Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2019, 06:30 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
the overall network they operate in is changing all the time so lastyears model won't work on the new upgraded networks..ie 3g - 4g etc.
I don't think that is correct. My 4G phone will work just fine on a 3g network. And all of the new 5g phones will work on a 4g or 3g network.

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
One of my daughters-in-law asked me if there was a camera that automatically sent pictures to Facebook as they were snapped. I didn’t have an answer but I had a question. Why would you want that?
My sister-in-law does that. I don't know how but her Facebook is a continuous stream of every picture she takes on her cell phone. 50 - 100 every day. At least it was before I blocked her..................

05-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:

My sister-in-law does that. I don't know how but her Facebook is a continuous stream of every picture she takes on her cell phone. 50 - 100 every day. At least it was before I blocked her..................
I’m not on Facebook and have deliberately minimized my online footprint for years until very recently with flickr and instagram accounts at the urging of my best friend, a social media marketing guru. My bestie has 10,000 followers across her social media platforms and is always having to feed content to them through her Facebook LIVEcasts and Instagram feeds. As a courtesy I started following her on Instagram, since she follows me, and it amazed me how much informational stuff she posts on behalf of her social justice causes and in self-promotion. She has become a local “brand” and does make things happen but it’s more work and exposure than I’d care to experience.
05-31-2019, 09:56 AM   #18
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't think that is correct. My 4G phone will work just fine on a 3g network. And all of the new 5g phones will work on a 4g or 3g network.

Can you use your 3g phone on 5g ?
If not there inliies the problem
05-31-2019, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The more we ask of add one, the heavier and the bigger the camera becomes. More parts to be installed.
Funny that you mentioned that...I had a 5 day trip to wine country (Napa, Sonoma, St. Helena, CA, etc.) and I traveled with my Pentax KP as it is the most advanced small camera I have (the K-S2 and K-5ii are lighter but not as advanced). As I was the only person walking around with a DSLR in sight, I was dogged by inquiries of "You must be a pro, will you take a few snaps of my family--"what do charge". This went on ad nauseum until at the 5th vineyard, I simply stated, I am not a professional, I am simply serious about my photography and that camera phone you're toting simply doesn't cut it for me. I realized the last comment was a bit aggressive and demeaning, but in 2019, if you carry around a DSLR and a small camera bag (A Domke 6 in this case with a 70 LTD and a 55-200mm zoom to compliment the 20-40mm Limited on the KP), you're a pro.

Honestly, Photos are instant gratification now and humans are like water at times: unless dedicated to the medium, they will flow down to the lowest point. Thus, I have no pretentions that I am happy to be part of the 2% solution who enjoys the depth of the quality photo as well as the machinations and thought into framing the scene.

I certainly don't expect future FF camera bodies to be much heavier than the K-1, but carbon weather proof casing may be cost prohibitive in an ever shrinking market.

05-31-2019, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Welcome to the world of rapidly maturing technology. Smartphones plateaued last year...
^^^^
This

I'm sure the press will go to great lengths extrapolating all sorts of theories about how smart devices are too expensive, too complicated,
too dumbed down, not meeting photographic needs, whatever and etc. But smart devices, like digital cameras now, and computers
before that, are now mature and robust to the point where a new device can easily serve for many years. My 4yr old iPhone6 is still
going strong, as is my 5yr old MacBook Pro and 5yr old K3.

Slumping phone sales is not indication of a paradigm shift but a reflection of the fact that we are spoilt for choice.
05-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

A 3G phone does not need to be able to operate on a 5G network because the networks are independent of each other.

Network operators don't decommission previous generations of the networks until at least 10 years after the next generation comes out. For example, 3G was introduced in 1998 but all countries supported 2G until 2010 and some countries/carriers still offer 2G service today. 4G came out in 2008 but as far as I can tell, no country has decommissioned their 3G networks.
05-31-2019, 11:29 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

P.S. There really isn't competition between smartphones and "real cameras" except in the most superficial way. A smartphone can replace a "real camera" the same way a sedan can replace a tractor-trailer truck. Sure, 98-99% of the people are satisfied with hauling themselves and their stuff in a sedan. A sedan and smartphone really are good enough for most. But the 1-2% of the population who are pros and enthusiasts are not satisfies with the most popular option and never will be.
Example: Yesterday I took a photo of the label of a spoiled bottle of wine from a case lot (to attach to a refund request). I used my phone.

I also took photos of the local Robin chicks in the nest. I used my KP / FA*300/4.5.

05-31-2019, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Does this mean Canon or Nikon will eventually move Apple off the #1 spot in flickr?
Flickr: Camera Finder

Not likely, all those phones still take pictures.
If you were happy with your phones pictures before, that's not going to change for many people.

Since the release of the GRiii Ricoh, (K-1, K-3, GR) has moved past Google and Motorola up into the 9 spot, while Pentax (K-5, K-50, K-30 is still in the #12 spot.

The next to fall in the rise of Pentax will be Panasonic. Olympus still has a pretty good lead in 7th place. In fact include Pentax numbers in the Ricoh numbers and they are probably already past Panasonic.
05-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If not therein lies the problem
No you can't, but you can still use it on the same 3g that existed when you purchased your 3g-capable phone. I wouldn't expect to take advantage of improved network performance without paying for it by purchasing a newer phone.
05-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #25
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
No you can't, but you can still use it on the same 3g that existed when you purchased your 3g-capable phone. I wouldn't expect to take advantage of improved network performance without paying for it by purchasing a newer phone.
Hi Isimpkins

Thats a bit like saying your car is old so you cannot drive on the new freeway

Dave
05-31-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Hi Isimpkins

Thats a bit like saying your car is old so you cannot drive on the new freeway

Dave
My 2000 Kia Sportage is like that. It can't stay with the traffic flow on 400 series highway,s but with it's 4 wheel drive etc it's a great bush buggy. Even with cars, they do what you bought them for. If you want something else later, you have to buy something else later. The goal is quit wanting something else later.

Tell me what you need and I'll tell you how to live without it.

Last edited by normhead; 06-01-2019 at 05:14 AM.
05-31-2019, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #27
dbs
Pentaxian

I can live without a mobile phone,I do have one but it sits on the table and knows how to stay there unlike the ones glued to peoples ears I see everywhere, Well actually standing there looking like they are reading a book.
I know technology changes / advances but need to buy some smart a@@ phone everyyear is just stupid...I'm old I don't give a...on all the "new" baloney.

Dave
05-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #28
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cellular systems are usually backward compatable for at least two (2) generations maybe more.

And since there are no 5G networks functioning today, your point is moot. (I have a Motorola phone that will take a 5G add on "Mod" so for me it is still moot. The announced 5G networks are in two (2) cities in the US) Besides, the Russians are telling everyone that 5G will cause cancer, so we will be safe for a few more months/years.
05-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #29
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Cellular systems are usually backward compatable for at least two (2) generations maybe more.

And since there are no 5G networks functioning today, your point is moot. (I have a Motorola phone that will take a 5G add on "Mod" so for me it is still moot. The announced 5G networks are in two (2) cities in the US) Besides, the Russians are telling everyone that 5G will cause cancer, so we will be safe for a few more months/years.
Backward compatable is fine its the otherway without having to buy the latest and greatest I detest
05-31-2019, 03:49 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you use your 3g phone on 5g ?If not there inliies the problem
Sorry I don't understand the problem. 3g phones still work just fine. No you don't get 5g speed but that isn't the point. If you are happy with your 3g then you don't need 4g or 5g so there is no problem. Where I live we have 4g (sometimes) and 3g (sometimes) and sometimes we drop to 1x. Doesn't matter, the phone switches as needed. And I doubt I will live long enough to see 5g installed here.