Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ofcourse you can slim down the company, but you still need more customers then Olympus and all others have for m4/3th.

Olympus camera line-up is old already. Not many new products over the last years and omd-e-m5 mark ii (and m10-markii) is already from 2015. Pen-f from 2016. So most users have the almost most recent camera in their hands and don't need to spend money.

Wich is (to come back to Pentax) the same issue for Pentax users. If you have a K-70 (2016), a KP (2017) or a K-1 (2016) you got like almost the latest and greatest from the brand.
To be fair to Olympus, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II is now just over 2 years old, OM-D E-M10 Mark III about 18 months old and the OM-D EM-1X has only recently been available.
And they are very capable cameras. However, they have a perception problem with so many full-frame products. The 20mp sensor in the M1ii is nothing to sniff at, but it loses out to the specs number game if bigger is better. I did a trial session with the M1ii, and took my K1 along for the ride. While pixel peeping would easily settle the question in the lowest light situation, I was mighty impressed with how well it did. Plus you can get the very fine 12-100 F4 which makes a great walk around kit.

I resisted. And I still prefer the Pentax interface.

But for serious wild-life photography, the M1X paired with the 300 F4 takes some beating.

I do hope Olympus hangs in for the long run.

05-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Let me guess - lack of investment?
I wouldn't know. As far as I know, Olympus technology is much better and more durable. We had a Pentax before. We never experienced a day where we had 3 scopes all together. When one arrives from repair, another goes in. While our scopes and processor for Olympus 145 which was bought in 2001 are still functional. The only problem is our monitor. I'm thinking that we shouldn't buy a new monitor as the system is too old. But as I said it's still functional.
05-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sharp is a member of the µ4/3 consortium and is developing an 8K camera with a µ4/3 mount and a 32MP sensor with a 16:9 aspect ratio, a prototype of which was showcased at CP+.
Based on some hands-on reports with the prototype, Sharp would benefit from acquiring know-how for auto-focus, IBIS and user controls. And having an in-house supplier of optics would be nice too. If Foxconn wants to sell Sharp video cameras in competition with Panasonic to the not-quite professional market, a better known brand name with a global distribution network might be nice too. This scenario is almost too perfect to be true.
05-14-2019, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Let me guess - lack of investment?
Something to do with "hind sight" I suspect...