Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2019, 06:07 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
I can live without a mobile phone,I do have one but it sits on the table and knows how to stay there unlike the ones glued to peoples ears I see everywhere, Well actually standing there looking like they are reading a book.
I know technology changes / advances but need to buy some smart a@@ phone everyyear is just stupid...I'm old I don't give a...on all the "new" baloney.

Dave
My friends give them to me when they're done. My current model, an iPhone6 was given to me by my friend Chris when she upgraded.

05-31-2019, 06:55 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can live without a mobile phone,I do have one but it sits on the table and knows how to stay there unlike the ones glued to peoples ears I see everywhere, Well actually standing there looking like they are reading a book.
I know technology changes / advances but need to buy some smart a@@ phone everyyear is just stupid...I'm old I don't give a...on all the "new" baloney.

Dave
Atta Boy, Dave!!
05-31-2019, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #33
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The only problem as I see it is the " keeping up with the Jones's " syndrome

Technology changes are faster so your phone appertently is obsolete and its only a year old.
I have a phone for work only not interested in living on it

Dave
05-31-2019, 08:21 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only problem as I see it is the " keeping up with the Jones's " syndrome

Technology changes are faster so your phone appertently is obsolete and its only a year old.
I have a phone for work only not interested in living on it

Dave
Dave you just described Nikon and Canon too....putting out models of dubious improvement just too say that they have a "whole new lineup" for 20--(fill in the year as it is no different than the annual Apple announcements of incremental improvements and little substantive changes to simply sell more units.
I applaud Pentax/RICOH for resisting this temptation (though the K-1 to the K-1 ii is likewise incremental in development, so.....who knows)

Last edited by Merv-O; 05-31-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typos
06-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Backward compatable is fine its the otherway without having to buy the latest and greatest I detest
Let me see, did manual transmission cars suddenly become able to shift automatically once such transmissions became dominant in the marketplace? No, you had to buy a new vehicle to obtain one (or do a costly swap). And, I have and enjoy both.

---------- Post added 06-01-19 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My friends give them to me when they're done. My current model, an iPhone6 was given to me by my friend Chris when she upgraded.
You have nice friends. I haven't been that lucky, but I only upgrade when something on my existing phone fails.

But as far as cameras go, I upgrade when new capabilities present enhanced picture taking opportunities - manual to auto focus as I aged, K10D to K-3 for resolution, low light capability, noise, etc. It will be interesting to see if the next APSc flagship offers compelling reasons to upgrade (everyone decides for themselves).
06-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
You have nice friends. I haven't been that lucky, but I only upgrade when something on my existing phone fails.
They look at my old phone and say "Why re you using that old thing, here I have an old one you can have." They seem to care a lot more about me having a phone than I do. weird

My last three have all been hand me downs.

And they've all been much better than what I would have bought if I had bought a new were bought new. even though they were at lest three years old at the time. My iPhone 6 is looking like it might last me for years.
06-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Of course you wrote this "tongue in cheek" because research has shown that new cell phones are slumping because of the marketing and retailing scheme has changed along with an economic resistance to pay $1000+ for a smart phone. Most carriers are no longer subsidizing high end phones and consumers with a iPhone 8 for example, are resistant to replace this subsidized model for a full price model that offers in essence very little more than their existing model.

I therefore, agree with you that the technology is presently plateaued (or temporarily peaked) just as DSLRs are at or approaching their zenith. Nonetheless, small refinements in dedicated equipment tend to yield long-term benefits.

Food for thought regardless....
I suspect this is a country centric response. In admittedly small market Canada, the business model surrounding cell phone marketing remains unchanged. I expect it is the same in most of the world.

---------- Post added 06-01-19 at 09:21 AM ----------

Hi Isimpkins

Thats a bit like saying your car is old so you cannot drive on the new freeway

Dave
That is just about the wrongest thing I have ever read.
Sometimes car comparisons just don’t work. This is one of those times.

---------- Post added 06-01-19 at 09:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Cellular systems are usually backward compatable for at least two (2) generations maybe more.

And since there are no 5G networks functioning today, your point is moot. (I have a Motorola phone that will take a 5G add on "Mod" so for me it is still moot. The announced 5G networks are in two (2) cities in the US) Besides, the Russians are telling everyone that 5G will cause cancer, so we will be safe for a few more months/years.
More likely, your carriers will hold off until they can buy the components they need from less expensive suppliers than Erickson. Right now, 5G is effectively dead in the water due to some national paranoias.

06-11-2019, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
5G is something of a chimera, as things stand. We hear a lot of hyperbole about how it’s a “game-changer” (what isn’t?) and how it will kill all other internet technologies. As it occupies a higher frequency-band than its predecessors, it is shorter-range for the same power input and will require more and closer-spaced cell towers and/or higher-power transmissions.

I suspect that, being a radio broadcast technology, speeds will slow noticeably as more people latch onto it and start using HD/4k/whatever video in their mobile or home/office devices. Another case of the tragedy of the commons, or success sowing the seed of failure (pop eating itself, maybe)? Beats me, but it will most likely set off another feeding frenzy for new mobile devices, particularly amongst those who like to accuse their forebears of wasting the planet.
06-11-2019, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
As it occupies a higher frequency-band than its predecessors, it is shorter-range for the same power input and will require more and closer-spaced cell towers and/or higher-power transmissions.
Which sounds like it will be a dud for users [like me] outside of metro areas, where low frequencies like 700 MHz 4G Band 28 deliver the best results for long distance, and 3G 850 MHz has worked well too for a long time.

I read the spread of 5G is like inviting everyone to 'live inside a microwave oven'. Probably more than a germ of truth to that.

But many metro areas are already pretty saturated with 4G base stations + dense nets of residential WiFi and other radio transmission sources, so to an extent we are already there. And now we will also soon have thousands of Elon Musk's low-altitude broadband satellites pumping RF signals down on all of us to worry about.
06-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My iPhone and 6+ runs on 4G ATT just fine - all the connectivity I need is nearly instantaneous. I have it set to download files and update apps only on WiFi.

And the phone is pretty good too.
06-11-2019, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And now we will also soon have thousands of Elon Musk's low-altitude broadband satellites pumping RF signals down on all of us to worry about.
And falling out of orbit and landing in the middle of our picnics!
06-11-2019, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
And falling out of orbit and landing in the middle of our picnics!
That will be Amazon’s delivery drones.
06-11-2019, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Camera manufacturers should just use computational photography that smartphones use an a bit more connectivity with smartphones.
06-12-2019, 02:58 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Camera manufacturers should just use computational photography that smartphones use an a bit more connectivity with smartphones.
I think they are trying to. A lot of new cameras are wifi capable and can transfer files fairly easily to your phone. The issue is that the size of files means that you are best converting them to 2 star jpegs before you transfer them to save time.

When you say computational photography, do you mean things like dynamic pixel shift, where the camera takes four photos and then combines them in camera to reduce noise and increase sharpness? Because camera makers are doing that as well, but they don't have the processing power that a phone has and they are dealing with much larger RAW images and the end result is that it takes more time to do these sorts of things. Or are you talking about fixing lens distortion and vignetting in camera? Either way, I'm not totally clear that any of those things will move the dial much with respect to camera sales.
06-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It means only one thing:PentaxIsDooomed™
That doesn't work out, because an already doomed company can't be double doomed or doom squared