアップもなし。カゲもカタチもなしです。
 コンパクト軽量が特長だそうで、今年春の発売を期待していたズームレンズだったのですが、いつものように約束を破るのがPENTAXの常ですから、ま、しょうがないか。
 発売時期は期待を込めて今年中、2019年末までには、という感じですが意外と早くなるかも。

This is a tentative name too. Focal length and f-number are decided.

Although the 2018 roadmap clearly stated that the release date would be 'Spring 2019', the release date has disappeared from this year's roadmap. Well, I guess, speaking of spring 2019, it's now. There is neither a lens reference exhibition nor a mock-up. There is neither shadow nor shape.

Its features seem to be compactness and lightness. It's a zoom lens that was expected to be released this spring but, since it's usual for Pentax to break a promise, well, it can't be helped.

It is expected to be released this year, by the end of 2019, but it feels like it might be released unexpectedly earlier.

6. Telephoto Zoom Lens

企画部長の岩崎さんは、何度問い詰めてもハッキリしたことを言いませんでしたが、「D FA 70~300mm」または「D FA 55~300mm」だと思われます。開放F値は不明ですが「F4.5~5.6またはF4.5~6.5」ぐらいでしょうか。
 小型軽量、低価格をコンセプトにした手軽なFA望遠ズームレンズと考えていいでしょう。このテのズームを期待して待っているK-1/K-1 MkIIユーザーも多いはず。
 でも残念ながら発売時期は、再来年の2021年ごろ、かな。可能なら来年じゅうに出して欲しいレンズです。

Mr. Iwasaki, Planning Manager, did not answer clearly when I asked him many times but it seems to be a 'D FA 70-300mm' or a 'D FA 55-300mm'. Although the maximum aperture value is unknown, it should be around f/4.5-5.6 or f/4.5-6.5, shouldn't it?

You can think of it as a handy FA telephoto zoom lens based on the concepts of small size, light weight and low price. There should be many K-1 / K-1 MkII users waiting for this zoom.

But, unfortunately, the release date should be around 2021. If feasible, that's a lens that ought to be released next year.

I would suggest Pentax Forums members whose Japanese and English are far superior to mine (such as @JPT or @kwb) to have a look at my translations and correct/complete them as appropriate.

Last edited by Mistral75; 03-16-2019 at 03:54 AM.
03-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Thank you Mistral, JPT and kwb.

How come PF’s interview results looked so bleak compare to this? Did PF didnt do their homework? I don’t think so.

But these are just roadmap speculations (not official), aren’t they?
03-14-2019, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great insight, I agree that a DFA* 24mm f/1.4 would be a smart choice and definitely needed in the FF lineup more than a 35mm. Lets hope all of these thing dont take too long to get out the door.
03-14-2019, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
2021 will be the year to hear more....

03-14-2019, 07:57 AM - 11 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Thank you Mistral, JPT and kwb.

How come PF’s interview results looked so bleak compare to this? Did PF didnt do their homework? I don’t think so.

But these are just roadmap speculations (not official), aren’t they?
Adam interviewed a different Ricoh representative and presented questions collated from forum members. I wasn't especially impressed with the answers to those questions, but that's not Adam's fault. With respect, it seems a little ungrateful to suggest he didn't do his homework

Anyway, let's stay on the topic of the OP's post, please
03-14-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Great insight, I agree that a DFA* 24mm f/1.4 would be a smart choice and definitely needed in the FF lineup more than a 35mm. Lets hope all of these thing dont take too long to get out the door.
Since pretax went with 28-105 for it's base lens, 24 is absolutely necessary. But the weight savings in ƒ3.5 compared to 1.4, it's discouraging to see that this will be another monster. I guess I should start shopping for an FA 20-35 or FA 20 or 24. Landscape season is coming,.
03-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Since pretax went with 28-105 for it's base lens, 24 is absolutely necessary. But the weight savings in ƒ3.5 compared to 1.4, it's discouraging to see that this will be another monster.
Doesn't have to be - Canon's 24mm F/1.4 L II weighs 650g and takes 77mm filters, while being very good (except vignetting).

03-14-2019, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Doesn't have to be - Canon's 24mm F/1.4 L II weighs 650g and takes 77mm filters, while being very good (except vignetting).
Is that the one that has absolutely killed the lens charts?
03-14-2019, 09:07 AM - 9 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Adam interviewed a different Ricoh representative and presented questions collated from forum members.
It's a minor point, but Adam and Tanaka both interviewed Tetsuya Iwasaki. But Adam wasn't there to conduct four staged interviews for the public like Tanaka was, and because of Tanaka's public profile in Japan, it would be expected that Tanaka would receive more impressive information. Tanaka also has a long history with various people at Ricoh Imaging and has been allowed to preview pre-production lenses and cameras in the past. So, I'm with you, any perceived faults with Adam's interview (and I think wed7 was trying to be ironic, not critical) are not Adam's fault.

I have listened to a great many product managers over the years, mainly from the U.S., but also some from France (when I was working for Michelin) and I find Pentaxforum's interviews with Ricoh representatives to be remarkably respectful (in both directions) and conscientious. In my experience, the greater the volume of information provided, the lower the value of that information. This is pure speculation on my part, but it seems to me that Ricoh's SmartVision division is struggling to strike a balance between Ricoh Company seeing the Pentax brand as a poor candidate for investment, because the industry is so unhealthy, and the splash Pentax could be making if the funding was there to commercialize what is already on the drawing board. I can visualize people like Tetsuya Iwasaki being extremely frustrated by this, but their personal commitment to the Pentax and Ricoh brands (and being in the business of manufacturing products for photographers) is still very strong.
03-14-2019, 09:12 AM - 6 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Yes!

24mm is a delightful focal length on FF -- nicely wide without getting too much UWA distortion. And if it's really sharp at f/1.4 it could be a killer lens for night landscapes and astro.
03-14-2019, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

24 makes a lot more sense to me than the widely speculated 35.
03-14-2019, 09:30 AM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes!

24mm is a delightful focal length on FF -- nicely wide without getting too much UWA distortion. And if it's really sharp at f/1.4 it could be a killer lens for night landscapes and astro.
The Samyang 24/1.4 is great for astro...one of the best options at any price or focal length. If Pentax could hit that with autofocus and waterproofing, I'd buy without hesitation.
03-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For the large aperture wide angle a 28mm ƒ2 works well for both FF and APS-C. 28mm fills a hole for both FF and APS-C. 24mm is to close to the Ultra Wide 20mm.

The pending Ultra Wide and large aperture wide angle should be the first focal lengths Ricoh/Pentax starts to consolidate as lenses for both FF and APS-C.

What are the "FA Limited's" Tanaka has been waiting on? What is Tanaka's wishful thinking concept for these "FA Limited's"?
03-14-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Mistral75.

Waiting 2+ more years for a 16-50 replacement is hard to swallow. I was personally hoping for that sooner but recognize that FF lenses are the priority.

They're in a tough spot trying to address many diverse needs in a shrinking market with little to no investment.

Pentax needs a new sugar-daddy. Tamron, Sigma, the Chinese??
03-14-2019, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

DFA* 24mm F1.4 AW SDM would sound good to me as second lens after DFA* 85mm F1.4. Definitely better than another 35mm.

If only they would speed this up.