Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
For a moment, I thought it was 1989. CP+ 2019 finished more than two months ago, I guess it takes 10 weeks to transcribe the cassette recording of the interview, cut and paste the text and graphics to a copyboard, do the colour separation in the lab and get the printshop to do a first run before anyone sees it in a newstand. It's a pity their stenographer didn't remove all the "yeah, yeah" "mmmm" and "mmm-hmm" bits before sending the transcript to the layout desk, it would have been easier to read and would have saved paper and ink.
Hey whats wrong with journalistic accuracy?

05-15-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

As usual, answers that show that Ricoh has no idea what to do next. Or if they have any ideas, they are secrets. Following Ricoh studies, only known to them, those who bought ML will give up and return to DSLR in two years.The DSLR market will revive in three years. I still like these people are joking. They seem disconnected from user requirements.

---------- Post added 05-15-19 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
1. The 645 line is not "suspended" in the same way as the "Q" is. They will add to the line if they have additions that make sense.
It's once again that they do not understand the market. Given that the competition already has high performing ML MF cameras at lower prices, the Q line would have more buyers than a new expensive 645 DSLR .

Last edited by edri; 05-15-2019 at 09:57 AM.
05-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #18

Sounds like a rather limp official affirmation of what we heard from other interviews.

I'm thinking about getting the GR-iii, however my KP already does better and it's not that large and heavy. I don't use my 654D much any longer since i got my Sigma cameras. The rumored new Pentax APS-C probably has most of my interest.

Also does any one know what's happened to the supply of the New D 50mm f1.4. Every one of my regular stores has run out of stock.
05-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Also does any one know what's happened to the supply of the New D 50mm f1.4. Every one of my regular stores has run out of stock.
It is in stock overhere. Price is down a little to 1079 euro. So there is supply, so maybe someone doesn't wanne stock.....

05-15-2019, 10:44 AM - 4 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

As usual, gear and business centered discussion. Useless criticism from a photographic standpoint. The available Pentax system is very capable; go out take photos with what's available, instead of waiting after new shiny shiny (mirrorless etc) gear full a features that we never use.
. I'm not in hurry to see new Pentax camera models released by Ricoh, especially if it doesn't make a meaningful difference with current available models. Better release less cameras but put more core imaging capability into it, instead of piling up software features. Sony are going in the direction on more software, it's completely the opposite direction of what people would need. I hope Pentax doesn't do the same.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-15-2019 at 10:56 AM.
05-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #21

Fair enough although this particular thread has been rather tame which comes as somewhat of a surprise. I haven't seen any factual software hint by Pentax and the only thing they seem to repeat is the emphasis on image quality, which Pentax already has so take from that what you will. The only gear i recently sold off was Nikon, my K-1's replaced the Nikon and my KP is my edc. There is nothing wrong with having a little curiosity of the future. Just look at the Nikon D760 it's been on the live and dead rumor roller coaster for three years now. It's not stopping D750 users from using their cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
As usual, gear and business centered discussion. Useless criticism from a photographic standpoint. The available Pentax system is very capable; go out take photos with what's available, instead of waiting after new shiny shiny (mirrorless etc) gear full a features that we never use.Useless Camera Features - Mike Browne - YouTube . I'm not in hurry to see new Pentax camera models released by Ricoh, especially if it doesn't make a meaningful difference with current available models. Better release less cameras but put more core imaging capability into it, instead of piling up software features. Sony are going in the direction on more software, it's completely the opposite direction of what people would need. I hope Pentax doesn't do the same.

---------- Post added 05-15-19 at 11:38 AM ----------

Thank you.

Listed at about 1600$ (CAD) here.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is in stock overhere. Price is down a little to 1079 euro. So there is supply, so maybe someone doesn't wanne stock.....
05-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
From an APSc standpoint I feel ….completely Disappointed and Abandoned by Pentax.
There isn't really any sign that Pentax has anything for us in the near future short of a "Discontinued" Sign at the retailers.
The wait is disgustingly LONG Overdue.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Huh??
I feel like we read different articles.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-16-2019 at 06:35 PM.
05-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Just look at the Nikon D760 it's been on the live and dead rumor roller coaster for three years now. It's not stopping D750 users from using their cameras.
For people who are retired , it's a bit of entertaining. But for people fully loaded with work, hanging after possible new camera in the future is a time waster and also doesn't help progress in photography. So the question is, do people buy cameras and discuss in only forums for the sake of owning the best equipment and collecting hardware, or do they discuss about business they aren't in anymore? For, all this is not about photography.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-15-2019 at 12:01 PM.
05-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I did add this interview to the collection:
Pentax interview collection - Pentax interview list - PentaxForums.com
05-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
It's once again that they do not understand the market. Given that the competition already has high performing ML MF cameras at lower prices, the Q line would have more buyers than a new expensive 645 DSLR .
That's the wrong track, from Ricoh's standpoint. The question for them is, which is more likely to make the company money, a new Q or a 645Z successor? The recent history of small-sensor ILC's - the Pentax Q and the Nikon 1 - suggests the answer is not the Q.
05-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As usual, answers that show that Ricoh has no idea what to do next. Or if they have any ideas, they are secrets. Following Ricoh studies, only known to them, those who bought ML will give up and return to DSLR in two years.The DSLR market will revive in three years. I still like these people are joking. They seem disconnected from user requirements.

---------- Post added 05-15-19 at 05:49 PM ----------

I’d bet a dollar RIcoh understands the market very well and are acting accordingly.
05-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

For today it's OK. We are 1-2% Pentax users among the other passionate photographers, we use Pentax not starting today but starting for a few years. The problem is that there are no new users coming up with this Ricoh approach.
05-15-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For today it's OK. We are 1-2% Pentax users among the other passionate photographers, we use Pentax not starting today but starting for a few years. The problem is that there are no new users coming up with this Ricoh approach.
We see new (to Pentax, not just Pentax Forums) users being welcomed here regularly, and we’re just a small cross-section of Pentax users world-wide. I suspect you’re correct with the age profile, though.

I realise the minority role that Pentax cameras play overall, which makes new customers a vital issue, but it’s only a problem if there aren’t enough. Only Ricoh knows if that is so.
05-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Compactness and speed are the main characters of the new APS/C. That is what I noticed from this interview.
05-15-2019, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
Compactness and speed are the main characters of the new APS/C. That is what I noticed from this interview.
I think of it this way (these are of course broad generalizations). Within non-professionals (considering 645 a Professional format) Pentax has three principal user groups:
  • Birders: APSc Flagship features body
    Who will want a faster shutter and likely a smaller camera to carry to shoots, and for whom the APS sensor is a feature rather than a compromise
  • Landscape Shooters and Studio / Art Photographers: FF Flagship features body
    Who might want a smaller camera but would probably prefer the FF sensor and don’t worry about FPS. Image quality matters.
  • General Photographers: APSc Compact Enthusiast Mid-range (KP) and Generalist Mid-range (K-70) features bodies
    Who might likely prefer a smaller system, including the DA, DA* and DA Limited lens series and for whom speed is useful at times
Then of course there is GR Series for the specialty Street Shooters and the WG Waterproof compact outdoor line.

There is a certain elegance to the complimentary lines and the brand identifiers ergonomics, weather sealing, compactness, durability, higher quality construction.

Thinking of myself, in the Birder and Landscape / Studio / Art groups an EVF and Video would be actual detriments and I could take them or leave them as a General Phtographer.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.