Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
It does beg the question as to who will be the first forum member to purchase one.
I can't say I'll be the first, but I'll get one as soon as I can buy it as a body-only package. And my masculinity will be fine, thanks ;P

10-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I can't say I'll be the first, but I'll get one as soon as I can buy it as a body-only package. And my masculinity will be fine, thanks ;P
Will you be getting the blinged out version?
10-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This coming year (Christmas season) and 2009 is supposed to be the migration of more point-and-shoot photographers to DSLR. I think that Pentax's direction is adequate. They cannot produce a Pro-Model like the Canon EOS 1D MKIII (If Canon keep enlarging the camera's name, they are going to run out of room on the body!) or the Nilon D3 at this time, but they can capture the people upgrading to DSLRs. Statistically, a small percentage of Pro cameras are sold each year. Statistically, this will be the biggest migration from P&S to DSLR.

I think it's brilliant.

It has nothing to do with gender. It has everything to do with niche marketing.
10-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
This coming year (Christmas season) and 2009 is supposed to be the migration of more point-and-shoot photographers to DSLR. I think that Pentax's direction is adequate. They cannot produce a Pro-Model like the Canon EOS 1D MKIII (If Canon keep enlarging the camera's name, they are going to run out of room on the body!) or the Nilon D3 at this time, but they can capture the people upgrading to DSLRs. Statistically, a small percentage of Pro cameras are sold each year. Statistically, this will be the biggest migration from P&S to DSLR.

I think it's brilliant.

Im with you on this.
And the "Nilon D3" is so appropriate

10-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO Nikon should keep a low Mpix FF (D3) and a higherMpix FF (D3x).

It would please both those looking for resolution as well as those looking for outstanding high Iso shooting. Let's the difference being the sensor (and shooting buffer/shooting speed probably as a consequence of the bigger data to move and process).

If they dio that Canon will suffer big time !
10-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #21

Canon's Rebels are a girl's thing too....doesn't seems Canon management really have any complaint
10-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Will you be getting the blinged out version?
Since I prefer to be inconspicuous, I'll take as little bling as possible. The little Pentax with a DA Limited prime on it should make a nice, discreet package. I'll let the guy who's been lugging around his big full-frame Nikon and humongous zoom have all the attention ;P

10-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #23
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What in the bleeping bleep do you mean by girly camera? Let's see. I'm a girl. I love my K10D. So are you saying I need to stop shooting sports and stuff and get a girly camera and shoot girly things? I know the vast majority of forum members and photo, er, geeks, are male but there are some of us "girlies" on here too and some of us take exception to the use of girly to make disparaging comments about a camera.

rant mode off.
10-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I think they're just saying it might be more appealing particularly to girls who are not more serious about their photography than a P&S but not wanting a bigger camera like the K10D. Sure, it's a sweeping generalization, but there are examples of this. I know plenty of girls (mostly Asian) who have DSLRs but wouldn't want to be weighed down by anything bigger than the XTi.
10-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
What in the bleeping bleep do you mean by girly camera? Let's see. I'm a girl. I love my K10D. So are you saying I need to stop shooting sports and stuff and get a girly camera and shoot girly things? I know the vast majority of forum members and photo, er, geeks, are male but there are some of us "girlies" on here too and some of us take exception to the use of girly to make disparaging comments about a camera.

rant mode off.
Don't sweat it, it's just male insecurity. Men often have issues with ... the size of things
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #26
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Don't sweat it, it's just male insecurity. Men often have issues with ... the size of things
LOL!!!!!
10-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster

rant mode off.
Just a question based on this reporter's comment about "aimed specifically at women....", since nowwhere in the Pentax press releases or advertising says so. I was wondering where did this guy got that as a fact.

Ane yes, we do care about size of things, 'cause everyone tell us size doesn't matter but we know its a lie...

Robert B
10-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #28
Damn Brit

rant mode off.
You're funny Mel, I like the way you jump to defend women, very commendable.
I think you jumped a bit quickly this time though, I'm sure it was the attached crystals that prompted the 'girly camera' statement.
10-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Just a question based on this reporter's comment about "aimed specifically at women....", since nowwhere in the Pentax press releases or advertising says so. I was wondering where did this guy got that as a fact.
I don't have time to provide a translation at the moment, but if you look here it is blindingly obvious that it is being aimed at women....specifically young mothers....in Japan.
10-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #30
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You're funny Mel, I like the way you jump to defend women, very commendable.
I think you jumped a bit quickly this time though, I'm sure it was the attached crystals that prompted the 'girly camera' statement.
Maybe, maybe not. You cannot deny that when you guys call something girly you mean it as a cut.

You're just jealous cuz we're better. Neener neener