Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2019, 11:20 PM   #46
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In the past I suggested that Ricoh could make a camera with dual VF: one OVF in the center, and one EVF in the corner, so that the user can use both eyes, some kind of stereo VF. The user wouldn't even have the change the view finder, he would be able to switch between the two different view finder tech with the blink of an eye.
Looking with two eyes seems a bit impractical to me.

A switchable vf would be nice. Basically a OVF where the screen of the EVF could slide in if the user wants to switch. IDK if that is technically feasable. Might make the hump really big and look awkward. But it could be a good solution on the way to a true hybrid vf.

Or „just“ a click-on EVF next to the OVF.

06-01-2019, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

You folks are discussing ways to compromise the camera in order to include something I do not want

There can be no EVF-next-to-OVF; nor sliding mechanism or other such things that would almost double the size of the pentaprism housing.
The solution would have to be much simpler. Perhaps as simple as sticking a display system to the pentaprism.
06-01-2019, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You folks are discussing ways to compromise the camera in order to include something I do not want

There can be no EVF-next-to-OVF; nor sliding mechanism or other such things that would almost double the size of the pentaprism housing.
The solution would have to be much simpler. Perhaps as simple as sticking a display system to the pentaprism.
Well, I think the whole point is how can Pentax do something to make their next cameras stand out. If they could do some type of hybrid OVF/EVF or could put some type of module in the auto focus system that would do eye auto focus, that certainly would help. Some of the ideas on this thread are clearly not feasible.

That said, I would hesitate to make too much of a big deal about the viewfinder. I just don't think most photographers focus that much on that and buy more based on other features that they think they will need (price/megapixels/frame rate/video) and the viewfinder is more of an afterthought. The only people who think about viewfinders a lot are the faithful posters on Forums like this one.
06-01-2019, 03:13 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Right; a hybrid viewfinder is far from the first thing I'd improve on Pentax DSLRs. For me - I don't care at all about video - it's just a gimmick; at best it might prove somewhat useful.
IMO it's only pushed so much because of the EVF hype, rather than a real need.

Performance, including autofocus, is. Better tracking, more AF points covering a larger area, more decisive target lock and sensitive AF-C.

06-01-2019, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right; a hybrid viewfinder is far from the first thing I'd improve on Pentax DSLRs. For me - I don't care at all about video - it's just a gimmick; at best it might prove somewhat useful.
IMO it's only pushed so much because of the EVF hype, rather than a real need.

Performance, including autofocus, is. Better tracking, more AF points covering a larger area, more decisive target lock and sensitive AF-C.
Hopefully they are working on all those things and more. Pentax needs to improve all areas, even video. The hope is to have a camera that fits more photographers and that means that there will be features that some of us won't use to increase broader sales.
06-01-2019, 03:46 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Oh, I'm fine with improvements on video - even if I'm not using it; if I was using it then perhaps I'd be pushing for EVF/hybrid viewfinder.
06-01-2019, 04:01 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Hopefully they are working on all those things and more. Pentax needs to improve all areas, even video.
I guess never generations of camera will generally work faster, that's the trend we have seen with camera models of the past.

06-01-2019, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

At least the tiny GR III can write to the SD card at an average rate of over 60MB/sec.
06-01-2019, 04:55 AM   #54
Pentaxian

At least the tiny GR III can write to the SD card at an average rate of over 60MB/sec.
The internal memory of the GR is a genius idea, all cameras should have that.
06-01-2019, 05:01 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Too bad it can't be used in parallel with the SD card.
Write RAWs to the larger SD card, JPEGs to the internal memory - and you'd have something if the SD fails. In a camera with a single SD slot.
06-06-2019, 12:56 AM   #56

Can someone explain to me why is it technically impossible to do a MILC-like hybrid AF system by sending the part of the light that goes to the AF module onto the main sensor instead?
06-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Part of the light that goes to the AF module, that would be complicated. All of it though, it's even simpler than the current double mirror arrangement.
So removing the dedicated AF module, and using the main imaging sensor for AF (and metering, why not?) while keeping the optical viewfinder is simpler. I'm not sure how well it would work in low light though; a stop disadvantage compared to a MILC design?
06-06-2019, 01:20 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Can someone explain to me why is it technically impossible to do a MILC-like hybrid AF system by sending the part of the light that goes to the AF module onto the main sensor instead?
That would be perfectly possible with a semi-transparent mirror as in the Sony SLT and Canon Pellix cameras.

The difference with a conventional SLR would be that the entirety of the mirror would have to be semi-transparent whereas the sub-mirror / secondary mirror of a conventional SLR only occupies part of the image area.

Source of the illustration above: Autofocus
06-06-2019, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The internal memory of the GR is a genius idea, all cameras should have that.
At one time, internal memory was common in all consumer-grade cameras.
06-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
At one time, internal memory was common in all consumer-grade cameras.
At one time, internal memory was all you had... for consumer or pro cameras...

I’m not a great fan as it generally requires a cord to get images off the camera, so it messes up my workflow...

But it’s handy for a camera with only a single card slot...

-Eric