Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2019, 01:28 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Call for Moderators and Homepage Writers

As our community continues to grow and evolve, we're looking for additional users to help out with homepage content. The possible areas are listed below:

Homepage Writer

You may contribute one or more of the following:

• blog posts, articles, tutorials, or mini gear reviews on the forum homepage (open to topics of your choice, no time-specific assignments)
  • announcements of deals, site events, etc.
  • editing / proofreading of existing content
  • possibility of free loaner equipment (US only) and paid in-depth reviews
Update as of August, 2020 We are still looking for additional homepage writers on an ongoing basis. We are also looking for two new forum moderators (one is a US timezone and one in a non-US timezone). Moderator applications are currently closed.

Homepage writers are volunteers and are generally unpaid. Homepage writers will receive Site Supporter status after publishing at least one article. In addition, we will soon start hosting regular giveaways (of cameras, lenses, software, etc.) exclusively for our staff members.

If you're interested in joining the team, please send me a PM.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2019, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Adam, I would be usless as a moderator, HAHA big mouth and no patience, Big Mack Cam I think understands me a bit, sorry I cant be more helpful, good luck with your search, kind regards Ian
03-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As our community continues to grow and evolve, we're looking for additional users to help out with forum moderation and homepage content. The key responsibilities of each role are listed below:

Forum Moderator
  • monitor the forum for spam
  • communicate with members to clarify rules and policies
  • enforce rules of the forum
  • respond to user reports & appeals
  • work with the rest of the team to discuss and resolve issues as they arise
  • all moderators are forum-wide (not section-specific)
Both moderators and homepage writers are volunteers and are unpaid. Moderators enjoy automatic Site Supporter perks for the duration of their appointment and all donations are converted to Loyal Site Supporter level. Homepage writers will receive Site Supporter status after publishing at least one article. In addition, we will soon start hosting regular giveaways (of cameras, lenses, software, etc.) exclusively for our staff members.
Do you have a greater need for Eastern Hemisphere moderators than for those in the Western Hemisphere?
03-18-2019, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do you have a greater need for Eastern Hemisphere moderators than for those in the Western Hemisphere?
We seek to cover all parts of the globe as evenly as possible, so we're looking for a few folks everywhere.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to help but I'm too immature for Moderator (I got a Minor warning just this week ), I'd love to do reviews and such and whilst I have some competency in this regard I lack a lot of the technical understanding to do the site justice and keep it's professional status. But I'd love to help if I can.
03-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish I had the time to apply for Moderator. However, I'm a full time Moderator on another site, and it's pretty well, a full time job.
03-21-2019, 10:14 AM - 7 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I tossed my name in the hat. I figure with my track record, I have a great deal of experience with the forum rules, having been banned for breaking most of them at one time or another. Seriously though, this community has been very good to me and for me, and I see this as a way of giving back to it.

03-21-2019, 11:21 AM - 8 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I tossed my name in the hat. I figure with my track record, I have a great deal of experience with the forum rules, having been banned for breaking most of them at one time or another.
That was actually how Hunter S Thompson became sherrif of his town. He argued the guy who'd broken the most laws understood them best.

03-21-2019, 11:48 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That was actually how Hunter S Thompson became sherrif of his town. He argued the guy who'd broken the most laws understood them best.
I find myself in good company then.
Apparently reformed hackers are the best computer security people as well.

---------- Post added 03-21-19 at 12:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'd like to help but I'm too immature for Moderator (I got a Minor warning just this week ), I'd love to do reviews and such and whilst I have some competency in this regard I lack a lot of the technical understanding to do the site justice and keep it's professional status. But I'd love to help if I can.
Honestly, I think user reviews should be less technical than they usually are. A non technical review reaches out to the broadest base. As soon as the geek talk starts, there is a portion of people whose eyes glaze over.
For a review, just tell me how to use it and what it’s good for. Toss in personal impressions and call it a day.
I don’t need to know how to build a piano to know how it sounds or plays.
03-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I find myself in good company then.
Apparently reformed hackers are the best computer security people as well.

---------- Post added 03-21-19 at 12:53 PM ----------

Honestly, I think user reviews should be less technical than they usually are. A non technical review reaches out to the broadest base. As soon as the geek talk starts, there is a portion of people whose eyes glaze over.
For a review, just tell me how to use it and what it’s good for. Toss in personal impressions and call it a day.
I don’t need to know how to build a piano to know how it sounds or plays.
Yeah I can understand that mentality. Before I got into photography I was a reviewer of Mp3 players or 'DAPs' (Digital Audio Players), this was before smartphones really took off and became the logical choice for many as their main portable music playback device. Some of my reviews garnered attention in the 10's of thousands, I think the Sandisk Sport Clip was around 80,000 views on 'www.anythingbutipod' but alas that site and along with it the review is dead
With my reviews I tended to abstain from actually talking about the sound quality, I think a lot of that stuff is placebo (new toy syndrome) and subjective so would instead keep things simple and just talk in depth about features and what could be managed and what was missing. I think from that perspective is what made the reviews quite popular.
I'm not sure I could review a lens very well, but I could actually review a camera, in terms of feature set etc. Or something like my Vanguard Alt Pro 2 tripod etc.
03-21-2019, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As our community continues to grow and evolve, we're looking for additional users to help out with forum moderation and homepage content.
Good news that our community is growing.
Please post if you have any stats yearwise..
03-21-2019, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After consideration... also, after having to have spent some time in the basement.
I would be an "ill fit" to deal with some of the current and the past moderators.
Carry on the good job. Love the site.
03-21-2019, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
After consideration... also, after having to have spent some time in the basement.
I would be an "ill fit" to deal with some of the current and the past moderators.
If you feel there are any issues with past or current moderators, it's worth contacting Adam directly and privately. I'm certain he'll listen with an open mind and take on board constructive views
03-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you feel there are any issues with past or current moderators, it's worth contacting Adam directly and privately. I'm certain he'll listen with an open mind and take on board constructive views
No problems what so ever...
05-06-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'd like to thank everyone who applied to the moderator team, and an happy to announce that four new moderators will be joining us this week. Stay tuned for an official announcement!

With this, we are no longer accepting additional moderator applications for the time being, but we are still open to new homepage writers.

Adam

Closed Thread