Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 195 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The mirrorless feature would change everything regardless of the other specs. simply because mirrorless make a huge difference for taking photographs. Just thinking about everything I could do with a mirrorless feature that there is no way I can do with a DSLR, that's huge.

---------- Post added 19-04-19 at 07:14 ----------

Shutter shock ruined my shots. Last week I've printed a A0 sized print, I couldn't hang it on the wall, I immediately the pixels were not sharp when looking very close. Would be nice that the firmware automatically switch to ES for shutter speeds < 1/100 and > 1/10, like the Fuji GFX50 does.
I know you are being sarcastic, but I really haven't seen issues with shutter shock. Handheld my pictures are fine and when I'm on a tripod, I tend to use pixel shift which automatically uses the electronic shutter. Not sure how much my life would change from a photographic standpoint if I owned a mirrorless camera. OK, I actually know the answer. Not at all.

(In point of fact, I own the K-01 which is mirrorless but doesn't have an electronic shutter).

04-20-2019, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Shutter shock ruined my shots. Last week I've printed a A0 sized print, I couldn't hang it on the wall, I immediately the pixels were not sharp when looking very close. Would be nice that the firmware automatically switch to ES for shutter speeds < 1/100 and > 1/10, like the Fuji GFX50 does.
Around my house an image not pixel sharp would never have made it to the printer. The first thing I do is put the loupe on the critical part of the image. I have many times taken a burst where only one image was in sharp focus, due to hand holding and shaking more than SR could adjust, but I almost always have one completely sharp image. Maybe you just need a longer burst.

As for shutter shock, I check every image, I've never seen it.
04-21-2019, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As for shutter shock, I check every image, I've never seen it.
Very often people complain about shutter shock at focal length / shutter speeds that are also likely to induce motion blur. Separation of concerns (MLU, SR, ES, tripod vs hand held) shows that if there is shutter shock it is much less than belief. Typical shutter shock observation: focal length 105mm , shutter speed 1/100th or 1/50th , or 50mm FL with shutter speed 1/50th, which obviously will contain its share of motion blur.

Currently "working" on a print project, and realized that there is way too much emphasis on camera equipment. Most people will be critical with pixel peeping but will never look at images themselves larger than A2 and never print, which it's ridiculous. Printing at 125 ppi images from a modest D-FA28-105 show how good are the files we get out of our cameras, thinking of the D-FA*50 , I think we are spoiled.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-21-2019 at 12:19 AM.
04-21-2019, 05:20 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Very often people complain about shutter shock at focal length / shutter speeds that are also likely to induce motion blur. Separation of concerns (MLU, SR, ES, tripod vs hand held) shows that if there is shutter shock it is much less than belief. Typical shutter shock observation: focal length 105mm , shutter speed 1/100th or 1/50th , or 50mm FL with shutter speed 1/50th, which obviously will contain its share of motion blur.

Currently "working" on a print project, and realized that there is way too much emphasis on camera equipment. Most people will be critical with pixel peeping but will never look at images themselves larger than A2 and never print, which it's ridiculous. Printing at 125 ppi images from a modest D-FA28-105 show how good are the files we get out of our cameras, thinking of the D-FA*50 , I think we are spoiled.
If I shoot burst of four hand held and I get one, it's not shutter shock. Shutter shock should be repeatable and affect every image. Because I often don't even bother to brace myself I can be pretty sure my missed images are too much camera movement. People should also understand a tripod can vibrate especially a light one. If it does and SR is off, which it almost always is a a tripod....

When I see the Nikon guys, who really do have shutter shock issues, they are using heavy tripods with quite bit of weight on them to stabilize their set up. There are times they had shutter shock issues when I shot hand held, and I still got the better image. Now that's shutter shock.

04-21-2019, 05:55 AM   #110
Veteran Member

I can reproduce my shutter shock issues any time. I shared images before, no point sharing it again, whoever wanted to see them saw them. I see it the worst at 28mm and 1/80, which should be razor sharp even without the Ibis

04-21-2019, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I can reproduce my shutter shock issues any time. I shared images before, no point sharing it again, whoever wanted to see them saw them. I see it the worst at 28mm and 1/80, which should be razor sharp even without the Ibis
One person with one camera doesn't confirm an issue. This is not like the Nikon D800 series shutter shock where everyone had the issue. You've confirmed it can happen, and anything that can happen eventually will.
04-21-2019, 06:01 AM   #112
Veteran Member

One person with one camera doesn't confirm an issue. This is not like the Nikon D800 series shutter shock where everyone had the issue.
I'm not alone on this one, there were others commenting with similar issues norm.

04-21-2019, 06:08 AM   #113
Pentaxian

I'm not alone on this one, there were others commenting with similar issues norm.
And I'm not alone if commenting it's not an issue for me. I'm not willing to see this go all SDM on us, where a few folks with a problem trash the reputation of every SDM lens out there and cause all kinds of anxiety and affect people's lens purchasing decisions for a 1% issue. I had to learn to learn to ignore SDM chatter. Since the uproar started I've bought 3 SDM lenses DA*60-250, DA* 200 2.8, and DA*55 1.4, I've had not one SDM issue. Those lenses total represent over 10 years of SDM use. I'm so glad I ignored that crap. There are still people here on the forum afraid to buy SDM lenses. The SDM complainers didn't do anyone a service. I'm so glad I ignored them. So I'm working with a precedent here.

There is one simple rule here, all things with moving parts eventually fail. They'll fail sooner or they'll fail later, but they are all going to fail. There are more moving parts in a DSLR than there are in car. It's likely that shutter shock image degradation is the product of the failure of some kind in the shutter assembly. Until we learn it's an actual design flaw that affects every camera and every shooter, it's not really a thing. And even then. The Nikon shooters I shoot beside from time to time put weight on their tripods. Nikon never came up with a fix.

You maybe need to start a thread for those experiencing the issue, but please make it about how to deal with the issue, and Nikon users ended up with many resource detailing how to deal with the issue. But let's not go all SDM here. That was in hind sight ridiculous.

Last edited by normhead; 04-21-2019 at 06:22 AM.
04-21-2019, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

And I'm not alone if commenting it's not an issue for me. I'm not willing to see this go all SDM on us, where a few folks with a problem trash the reputation of every SDM lens out there and cause all kinds of anxiety and affect people's lens purchasing decisions for a 1% issue. I had to learn to learn to ignore SDM chatter. Since the uproar started I've bought 3 SDM lenses DA*60-250, DA* 200 2.8, and DA*55 1.4, I've had not one SDM issue. Those lenses total represent over 10 years of SDM use. I'm so glad I ignored that crap. There are still people here on the forum afraid to buy SDM lenses. The SDM complainers didn't do anyone a service. I'm so glad I ignored them. So I'm working with a precedent here.
So please ignore me mentioning the issue. Because I have it, and I have the same rights as you to discuss my issue on this forum.

And I'm not "trashing the system". I keep buying Pentax products and I'm not looking to switch systems. As I already explained, for my main interests it's not a big deal, I shoot on tripod most of the time, with electronic shutter. But just because I can work around it doesn't mean it's not there.

04-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #115
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ah yes

I would love to read all the screaming around here should Ricoh release another update to the K-1 before a new APS-C body
Well that would certainly give a good idea of their REAL direction is ... FULL Frame and Mirrorless. I can see about a year before APS-C device sit next to a Kodiak Box Camera and Argus 35mm View Finder model on a shelf somewhere. Seems inevitable somehow.

I'll still be using my K5IIs because that is where my lenses are and I just sold my SpotMatic II about 2 years ago.
04-21-2019, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #116
Pentaxian

But just because I can work around it doesn't mean it's not there.
We shouldn't make it an obsession, because the obsession makes it look like a huge issue for the Pentax K1. When I compare pixel shift with a single shot, I'm horrified how not sharp is my normal shot from the K1, until I compare with a same image from a Canon 5DIV or EOS R.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-21-2019 at 08:24 AM.
04-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This statement is similar to what folks in the m/43 world were saying a few years ago when shutter-shock became an issue. Eventually Olympus and Panasonic developed technologies to help mitigate the issue.

There are so many variables at play in terms of mechanics and technique and also sensor resolution and high lens acuity that I don't know if shutter-shock can be completely eliminated in the near future, but as human beings capable of learning we should be able to work around it.
04-21-2019, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #118
Pentaxian

So don't take photos using that combination.

{For the past fifty years, I always have viewed myself risking lack of sharpness if I use a shutter speed lower than 1/125}
04-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tper75296 Quote
Well that would certainly give a good idea of their REAL direction is ... FULL Frame and Mirrorless. I can see about a year before APS-C device sit next to a Kodiak Box Camera and Argus 35mm View Finder model on a shelf somewhere. Seems inevitable somehow.
The latest "Top Ten" BCN MILC list shows only one FF camera; regardless of shortcomings of the BCN list, it is way too soon to write-off smaller formts
Small sensors still lead MILC sales in Japan - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by tper75296 Quote
I'll still be using my K5IIs because that is where my lenses are and I just sold my SpotMatic II about 2 years ago.
And existing lenses are will retard any move you {and others of us} make to another format. My heirs will have to dispose of the Super Program I used to take their baby pictures thirty years ago, because I'm certainly not parting with it {and I still use it on occasion}.
04-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So don't take photos using that combination.

{For the past fifty years, I always have viewed myself risking lack of sharpness if I use a shutter speed lower than 1/125}
My range is quite broad though - 1/25 to 1/200. It greatly reduces my options on normal outings, thankfully iso performance is good enough to crank it up and keep it at 1/250.

I basically decided to just get a GRIII and leave K-1 for tripod work.

Again, while I make it work for the most time, it's not ideal to just sweep the topic that is not comfortable under the rug.

---------- Post added 04-21-19 at 01:56 PM ----------

We shouldn't make it an obsession, because the obsession makes it look like a huge issue for the Pentax K1. When I compare pixel shift with a single shot, I'm horrified how not sharp is my normal shot from the K1, until I compare with a same image from a Canon 5DIV or EOS R.
I don't make it an obsession, I only mention it if it comes up, or (like in this thread) I'm asked for a wish list for the next iteration. I've happily shot with k-1 for close to 3 years now.
Closed Thread