Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #121
FS1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not doubting there may be instances of shutter shock with some specific combinations of a 28-105 and a K1. I never expect the old 'reciprocal' rule to apply with a zoom, however. Compared to a 28mm prime, the 28-105 is a relatively long, thin barreled lens... When using zooms, I weigh the longest end (e.g., 105) pretty heavily with regard to 'hand holding' shutter speed expectations.

04-21-2019, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FS1 Quote
Not doubting there may be instances of shutter shock with some specific combinations of a 28-105 and a K1. I never expect the old 'reciprocal' rule to apply with a zoom, however. Compared to a 28mm prime, the 28-105 is a relatively long, thin barreled lens... When using zooms, I weigh the longest end (e.g., 105) pretty heavily with regard to 'hand holding' shutter speed expectations.
Funnily enough images are razor sharp 1/25 to like 1/8, Ibis seems to work way better for lower shutter speeds.

My da 50 also displays those issues.

My 15-30 to a much smaller extent, probably due to it being so heavy.

04-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
My 15-30 to a much smaller extent, probably due to it being so heavy.
I experienced a few blurred shots with the K1 and D-FA28-105 at shutter speeds between 1/30th and 1/100th. Characterization showed that almost all the blur came from the mirror kick when the lens weight itself doesn't damp the system. SR mostly eliminate the mirror-kick motion effect between 1/20 and 1/100+. I wrote the details of my experiment under controlled conditions, results and conclusion in this forum but you did not seem to use my results to solve your problem and you keep complaining. For me this is annoying to read the same things over and over again , especially when the problem were discussed and addressed. It's like the SDM issues of 10 years ago, people keep repeating the same things over and over again even when the newer lenses have completely new AF motor designs, that's annoying.
04-21-2019, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I experienced a few blurred shots with the K1 and D-FA28-105 at shutter speeds between 1/30th and 1/100th. Characterization showed that almost all the blur came from the mirror kick when the lens weight itself doesn't damp the system. SR mostly eliminate the mirror-kick motion effect between 1/20 and 1/100+. I wrote the details of my experiment under controlled conditions, results and conclusion in this forum but you did not seem to use my results to solve your problem and you keep complaining. For me this is annoying to read the same things over and over again , especially when the problem were discussed and addressed. It's like the SDM issues of 10 years ago, people keep repeating the same things over and over again even when the newer lenses have completely new AF motor designs, that's annoying.
I'm sorry I annoy you, I suggest you to add me to your ignore list, I don't particularly enjoy reading your content either, just so we're clear. I don't browse this forum 24/7 so I did miss your post.

04-21-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #125
Pentaxian

Well I've devoted about an hour to this, it's darn hard nailing a 1/160s exposure, I can't find any noticeable shutter shock, images from /15s to 1/200s...
It's just not happening.

I wonder if this is a problem that could be repaired.
04-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well I've devoted about an hour to this, it's darn hard nailing a 1/160s exposure, I can't find any noticeable shutter shock, images from /15s to 1/200s...
It's just not happening.

I wonder if this is a problem that could be repaired.
Wasn't the shutter shock issue only happening to a select number of k1's? I don't ever remembering it happening to the one I had.

04-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The latest "Top Ten" BCN MILC list shows only one FF camera; regardless of shortcomings of the BCN list, it is way too soon to write-off smaller formts
Small sensors still lead MILC sales in Japan - PentaxForums.com
You noticed that "in Japan" part, right? It may be true elsewhere, but this one is about Japan.

04-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Wasn't the shutter shock issue only happening to a select number of k1's? I don't ever remembering it happening to the one I had.
I think it's sample variation. I have not seen signs of it with mine, yet others do seem to have it, and can repeat it. Really wonder if it gets down to manufacturing tolerances and a particular camera having it just right, or should we say just wrong, and you get shutter shock. I think folks should look at what's in their hands, and not try to find a one size fits all answer for this particular issue.
04-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
You noticed that "in Japan" part, right? It may be true elsewhere, but this one is about Japan.
I keep asking questions about Japan, because people keep saying that Pentax is most influenced by trends in the Japanese market.
04-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Again, while I make it work for the most time, it's not ideal to just sweep the topic that is not comfortable under the rug.
You make it work most of the time, and others seem to make it work all of the time. Questioning whether there is a problem here is not "sweeping it under the rug" - it is examining whether your occasional experience is an "outlier".
04-22-2019, 02:15 AM   #131
Pentaxian

There is shutter shock on all cameras using a mechanical shutter, the question is how much we users can tolerate. Currently the only camera that has not shutter shock is the Sony A9 when using its full electronic shutter , but its sensor has 24Mpixels with optical low pass filter that ruin the pixel sharpness on all images regardless of shutter speed (instead of 36 without optical low pass). I was concerned about shutter shock of my K1, until I realized that SR eliminates 80% of the shutter shock effect (floating sensor / vs mechanically fixed shutter), until recently I started a large print and realized the printers aren't big enough. I think spending effort on the content of the image is way more effective than pixel peeping to look for unsharp pixels. I've realized that most people never print, obsess on camera gear , while camera gear participates in less than half of the image creation process.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-22-2019 at 02:24 AM.
04-22-2019, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

Hmmm. I had to do a little research to know what shutter shock meant. i don't even know if I've ever experienced it on the K-5II or the K-3II. So pardon my ignorance but, how do we correct this shutter shock problem?
04-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You make it work most of the time, and others seem to make it work all of the time. Questioning whether there is a problem here is not "sweeping it under the rug" - it is examining whether your occasional experience is an "outlier".
Exactly....it could be rather isolated failure of one of the hundreds if not thousands of parts. For me to consider it repeatable, it would have to be repeatable on every camera, not just a few.
04-22-2019, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
i don't even know if I've ever experienced it on the K-5II or the K-3II
For the K5/K3 series, you couldn't easily quantify the effect of the shutter on sharpness, because electronic shutter did not exist for models prior to the K1. You could compare same images at various shutter speeds... but then camera settings were changed so it was hard to conclude anything. The electronic shutter that allows the absolute maximum possible sharpness for a given lens, now makes people unhappy when they can't use the electronic shutter. It's a matter of expectations.
04-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For the K5/K3 series, you couldn't easily quantify the effect of the shutter on sharpness, because electronic shutter did not exist for models prior to the K1. You could compare same images at various shutter speeds... but then camera settings were changed so it was hard to conclude anything. The electronic shutter that allows the absolute maximum possible sharpness for a given lens, now makes people unhappy when they can't use the electronic shutter. It's a matter of expectations.
I haven't seen shutter shock, so I'm not sure what we are discussing. Has anyone documented using it using Imatest to show there is a loss of resolution? Significant blur should cause loss of resolution.
Closed Thread