Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
And the Minox Mini-ME

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Steve

04-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #32

In response to the Spotmatic D concept...

Beautiful concept. Makes sense too much sense to ever see the light. I'd have bought 2.

Last edited by nzondlo; 04-02-2019 at 04:14 PM.
04-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
In response to the Spotmatic D concept...

Beautiful concept. Makes sense too much sense to ever see the light. I'd have bought 2.
As noted other comments above, the concept was never a real project and did not originate with Ricoh or Samsung. Still, though, it does look cool.

Steve
04-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #34

an update to the famous craigslist NEd

04-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd really like a retro style light weight Pentax camera with AFC at par as the others. But then again that would probably be a KP upgrade as I see it. The trouble is, there are a few of us who like this concept and therefore, it will never be built as the cost of producing it won't be recovered. But, the spotmatic D and the ME-D is a nice concept. I'm just thinking out loud.
04-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #36
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'd really like a retro style light weight Pentax camera with AFC at par as the others. But then again that would probably be a KP upgrade as I see it. The trouble is, there are a few of us who like this concept and therefore, it will never be built as the cost of producing it won't be recovered. But, the spotmatic D and the ME-D is a nice concept. I'm just thinking out loud.
My KP is so retro that my wife thought it was my truly retro 1983 Super Program when she first saw it - even though it is somewhat larger than the Super Program. But size/weight make top LCD difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make large battery difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make second memory slot difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make larger buffer difficult, so people complain. In fact, many people complain about the size independent of other factors - they want large massive body to 'balance' the lens they are cradling with the left hand - so we will get another retro smallish camera only if Japanese photographers want it.
04-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My KP is so retro that my wife thought it was my truly retro 1983 Super Program when she first saw it - even though it is somewhat larger than the Super Program. But size/weight make top LCD difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make large battery difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make second memory slot difficult, so people complain. Size/weight make larger buffer difficult, so people complain. In fact, many people complain about the size independent of other factors - they want large massive body to 'balance' the lens they are cradling with the left hand - so we will get another retro smallish camera only if Japanese photographers want it.
My only rant about the KP is I currwntl don't have spare cash to buy 2 units. 1 for my son and 1 for daughter.
04-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
(...) Size/weight make larger buffer difficult (...)

04-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm not sure that's what he had in mind, but if e.g. you have space for only 1 memory module and its maximum size is 512MB...
04-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this started as an April Fools joke, but there are some serious undertones to some comments. And I am only addressing those.

Every retro styled camera I see of late gets hammered by even the most loyal fans of a given company. If the Nikon DF, and the Pentax KP somewhat chilly receptions are any indication, I think I'd pass on building the ME-D or Spotmatic-D any time soon if I were Ricoh.

What we think is cool and what we REALLY want and will spend our hard earned cash for are usually 2 entirely different things.

I know I'm going to get panned for this... but reading this thread and seeing the quips, along with my reading past threads about the KP, and where is the K-3II successor, etc, I get the sneaky suspicion that no matter what we think is cool, and no matter what we say on a forum, what many here really secretly lust for is a Pentax version of a D500 with Pentax style menus, IBIS, image processing and ergonomics, for 1/2 the price of the D500.

My guess is that in reality, we are going to get something...ummm... well... let's say vastly improved over the K-3II, but still a generation behind the D500 AF, a modestly improved frame rate and continuous shooting capacity over the K-3II, and all the usual Pentax goodness in IQ (which would still make me very happy) and that the price will be more like 3/4ths of the D500 which will still make many scream. Besides, the minute it got leaked that Ricoh would actually make an ME-D instead of the long awaited K-3II successor, there would be a loud and angry mob looking to lynch whomever studied the market and came up with doing the retro idea right now. LOL!
04-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Every retro styled camera I see of late gets hammered by even the most loyal fans of a given company. If the Nikon DF, and the Pentax KP somewhat chilly receptions are any indication, I think I'd pass on building the ME-D or Spotmatic-D any time soon if I were Ricoh.
Those sre bad examples. The KP only has a few hints in its shape, ans not a full blown old film body stuffed with modern goodness like the 'Spotmatic Dx mock-up.

Everyone seems to love what Fujifilm has done with their lineup. Not only the design, but with the dials and film simulations as well.

04-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
what many here really secretly lust for is a Pentax version of a D500 with Pentax style menus, IBIS, image processing and ergonomics, for 1/2 the price of the D500.
Yeah...we want that too. Insatiable, we are!

Steve
04-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #43
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
Those sre bad examples. The KP only has a few hints in its shape, ans not a full blown old film body stuffed with modern goodness like the 'Spotmatic Dx mock-up.
Maybe, but when my wife saw my silver KP, she thought it was the Super Program that I got in 1983.
05-27-2019, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

This thing should be called the Pentax MEH...
05-27-2019, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Nice attempt at waking up the News and Rumors section!