Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2019, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
For today it's OK. We are 1-2% Pentax users among the other passionate photographers, we use Pentax not starting today but starting for a few years. The problem is that there are no new users coming up with this Ricoh approach.
And just how do you know this??

05-15-2019, 11:43 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know almost anything about the japanese culture, but having "read" the interviews with the Ricoh/Pentax representatives what I see is that they can talk all day about the new products they have released and they feel proud about and they avoid talking and revealing their future plans. That sounds pretty decent as they understand that talking about what to expect shifts the public and consumers attention (and money) away from current products and also creates commitments for the company without any tangible gains...
05-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
At the headquarter in the cafetaria they have two tables where these teams are still separated, now 7 1/2 years after the take-over........

At least they are busy studying the contracting market.
And are the only camera manufacturer in this market to increase their forecast performance. It's negative for everyone else.

Canon, Nikon and Sony are seemingly being punished for their new products.
05-16-2019, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
they understand that talking about what to expect shifts the public and consumers attention (and money) away from current products and also creates commitments for the company without any tangible gains...
They seem pretty smart.

In many industries it is really one of the worst performances you can do as employee to talk about future products other than "studies" which in 90% of cases naver turn into products.
In the car industry for example announcing a new product is one of the most expensive acts they do, because once the info is out there a) prospects will immediatley hold back their money and wait for the new models and b) the current models will only sell with major discounts. Loosing a handful of disgruntled extreme upgraders is completely irrelevant compared to the vast majority impact.

It is exactly the effect Nikon and Canon feel at the moment with loosing millions as they have announced new models: A irrelevant few nerds jump on the new bandwagon but the majority simply holds back or is only willing to buy heavily discounted.

05-16-2019, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like what they say here. New APS-C and new 645 cameras in the future. The problem that I think most people have is the time line. It's a little like if I tell my kids we are going to the zoo in three weeks, they want to go NOW! In the same way, we feel like we've waited long enough for the particular things we are interested in.

At the same time, with the market the way it is, a conservative approach is probably the way to go. Even Sony is going to have to slow down new releases eventually. Furthermore, the wait speaks to me of more major changes -- a new PRIME engine or whatever they call it and all of the things that will bring to the table. We aren't just looking at a K3 III where they bump frame rate up to 10 fps and add motion correction to pixel shift. There are other things that will bring the cameras forward and make them more competitive -- maybe even improvements in video that a small, but very vocal group of Pentaxians have been looking forward to for a long time.

There are more good things on the way. Ricoh's cameras have sold well and on target and for prices at which they turn a profit and that's what green lights future products.
05-16-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I like what they say here. New APS-C and new 645 cameras in the future. The problem that I think most people have is the time line. It's a little like if I tell my kids we are going to the zoo in three weeks, they want to go NOW! In the same way, we feel like we've waited long enough for the particular things we are interested in.
I feel that Ricoh/Pentax is like me and my fiance. We are engaged, but haven't decided on the wedding date yet. We're more like 'looking into it'.
05-16-2019, 07:32 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
As usual, gear and business centered discussion. Useless criticism from a photographic standpoint. The available Pentax system is very capable; go out take photos with what's available, instead of waiting after new shiny shiny (mirrorless etc) gear full a features that we never use.Useless Camera Features - Mike Browne - YouTube . I'm not in hurry to see new Pentax camera models released by Ricoh, especially if it doesn't make a meaningful difference with current available models. Better release less cameras but put more core imaging capability into it, instead of piling up software features. Sony are going in the direction on more software, it's completely the opposite direction of what people would need. I hope Pentax doesn't do the same.
Actually, there's a perfectly legitimate reason - from a "photographic standpoint" - for Pentax users to feel some anxiety.

There are plenty of K-3 bodies out there that have seen heavy and rugged use. That's what it was designed for. But there is no direct replacement available for those users whose K-3 breaks, either through malfunction or mishap. New K-3/K-3 II's are scarce (at least here in the USA). If my K-3 II died, I would not be satisfied with the KP as a direct replacement. The K-1 is not a direct replacement either, because it is sub-optimal with APS-C lenses. Personally, I would be fine with replacing my K-3 II with a used one, but some people wouldn't be.

05-16-2019, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I feel that Ricoh/Pentax is like me and my fiance. We are engaged, but haven't decided on the wedding date yet. We're more like 'looking into it'.
Be careful when she tells you she is going to study the market......

---------- Post added 16-05-19 at 20:27 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
And are the only camera manufacturer in this market to increase their forecast performance. It's negative for everyone else.
Well look again one year from now what that forecast brought.

If Theta Z1 could really take off......Well that could sell more then the rest combined......but we don't know yet.
05-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
They seem pretty smart.

In many industries it is really one of the worst performances you can do as employee to talk about future products other than "studies" which in 90% of cases naver turn into products.
In the car industry for example announcing a new product is one of the most expensive acts they do, because once the info is out there a) prospects will immediatley hold back their money and wait for the new models and b) the current models will only sell with major discounts. Loosing a handful of disgruntled extreme upgraders is completely irrelevant compared to the vast majority impact.

It is exactly the effect Nikon and Canon feel at the moment with loosing millions as they have announced new models: A irrelevant few nerds jump on the new bandwagon but the majority simply holds back or is only willing to buy heavily discounted.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

At the same time, with the market the way it is, a conservative approach is probably the way to go. Even Sony is going to have to slow down new releases eventually. Furthermore, the wait speaks to me of more major changes -- a new PRIME engine or whatever they call it and all of the things that will bring to the table. We aren't just looking at a K3 III where they bump frame rate up to 10 fps and add motion correction to pixel shift. There are other things that will bring the cameras forward and make them more competitive -- maybe even improvements in video that a small, but very vocal group of Pentaxians have been looking forward to for a long time.

There are more good things on the way. Ricoh's cameras have sold well and on target and for prices at which they turn a profit and that's what green lights future products.
There is sublime irony in the fact that your reasoned post is immediately preceded by beholder3’s, whose Sig Tag quotes your earlier, similar “Are we there yet?” post (that won the Internet for a month).

There is a Plan, but we must be patient while the market sorts itself out.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-16-2019 at 06:41 PM.
05-16-2019, 02:23 PM - 5 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The prospect of new 645 cameras has been emphasised by this interview, which could be very good for the Pentax brand, and by extension good for Pentax users generally, even though most of us will never get to own one of them.

I recently attended a workshop run by one of Australia’s best-known and most successful wildlife and landscape photographers. He mostly shoots with Nikon gear, but also runs some Canon for particular lenses. That latter is important to note, as the latest Pentax lenses are indicating a timely shift in Ricoh’s approach to the premium market. However, after showing us his Nikon and Canon gear, he very fondly drew his 645Z from its case, declaring it his most prized landscape camera. Remarkably, he commented that he’d recently been lent a Hasselblad H1-D and disliked it intensely.

With endorsements like that, indications that Ricoh are developing the 645 line are very encouraging. As I said, most of us here are unlikely to ever own one (never say “never”, though) but its halo is worth having, and I’m sure Ricoh are making a tidy profit from them.
05-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #41
Pentaxian

It was very interesting interview
A. They not follow question or predictable response to moderator
They said only what they want keep typical secret what exactly will be.Moderator questions predictable none friendly
So receive what deserve
At least we can understand what will be time line lot direction in few years
They look very confident with future Pentax
We shall see
I stop read all review outside this forums just waist time band bias
Much better read experience or advice in side forum as first hand experience
Mike
05-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They make jokes...

Steve

(..."enquiry"...????)
05-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Well look again one year from now what that forecast brought.
You know it's already happened, Q1 of this year, Ron?

Mirrorless and DSLR dinosaur collapse cont'd: Nikon profits down -27%, sales -18% - PentaxForums.com
05-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Will be worse if they have production line in China
Thanks for WH
05-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The prospect of new 645 cameras has been emphasised by this interview, which could be very good for the Pentax brand, and by extension good for Pentax users generally, even though most of us will never get to own one of them.

I recently attended a workshop run by one of Australia’s best-known and most successful wildlife and landscape photographers. He mostly shoots with Nikon gear, but also runs some Canon for particular lenses. That latter is important to note, as the latest Pentax lenses are indicating a timely shift in Ricoh’s approach to the premium market. However, after showing us his Nikon and Canon gear, he very fondly drew his 645Z from its case, declaring it his most prized landscape camera. Remarkably, he commented that he’d recently been lent a Hasselblad H1-D and disliked it intensely.

With endorsements like that, indications that Ricoh are developing the 645 line are very encouraging. As I said, most of us here are unlikely to ever own one (never say “never”, though) but its halo is worth having, and I’m sure Ricoh are making a tidy profit from them.
I have a 645 Classic and six manual lenses. If I seriously set about selling unused K-mount gear a used Z is possible. Before you say Ricoh gets nothing out of my purchase, it is likely the seller would be raising funds to buy the new model and possible I would some day buy a new lens if it should be a stellar effort like the Fat Fifty. I would need to practice before it would make sense as more than just another adult toy, but it is possible.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-16-2019 at 06:47 PM.