Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a 645 Classic and six manual lenses. If I seriously set about selling unused K-mount gear a used Z is possible. Before you say Ricoh gets nothing out of my purchase, it is likely the seller would be raising funds to buy the new model and possible I would some day buy a new lens if it should be a stellar effort like the Fat Fifty. I would need to practice before it would make sense as more than just another adult toy, but it is possible.
I didn't realize the purpose of photography was to benefit Ricoh.

05-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I would love to see an updated Q with some of the now usual technology from RP. Accelerator chip (would probably do wonders with a 1/1.7" sensor), 5 axis SR, pixel shift, on sensor phase detection aufocus and all the small software things that are now common but didn't existed when the last Q was released (like clarity, skin tones enhancement, multizone WB...) with a improved blur control using modern algoritmhs as a bonus
Yes please! ...and the 09 Macro, and a 4mm fast pancake prime...
05-17-2019, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If Ricoh doesn't sell gear than the pipeline for new cameras will dry up. The used market only benefits them in the back handed way that Paul described.
05-17-2019, 03:16 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Clear. Digital enjoyed a good growth rate of a decade, and now companies get kicked back because many camera owners are just fine with what they have. I guess , these days it's not so easy to create new products that are worth the upgrade vs previous products because current models are already so good, and larger sensors cost so much more. IMO, MF should get more development R&D, FF should get less investments. Current MF cameras have larger sensors but are performing like 15 years ago in terms of frame rate and AF, so I guess the MF market is under-developed, still too expensive, but it could be different.

05-17-2019, 04:48 AM   #50

I think the new K3 will come in 2019. Last year the customers talk about big surprise in 2019. And he know some Details. But in the begining of the year Fuji, Pansonic and others offer their new gear. So Pentax can not offer Details of the new Cameras. It will be go down in all the News. Pentaxd have to wait for better time for offering. So I will trust in Pentax and in the end of 2019.

Happy Birthday Pentax !
05-17-2019, 05:23 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dicki Quote
So I will trust in Pentax and in the end of 2019
For the 100 years anniversary...
05-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If Ricoh doesn't sell gear than the pipeline for new cameras will dry up. The used market only benefits them in the back handed way that Paul described.
When Ricoh releases the K-3ii replacement, everyone will benefit.
They cannot expect to 'benefit' when some of their best customers feel abandoned because they ran out of product n before product n+1 was even close to ready.
I was laid off by an aerospace company when "we" lost contract after contract {the one that pushed me out the door was won by Boeing} - eventually the company got around to firing the VP over my area.
That is how it works - you need product customers want ..... you benefit company when they benefit you.

05-17-2019, 06:02 AM   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Ricoh forcast starts on april 1th with the new fiscal year. So what happend in jan-march 2019 is less relevant.
05-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good things are coming. GRlll, WG (and Theta) are cash flow. I suppose we don’t know where the Theta cash ends up, but it’s good for Imaging wherever it goes.
05-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #55
Pentaxian

That is how it works - you need product customers want ..... you benefit company when they benefit you.
The money is limited, project compete for budget, only products with superior profits outlook at made. So it's not what customer want, it's what investors want. As a customer you can't fire the CEO, but as a majority investor you can. So usually the CEO does what the investors want, no what customers want. Now if you are an employee, man you are last in the food chain, you execute and shut up., this is how it works.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-17-2019 at 07:29 AM.
05-17-2019, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The Ricoh forcast starts on april 1th with the new fiscal year. So what happend in jan-march 2019 is less relevant.
You don't have to speculate, Ron, you don't have to guess.

We can all see the results from the last quarter of different companies' strategies.

There are terrified boards everywhere.
05-17-2019, 08:41 AM - 5 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Clear. Digital enjoyed a good growth rate of a decade, and now companies get kicked back because many camera owners are just fine with what they have. I guess , these days it's not so easy to create new products that are worth the upgrade vs previous products because current models are already so good, and larger sensors cost so much more. IMO, MF should get more development R&D, FF should get less investments. Current MF cameras have larger sensors but are performing like 15 years ago in terms of frame rate and AF, so I guess the MF market is under-developed, still too expensive, but it could be different.
Basic physics and basic biology are always going to create a broad Goldilocks curve in photography with cameras that are too big, too small, and just right.

Optical and semiconductor physics dictates that MF will always be bigger, slower, and more expensive than FF, APS-C, or M43.

Human biology dictates that different customers will prefer different-sized cameras due to hand size, upper body strength, arthritis, or just abhorrence for schlepping too much junk on their travels.

People with big hands, fat wallets, and slow-moving subjects will gravitate to larger formats. People with smaller hands, smaller budgets, and flighty subjects will gravitate to smaller formats.

The MF and M43 ends of the spectrum will always be niches.

Last edited by photoptimist; 05-17-2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typos
05-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a 645 Classic and six manual lenses. If I seriously set about selling unused K-mount gear a used Z is possible. Before you say Ricoh gets nothing out of my purchase, it is likely the seller would be raising funds to buy the new model and possible I would some day buy a new lens if it should be a stellar effort like the Fat Fifty. I would need to practice before it would make sense as more than just another adult toy, but it is possible.
I have often thought that, when people here have expressed similar views. I’m fairly sure all makers’ marketing people understand that, too. It would be interesting to know what data they have on it.
05-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I’m fairly sure all makers’ marketing people understand that, too. It would be interesting to know what data they have on it.
It would be interesting, but I can't think of a practical way to mine for that data. How do you guessgauge the probability that sellers of used gear will use their proceeds to buy new gear of the same brand, instead of buying more used equipment, buying new equipment of a different brand or to get their outboard motor fixed?
05-17-2019, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Basic physics and basic biology are always going to create a broad Goldilocks curve in photography with cameras that are too big, too small, and just right.

Optical and semiconductor physics dictates that MF will always be bigger, slower, and more expensive than FF, APS-C, or M43.

Human biology dictates that different customers will prefer different-sized cameras due to hand size, upper body strength, arthritis, or just abhorrence for schlepping too much junk on their travels.

People with big hands, fat wallets, and slow-moving subjects will gravitate to larger formats. People with smaller hands, smaller budgets, and flighty subjects will gravitate to smaller formats.

The MF and M43 ends of the spectrum will always be niches.
Wow, this post is chock full of assumptions, My friend!