Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 11,621
We were told they won't make an anniversary model - as in, an old in new clothes (this isn't the KP J, by the way). Instead, the anniversary will be more about the future, than the past.
Just a few months to go.

06-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,038
Nice for my morning entertainment....
I don't even hope for "earth shattering news" in my morning entertainment.
06-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,377
I'm not a fan at all of the wooden grips; they look bulky and out of place. Also the plastic cover seems just something that would remain in a bag or drawer, for me.
06-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian
zmohie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: egypt
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 413
"J" for Japanese market only?!

06-13-2019, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,349
QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
I see why someone likes this camera for its new grip, but bloody hell: what is that prism plastic cover for? Complete bollocks.
It kind of reminds me of those massively tall "adjustable" rear spoilers that a few kids put on their FWD automatic Honda Civic to get the "required" down force to keep their little FWD Civic on the road once they hit that 150MPH (241KPH) speed that they think their Civic can reach. In other words, it's useless. Hahaha!

Hopefully the K-3II replacement is not that far off...
06-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,038
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
It kind of reminds me of those massively tall "adjustable" rear spoilers that a few kids put on their FWD automatic Honda Civic to get the "required" down force to keep their little FWD Civic on the road once they hit that 150MPH (241KPH) speed that they think their Civic can reach. In other words, it's useless. Hahaha!

Hopefully the K-3II replacement is not that far off...
This couldn't have required much attention from the design team.
06-13-2019, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #22
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,598
Original Poster
They aren't charging a huge premium for this really. You are forced to buy from Ricoh direct, which makes it more expensive but gives you some real benefits from doing that.

- The cost is 148,500 yen, before you count the 13% store points you'll get back, so it then comes to 129,195 yen (with 19,000 yen's worth you have to spend at Ricoh within a year).
- Then you consider that by buying direct from Ricoh you get a 3-year warranty, where you'd only get 1 year from other stores.

So the premium they are asking for a custom made product, with a different paint job and higher quality materials is not that much really. It helps that it's a great camera in the first place.

Having had a good look at these at CP+, I thought the mount was the best thing about them. The coloring and grip are really a matter of preference, but the wooden grips were very well finished. The cover over the prism is something I'd just leave off.

By the way, they did say clearly that this isn't meant to be a 100-year anniversary model. They have been quite clear on the website and in interviews that the actual anniversary is not until November. Something tells me they won't be able to resist a 100-year commemorative model of something fin November but it's also around the time we might start to hear something about the D500 class camera or the telephoto zooms. A new 645 is possible too. I think there's more to come from the Pentax brand by the end of this year.
06-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,038
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
They aren't charging a huge premium for this really. You are forced to buy from Ricoh direct, which makes it more expensive but gives you some real benefits from doing that.

- The cost is 148,500 yen, before you count the 13% store points you'll get back, so it then comes to 129,195 yen (with 19,000 yen's worth you have to spend at Ricoh within a year).
- Then you consider that by buying direct from Ricoh you get a 3-year warranty, where you'd only get 1 year from other stores.

So the premium they are asking for a custom made product, with a different paint job and higher quality materials is not that much really. It helps that it's a great camera in the first place.

Having had a good look at these at CP+, I thought the mount was the best thing about them. The coloring and grip are really a matter of preference, but the wooden grips were very well finished. The cover over the prism is something I'd just leave off.

By the way, they did say clearly that this isn't meant to be a 100-year anniversary model. They have been quite clear on the website and in interviews that the actual anniversary is not until November. Something tells me they won't be able to resist a 100-year commemorative model of something fin November but it's also around the time we might start to hear something about the D500 class camera or the telephoto zooms. A new 645 is possible too. I think there's more to come from the Pentax brand by the end of this year.
According to some on the site, everything that could happen happened on Jan.1. But that's only because they don't understand how long a year is.

06-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #24
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,006
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
"J" for Japanese market only?!
That was my first thought but "J" is for J Limited, the company that designed the customization.

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I hardly can speak in english (spanish is my mother language) japanese is out of my reach.... for those who can understand, those parts can be purchased to "mod" the Pentax KP (for a KP already owned it), or only purchase the kit "camera+mods" trough their store?
Since the website and video refer to this as a "factory customization" I doubt the parts will be sold separately. Besides, all or most of the stencils (e.g. KP logo) on the body are in gold so you would have to replace the body shell as well as the buttons.

Since "The camera is designed by (and aimed at) "the 1%" of photographers who appreciate the character and nuance of such a unique product."* I wouldn't expect many positive reactions to the design or concept. Personally I like it quite a bit and if I had the disposable income to afford an every day body and a "collectible" I wouldn't mind owning one of these.

* https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-kp-j-limited-announced.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-13-2019 at 08:17 AM.
06-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,038
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That was my first thought but "J" is for J Limited, the company that designed the customization.



Since the website and video refer to this as a "factory customization" I doubt the parts will be sold separately. Besides, all or most of the stencils (e.g. KP logo) on the body are in gold so you would have to replace the body shell as well as the buttons.

Since "The camera is designed by (and aimed at) "the 1%" of photographers who appreciate the character and nuance of such a unique product. I wouldn't expect many positive reactions to the design or concept. Personally I like it quite a bit and if I had the disposable income to afford an every day body and a "collectible" I wouldn't mind owning one of these.
Given the quality of my FA-J 18-35, I thought J was code for "cheap."
06-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #26
Pentaxian
Belnan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 592
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Given the quality of my FA-J 18-35, I thought J was code for "cheap."
This certainly isn't cheap.
06-13-2019, 08:35 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,038
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
This certainly isn't cheap.
Reminds me of Bette Middler at the Oscars a while ago.

She came out in a sequin dress with her boobs pushed up out the top... she said
"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap."
06-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #28
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 167
Well I must say though -- in my personal Led Zeppelin's 50th Anniversary versus Pentax's 100th -- Pentax is clearly winning. Just the 11-18, 35 redo, GR III and this sure beats a book and a signed surfboard.
06-13-2019, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,464
The KP has a "screw-in" grip, you could screw-in a Pentax 6x7 handle / rig, and show-off.
06-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #30
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,868
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Looks fun.

But I hope this K-P body modding effort cost the company very little cash, and didn't distract the talented Pentax/Ricoh engineers from more substantial work.
This was developed entirely by another company; all Pentax has to do is produce it and then share some extra cash with the other company.

As @JPT reported from CP+
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
KP Custom Model
So far the coverage of this seems completely to have missed the point. These two guys are proposing the idea of a kind of a sub-brand offering bespoke customisation. The KP they are showing is just an illustration of this idea. They’ve even made up a logo for the brand. They are experimenting with the kind of tweaks and tuning that car/bike enthusiasts do to soup up their machines. They realize these will never be mass produced as mainstream cameras, but they are trying to gauge interest. That KP in his hand has a cool replacement mount made of some shiny grey carbon material. It was quite interesting. They were very keen to speak English to me, and seemed to love the fact I was still using a K-01.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
kp, pdaf, pentax, pentax kp, pentax news, pentax rumors, released, sensor, sensors, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Special edition/costum built KP MMVIII Pentax KP 36 02-20-2018 10:45 AM
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-04-2018 09:43 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax MZ-3 Special Edition and Normal Silver Edition w/ Accessories frank Sold Items 2 11-22-2012 10:06 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Series (Silver from Limited Edition K5) Stevizzy Sold Items 10 09-02-2012 01:50 PM
Pentax K-5 silver special edition an exclusive limited-edition camera package Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 26 03-12-2012 08:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top