Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,922
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
And the Minox Mini-ME



Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!


Steve

04-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 141
In response to the Spotmatic D concept...

Beautiful concept. Makes sense too much sense to ever see the light. I'd have bought 2.

Last edited by nzondlo; 04-02-2019 at 04:14 PM.
04-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,922
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
In response to the Spotmatic D concept...

Beautiful concept. Makes sense too much sense to ever see the light. I'd have bought 2.
As noted other comments above, the concept was never a real project and did not originate with Ricoh or Samsung. Still, though, it does look cool.


Steve
04-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #34
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 35
an update to the famous craigslist NEd

04-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #35
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
I'd really like a retro style light weight Pentax camera with AFC at par as the others. But then again that would probably be a KP upgrade as I see it. The trouble is, there are a few of us who like this concept and therefore, it will never be built as the cost of producing it won't be recovered. But, the spotmatic D and the ME-D is a nice concept. I'm just thinking out loud.
04-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #36
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,890
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'd really like a retro style light weight Pentax camera with AFC at par as the others. But then again that would probably be a KP upgrade as I see it. The trouble is, there are a few of us who like this concept and therefore, it will never be built as the cost of producing it won't be recovered. But, the spotmatic D and the ME-D is a nice concept. I'm just thinking out loud.
My KP is so retro that my wife thought it was my truly retro 1983 Super Program when she first saw it - even though it is somewhat larger than the Super Program. But size/weight make top LCD difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make large battery difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make second memory slot difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make larger buffer difficult, so people complain. In fact, many people complain about the size independent of other factors - they want large massive body to 'balance' the lens they are cradling with the left hand - so we will get another retro smallish camera only if Japanese photographers want it.
04-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #37
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iloilo City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My KP is so retro that my wife thought it was my truly retro 1983 Super Program when she first saw it - even though it is somewhat larger than the Super Program. But size/weight make top LCD difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make large battery difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make second memory slot difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make larger buffer difficult, so people complain. In fact, many people complain about the size independent of other factors - they want large massive body to 'balance' the lens they are cradling with the left hand - so we will get another retro smallish camera only if Japanese photographers want it.
My only rant about the KP is I currwntl don't have spare cash to buy 2 units. 1 for my son and 1 for daughter.
04-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #38
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 4,133
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
(...) Size/weight make larger buffer difficult (...)


04-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #39
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 11,621
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm not sure that's what he had in mind, but if e.g. you have space for only 1 memory module and its maximum size is 512MB...
04-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,057
I know this started as an April Fools joke, but there are some serious undertones to some comments. And I am only addressing those.

Every retro styled camera I see of late gets hammered by even the most loyal fans of a given company. If the Nikon DF, and the Pentax KP somewhat chilly receptions are any indication, I think I'd pass on building the ME-D or Spotmatic-D any time soon if I were Ricoh.

What we think is cool and what we REALLY want and will spend our hard earned cash for are usually 2 entirely different things.

I know I'm going to get panned for this... but reading this thread and seeing the quips, along with my reading past threads about the KP, and where is the K-3II successor, etc, I get the sneaky suspicion that no matter what we think is cool, and no matter what we say on a forum, what many here really secretly lust for is a Pentax version of a D500 with Pentax style menus, IBIS, image processing and ergonomics, for 1/2 the price of the D500.

My guess is that in reality, we are going to get something...ummm... well... let's say vastly improved over the K-3II, but still a generation behind the D500 AF, a modestly improved frame rate and continuous shooting capacity over the K-3II, and all the usual Pentax goodness in IQ (which would still make me very happy) and that the price will be more like 3/4ths of the D500 which will still make many scream. Besides, the minute it got leaked that Ricoh would actually make an ME-D instead of the long awaited K-3II successor, there would be a loud and angry mob looking to lynch whomever studied the market and came up with doing the retro idea right now. LOL!
04-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #41
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 141
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Every retro styled camera I see of late gets hammered by even the most loyal fans of a given company. If the Nikon DF, and the Pentax KP somewhat chilly receptions are any indication, I think I'd pass on building the ME-D or Spotmatic-D any time soon if I were Ricoh.
Those sre bad examples. The KP only has a few hints in its shape, ans not a full blown old film body stuffed with modern goodness like the 'Spotmatic Dx mock-up.

Everyone seems to love what Fujifilm has done with their lineup. Not only the design, but with the dials and film simulations as well.



04-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,922
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
what many here really secretly lust for is a Pentax version of a D500 with Pentax style menus, IBIS, image processing and ergonomics, for 1/2 the price of the D500.
Yeah...we want that too. Insatiable, we are!


Steve
04-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #43
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,890
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
Those sre bad examples. The KP only has a few hints in its shape, ans not a full blown old film body stuffed with modern goodness like the 'Spotmatic Dx mock-up.
Maybe, but when my wife saw my silver KP, she thought it was the Super Program that I got in 1983.
05-27-2019, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian
Wasp's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pretoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 974
This thing should be called the Pentax MEH...
05-27-2019, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 4,133
Nice attempt at waking up the News and Rumors section!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax ME-F Black, ME Super Black 35mm Bodies *Read Description* ME F rosettaquarrier Sold Items 2 03-03-2019 02:32 PM
Nature Pick me,Pick me,Pick me. Sqideyes Post Your Photos! 4 12-08-2018 05:44 AM
Can we use Pentax ME back lid on Pentax ME SUPER Arut-luang Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 06-22-2018 02:51 PM
Pentax ME/ME Super/ME F Exposure Compensation soly Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 06-09-2018 09:20 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax ME, ME super, P50, SF7, Z-10, Z-70, and lenses anakhaled Sold Items 2 09-21-2017 05:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top