Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
OTOH automation is required for higher volumes, and Pentax just isn't a volume brand...
Perhaps. But if you look at, for example this Sigma lens video, or the Nikon one, below, there's a lot of manual work going on there too. Seems like lens making is hard to automate.

03-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Perhaps. But if you look at, for example this Sigma lens video, or the Nikon one, below, there's a lot of manual work going on there too. Seems like lens making is hard to automate.
The recent Lensrentals test of a stack of 70-200 Canon lenses showed a lot less than typical sample variation.
In fact, it showed the least of any zoom tested.

That part is down near the bottom...
Lens Rentals | Blog

They put that down primarily to the increased use of automation in lens manufacture Canon has implemented.

So while I really like hand assembly for some things, it may be something of a dying art on the lens front... at least for the big-volume lenses.

-Eric
03-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
primarily to the increased use of automation in lens manufacture
One would expect so. In 2009 assembly was certainly still hands-on all the way.

I suspect design improvements could also play a role in assembly simplification.
03-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #64
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m convinced. Since no one seems to want to buy my mint sliver copy I just withdrew it from the Marketplace.
I have assumed that most everyone who wants this lens will already own it by now

---------- Post added 31-03-19 at 03:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That video is inspiring. I have all the Limited primes. My original (very early) copy of the 20-40 was unacceptably weak at the wide end, so I returned it for a refund.

That decision may have to be remedied.
If you get a good copy they are hard to beat. My copy lives on my camera when I am travelling. Talk to Monochrome, he has been trying to sell a very nice copy.

03-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I have assumed that most everyone who wants this lens will already own it by now
It has been $800 everywhere until a couple weeks ago. B&H has it for $500 at the moment. Bad time to be selling.
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
If you get a good copy they are hard to beat. My copy lives on my camera when I am travelling. Talk to Monochrome, he has been trying to sell a very nice copy.
Bear in mind this is a hobby for me, and a part of my enjoyment is using gear. I’m inclined to keep things I like, and also to buy things and sell them later to get new things. It’s just what I do.

I was asking I think $565 including insured shipping and PayPal fees, which would be $530 net to me. I don’t think asking $530 dollars net to me was too rich for my copy but the market clearing level seems to be $400. I won’t sell an $800 lens this good for $400 so I was already contemplating withdrawing it and selling something else.

At this point I have all the HD DA Limiteds, including the 20~40. I still have the SMC DA40. I might keep it for nostalgic reasons since I bought it with my K-01 instead of the SX. I will also keep the SMC version of the DA35/2.8 MACRO. I just bought used copies of the DA*16~50 and 50~135 and have sold the big FF zooms. I’ll consider the 11~18 if I decide to try Astro.

I’ll do my AF shooting with the KP until it dies - I think it is a fabulous camera. I can’t see a reason not to be satisfied with the 20-40 and the DA70 Limited in a small travel bag even though the total volume is probably a bit more than the 21, 40, 70 pancake trio. I’ve traveled with that kit also.

I had a K-3 before I bought the K-1 so I don’t miss the flagship features absent from the KP. By the same token I have the Accelerator on the KP so I didin’t upgrade my K-1 last summer. I’ll use the K-1 with the FA Limiteds and my complete collection of the K series lenses. I can manual focus the K-1 using the OVF. I’ll consider the next flagship FF camera whenever iit is released but I don’t think I need more AF FF lenses (except the DFA*50/1.4) for digital.

It all makes sense to me, anyway.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-30-2019 at 09:48 PM.
03-30-2019, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It all makes sense to me, anyway.
Me too.

I'm keeping the KP and the five DA Limited primes until death or doomsday, whichever comes first. My four DA* lenses are keepers too. And the fisheye zoom. Oh, and the 55-300PLM

On the K-1, the FA Limiteds are not negotiable. I'll keep the 28-105 and 150-450 too, but the other three big zooms are on advisement. 35,50,85/1.4 is another partnership I won't break, but I hope the bookends will be also be DFA* sometime soonish. Everything else is vanity/curiosity.
03-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Me too.

I'm keeping the KP and the five DA Limited primes until death or doomsday, whichever comes first. My four DA* lenses are keepers too. And the fisheye zoom. Oh, and the 55-300PLM

On the K-1, the FA Limiteds are not negotiable. I'll keep the 28-105 and 150-450 too, but the other three big zooms are on advisement. 35,50,85/1.4 is another partnership I won't break, but I hope the bookends will be also be DFA* sometime soonish. Everything else is vanity/curiosity.
I think of these vanity / curiosity lenses as things I have on extended rental. When I sell them, if I get less than I paid, the difference represents the rent.

03-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think of these vanity / curiosity lenses as things I have on extended rental. When I sell them, if I get less than I paid, the difference represents the rent.
Absolutely. And almost invariably, a very cheap rental.
03-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely. And almost invariably, a very cheap rental.
I took a pretty steep haircut on the big zooms, even though I bought them second hand here.

I buy most of my new lenses on flash sales and Black Friday time. I sold an FA77 last winter for more than I paid for it NIB in 2014. Every once in a while I pre-order something I know will be a forever item like the K-1 and the DFA*50/1.4. The K lenses are collector’s prerogative.

The Limiteds (both formats) are users to match the KP and K-1, for the IQ and novelty of their size. AFA the KP (Limited) goes, I feel like I know something many people have missed. I think they expected an APSc flagship, were disappointed and just never considered it. Many other enthusiasts likewise never consider Pentax, which is why the Limiteds Special Site is so welcome.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-30-2019 at 10:04 PM.
03-30-2019, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #70
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Bear in mind this is a hobby for me, and a part of my enjoyment is using gear. I’m inclined to keep things I like, and also to buy things and sell them later to get new things. It’s just what I do.
Also for me, I am sure you can tell by the eclectic range of lenses I own. I also keep the lenses I like and sell the others.
03-31-2019, 01:31 AM - 17 Likes   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Surprise surprise... it's not impossible that Pentax pulls out something that's not in the roadmap.

The video was recorded at Pentax lens factory and the video quality indicated that it wasn't long ago. This indicates that what was told on the forum by some people supposed to know the brand well ("Pentax/Ricoh living off stocks of old batches of limited lenses") was completely wrong. The video shows that the manufacturing is still running and that they are able to produce new copies of the FA limited lenses.
Not still running again running since Ricoh kicked the decision to end the fullframe limiteds.
This line was completely out of production and not available anymore.
Only last badges in Japan and US.
This video is a couple of month old and is made in Vietnam limited section.
Ricoh decision was to return the fullframe limiteds and to renew lenses like the 2.0 35.
Also renew an APS-C lens.
But that's only a small peace of all.
Best regards
03-31-2019, 01:49 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
But that's only a small piece of all.
Oh, you tease
03-31-2019, 02:00 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Best regards
Is it possible to give us further clues about the renew APS-C lens?
03-31-2019, 02:08 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, since when did asahi man have ZERO likes?
I just fixed that
03-31-2019, 02:24 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
OTOH automation is required for higher volumes, and Pentax just isn't a volume brand...
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Machines aren't always better than manpower, especially in places like Vietman where manpower is affordable. You'd be pushed to automate when the labor cost is very high, but much less in Vietnam and China, and it also depends on how much manpower contributes to manufacturing cost. If manufacturing cost is 5% of the product total cost, you'd not be investing R&D money into improving the 5% at the expense of using R&D money for making new products. IMO, all lens makers operate with a mix of machines and manpower.