Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
My experience as a QA, Service and Field Engineer when using such facilities for manufacturing. From items as small cameras to as large as platesetters that image printing plates for the printing industry. It is amazing that quality that was not acceptable when made in house suddenly becomes acceptable to management when made elsewhere. If the in house facility would have been allowed to drop quality levels they could have made it less expensive too. A real pet peeve of mine.
So you actually have zero information.

03-19-2019, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #32
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Can we just accept that what they said might be the real reason?
03-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #33
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience as a QA, Service and Field Engineer when using such facilities for manufacturing. From items as small cameras to as large as platesetters that image printing plates for the printing industry. It is amazing that quality that was not acceptable when made in house suddenly becomes acceptable to management when made elsewhere. If the in house facility would have been allowed to drop quality levels they could have made it less expensive too. A real pet peeve of mine.
So, your experience is no more relevant than is my experience in the US auto industry, where a bunch of guys were pulled off the assembly line and given files to file down unacceptable burr on parts from out-of-house suppliers - all in an attempt to keep the line as close to schedule as possible.
03-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess that is your take on it. Since I cannot access the e-mails and installation reports from equipment I supported in the 17 years before I retired I cannot offer photos or written proof. Or can I cite the exact dates where the company had to bite a big bullet and bring manufacturing back under it's own roof.

Take away from this what you want. No skin off my back.

03-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Can we just accept that what they said might be the real reason?
Not a chance! Why should we do that.....then the threads would be way too short. Then we would have to make up some other problem and yow yow about that problem.
03-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #36
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess that is your take on it. Since I cannot access the e-mails and installation reports from equipment I supported in the 17 years before I retired I cannot offer photos or written proof. Or can I cite the exact dates where the company had to bite a big bullet and bring manufacturing back under it's own roof.
But those emails would relate only to the company you worked for before you retired. There is no reason to think that Pentax is the same; if Pentax made every part for themselves, they would have to raise enough capital to support all that activity - are you willing to invest the savings your retirement depends on?

QuoteQuote:
Take away from this what you want. No skin off my back.
That is exactly the point. You have no skin in this game.
03-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, Ricoh is in good company. In the IT field where I am right now, Intel has either dropped the ball, or intentionally grounded the ball, where there are no Core-I style CPU's available... coincidentally while they push their revamp of the Xeon line up... which cost more. Stock levels are supposed to return by mid 2019... which is an eternity in this business!!!

Will Intel get their way, or will people go to AMD for low cost alternative... Some people think they may have shot themselves in the foot... And I admit, I do see a lot of business going to AMD right now. But who knows, Intel might be crazy like a fox, because the security features pumped up in the latest gen CPU's, and the onslaught of crypto and ransomware coming this year. Only time will tell. Same goes for Ricoh... only time will tell if they too are hedging their bet's with their production line. If they held product back because they don't want some kind of warranty scandal, or to make sure of some other issue, they obviously put a higher value on whatever it is, than on the flak they are taking for the delay.
Eric
03-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nobody here works for Ricoh and is able to share the exact reason for the delay. If there are any employees here, they're in disguise and would be forbidden from spilling any trade beans.

So obviously everything anybody says is speculation. If you want hard facts, go work for Ricoh. This is teh interweb, not the Ricoh Intranet.

But, there is a difference between not knowing for sure the exact reason...and having zero information. A lot of people here (myself included) work or have worked in businesses that manufacture goods or produce products and are therefore able to give educated guesses based on the known facts. A lot can be gleaned from the exact combination of circumstances that might show parallels with experiences of their own and lead them to be able to offer an opinion on what might have happened.

So...why the snark?

03-19-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, most of us could have guessed how a thread like this might develop... and most of us know that there's no reason for such discussions to be anything other than friendly and entirely respectful, too. So... let's please maintain those standards.

Thanks
03-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #40
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Nobody here works for Ricoh and is able to share the exact reason for the delay. If there are any employees here, they're in disguise and would be forbidden from spilling any trade beans.

So obviously everything anybody says is speculation. If you want hard facts, go work for Ricoh. This is teh interweb, not the Ricoh Intranet.

But, there is a difference between not knowing for sure the exact reason...and having zero information. A lot of people here (myself included) work or have worked in businesses that manufacture goods or produce products and are therefore able to give educated guesses based on the known facts. A lot can be gleaned from the exact combination of circumstances that might show parallels with experiences of their own and lead them to be able to offer an opinion on what might have happened.

So...why the snark?
I don't see this comment as "snarky" at all. Since you seem to have a very positive view of Ricoh, I would expect you to agree with @Kunzite, since this sub-thread began with the incorrect statement
Since they {Ricoh} seem to have no production facilities of their own, they must purchase time slots from other companies
Was my 'made in the Philippines' KP assembled by some other company, or do Pentax labeled cameras get better service from Ricoh's production facilities than Ricoh labeled cameras do?

Last edited by reh321; 03-19-2019 at 04:36 PM.
03-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #41
Pentaxian

So...why the snark?
There is no snark. gaweidert made a completely unsubstantiated claim (not presented as pure speculation!), I merely noticed it for what it is. Twice he confirmed the claim was completely unsubstantiated.
There's nothing more than that.
03-19-2019, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

When a company decide to delay a product, there always a cost to it. Nobody do it for fun and Ricoh believe the reward is bigger than the cost. Great decision by Ricoh.
Let's talk about Boeing 737 Max slipage, this is way more important.....

Last edited by bobmaxja; 03-19-2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling
03-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
When a company decide to delay a product, there always a cost to it. Nobody do it for fun and Ricoh believe the reward is bigger than the cost. Great decision by Ricoh.Let's talk about Boeing 737 Max slipage, this is way more important.....
Don't forget that the thread was started by individuals who have no intention to get any of these camera models... How useful is that!?
03-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How useful or factual is anything in a rumours thread on a fan forum? Not useful or factual at all, obviously.

Was anyone actually expecting well founded inside information??
This is the internet equivalent of a bunch of photographers having a chat over a beer. Getting huffy because they aren't providing independently verifiable facts from personal experience within the Ricoh boardroom is a pointless at best.
03-20-2019, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #45
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

How useful or factual is anything in a rumours thread on a fan forum? Not useful or factual at all, obviously.

Was anyone actually expecting well founded inside information??
This is the internet equivalent of a bunch of photographers having a chat over a beer. Getting huffy because they aren't providing independently verifiable facts from personal experience within the Ricoh boardroom is a pointless at best.
First post in this thread was
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
According to a press release published today on Ricoh Imaging's Japanese website:

コンパクトデジタルカメラ「RICOH WG-6」「RICOH G900」「RICOH G900 安心保証モデル」「RICOH G900SE」、360カメラ「RICOH THETA Z1」発売日変更についてのお知らせ|RICOH IMAGING (which means: 'Information on the release date of the compact digital cameras (...) and 360 camera (...))

Ricoh Theta Z1 and WG-6, previously scheduled for release in late March, as well as Ricoh G900/G900SE, scheduled for release in late May, are delayed.

The official reason for the delay is: 'Because it takes more time for final adjustment to achieve the planned performance' (予定している性能を実現するにあたり、最終調整にさらなる時間を要するため)

No new release date has been decided yet. The cameras are said to be 'coming soon' (近日発売)
A press release on Ricoh Image web-site. They are the ones providing news of the delivery delay and a reason. That is the most official news we are going to get today. news that you, of all people, should respect.