Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The update is the complete software. However, in order for the installer to work, you need to rename one of your computer's drives (internal or external SSD, memory stick,... it doesn't matter) to 'S-SW140'. The installer will check that a drive named S-SW140 is attached to the computer, then proceed with the installation.
Awesome! Worked great on a new iMac running OS10.15.3.

Thanks,
Cameron

03-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Thanks for the update!
03-14-2020, 04:46 AM   #33

I Just got 5.8.6.0: DCU5Updater_5.8.6.0
03-14-2020, 04:46 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
[joke]
With a Mac it might even work with a Floppy.
A pity there's no floppy drive anymore...
[/joke]

03-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Since we are discussing the DCU 5.8.6 I had just downloaded and updated my copy when Windows 10 did a March 2020 update!

Now on certain folders the program is crashing, DNG files, anyone else having this problem?

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING This link is for Version 5.8.6
03-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha ha ha...

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
[joke]
With a Mac it might even work with a Floppy.
A pity there's no floppy drive anymore...
[/joke]
[joke]Yeah, we're SO far behind...especially since it was Apple who gave us reliable floppy drives, mice, colour screens, fonts, colour sync and photoshop. Windoze gave us what, again? Oh yeah, green phosphorus displays, DOS, viruses, and the blue screen of death![/joke]

Cheers,
Cameron
Mac user since Windoze 98 Service pack one...
03-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
[joke]Yeah, we're SO far behind...especially since it was Apple who gave us reliable floppy drives, mice, colour screens, fonts, colour sync and photoshop. Windoze gave us what, again? Oh yeah, green phosphorus displays, DOS, viruses, and the blue screen of death![/joke]

Cheers,
Cameron
That was not an "anti Mac" joke (but don't get me started).
Mac though were they only one system (AFAIK) to use motorized floppy drives and actually mount the volume.
In that way it actually allowed to name the floppies in an useful way (which was completely decorative in DOS/Windows world)

03-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That was not an "anti Mac" joke (but don't get me started)....world)
If I could use Linux for everything, I would.. unfortunately there is a whole bunch of software I use that isn't available on Linux: Adobe Framemaker, Adobe Acrobat Pro and other more esoteric products...

Windows 10 isn't quite as bad as previous incarnations, my (company supplied) iPad crashes more frequently these days...

03-23-2020, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote

Cheers,
Cameron
<sense of humour bypass>
Sorry, I'm self-isolating and after my first week I am already bored, otherwise I probably would not have responded. However, despite this being a photography forum, responding gives me something to do, so here goes ...

First, methinks you are a wee bit confused if you are suggesting that Windoze gave us DOS. I'm a decrepit old git and despite my failing memory, I definitely remember using DOS when Bill Gates was still dreaming about Windows (I say dreaming but the reality of the early versions was more of a nightmare). I would also suggest that green phosphorous displays predate Windows, certainly that is what I had on the Apple II that I used around 1980/81. Mind you, I'll definitely agree about BSOD - an absolute pain in the derrière. As for viruses, they do exist on Apple but obviously the bad guys concentrated on the far more popular (in terms on users) OS.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Apple did not give us mice and colour screens, they simply "borrowed" these innovations from the Xerox Alto. Remember me saying I was old? Well, I actually saw an Apple Lisa in use. Ask any user of the early models about the non-reliability of the floppy disk drives.

Personally, I regret that CPM didn't became the de facto OS. Far better than DOS.

</sense of humour bypass>

Huge apologies for going off on a tangent! I'm still trying to get to grips with moving from Windows 7 to Linux. I really, really miss Lightroom so find myself booting up Windows just to use tat (with its brilliant 2 monitor support. ENOUGH BLOODY COMPUTER TALK!!!