Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

We were told they won't make an anniversary model - as in, an old in new clothes (this isn't the KP J, by the way). Instead, the anniversary will be more about the future, than the past.
Just a few months to go.

06-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice for my morning entertainment....
I don't even hope for "earth shattering news" in my morning entertainment.
06-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a fan at all of the wooden grips; they look bulky and out of place. Also the plastic cover seems just something that would remain in a bag or drawer, for me.
06-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

"J" for Japanese market only?!

06-13-2019, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
I see why someone likes this camera for its new grip, but bloody hell: what is that prism plastic cover for? Complete bollocks.
It kind of reminds me of those massively tall "adjustable" rear spoilers that a few kids put on their FWD automatic Honda Civic to get the "required" down force to keep their little FWD Civic on the road once they hit that 150MPH (241KPH) speed that they think their Civic can reach. In other words, it's useless. Hahaha!

Hopefully the K-3II replacement is not that far off...
06-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
It kind of reminds me of those massively tall "adjustable" rear spoilers that a few kids put on their FWD automatic Honda Civic to get the "required" down force to keep their little FWD Civic on the road once they hit that 150MPH (241KPH) speed that they think their Civic can reach. In other words, it's useless. Hahaha!

Hopefully the K-3II replacement is not that far off...
This couldn't have required much attention from the design team.
06-13-2019, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
They aren't charging a huge premium for this really. You are forced to buy from Ricoh direct, which makes it more expensive but gives you some real benefits from doing that.

- The cost is 148,500 yen, before you count the 13% store points you'll get back, so it then comes to 129,195 yen (with 19,000 yen's worth you have to spend at Ricoh within a year).
- Then you consider that by buying direct from Ricoh you get a 3-year warranty, where you'd only get 1 year from other stores.

So the premium they are asking for a custom made product, with a different paint job and higher quality materials is not that much really. It helps that it's a great camera in the first place.

Having had a good look at these at CP+, I thought the mount was the best thing about them. The coloring and grip are really a matter of preference, but the wooden grips were very well finished. The cover over the prism is something I'd just leave off.

By the way, they did say clearly that this isn't meant to be a 100-year anniversary model. They have been quite clear on the website and in interviews that the actual anniversary is not until November. Something tells me they won't be able to resist a 100-year commemorative model of something fin November but it's also around the time we might start to hear something about the D500 class camera or the telephoto zooms. A new 645 is possible too. I think there's more to come from the Pentax brand by the end of this year.
06-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
They aren't charging a huge premium for this really. You are forced to buy from Ricoh direct, which makes it more expensive but gives you some real benefits from doing that.

- The cost is 148,500 yen, before you count the 13% store points you'll get back, so it then comes to 129,195 yen (with 19,000 yen's worth you have to spend at Ricoh within a year).
- Then you consider that by buying direct from Ricoh you get a 3-year warranty, where you'd only get 1 year from other stores.

So the premium they are asking for a custom made product, with a different paint job and higher quality materials is not that much really. It helps that it's a great camera in the first place.

Having had a good look at these at CP+, I thought the mount was the best thing about them. The coloring and grip are really a matter of preference, but the wooden grips were very well finished. The cover over the prism is something I'd just leave off.

By the way, they did say clearly that this isn't meant to be a 100-year anniversary model. They have been quite clear on the website and in interviews that the actual anniversary is not until November. Something tells me they won't be able to resist a 100-year commemorative model of something fin November but it's also around the time we might start to hear something about the D500 class camera or the telephoto zooms. A new 645 is possible too. I think there's more to come from the Pentax brand by the end of this year.
According to some on the site, everything that could happen happened on Jan.1. But that's only because they don't understand how long a year is.

06-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
"J" for Japanese market only?!
That was my first thought but "J" is for J Limited, the company that designed the customization.

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I hardly can speak in english (spanish is my mother language) japanese is out of my reach.... for those who can understand, those parts can be purchased to "mod" the Pentax KP (for a KP already owned it), or only purchase the kit "camera+mods" trough their store?
Since the website and video refer to this as a "factory customization" I doubt the parts will be sold separately. Besides, all or most of the stencils (e.g. KP logo) on the body are in gold so you would have to replace the body shell as well as the buttons.

Since "The camera is designed by (and aimed at) "the 1%" of photographers who appreciate the character and nuance of such a unique product."* I wouldn't expect many positive reactions to the design or concept. Personally I like it quite a bit and if I had the disposable income to afford an every day body and a "collectible" I wouldn't mind owning one of these.

* https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-kp-j-limited-announced.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-13-2019 at 08:17 AM.
06-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That was my first thought but "J" is for J Limited, the company that designed the customization.

Since the website and video refer to this as a "factory customization" I doubt the parts will be sold separately. Besides, all or most of the stencils (e.g. KP logo) on the body are in gold so you would have to replace the body shell as well as the buttons.

Since "The camera is designed by (and aimed at) "the 1%" of photographers who appreciate the character and nuance of such a unique product. I wouldn't expect many positive reactions to the design or concept. Personally I like it quite a bit and if I had the disposable income to afford an every day body and a "collectible" I wouldn't mind owning one of these.
Given the quality of my FA-J 18-35, I thought J was code for "cheap."
06-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Given the quality of my FA-J 18-35, I thought J was code for "cheap."
This certainly isn't cheap.
06-13-2019, 08:35 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
This certainly isn't cheap.
Reminds me of Bette Middler at the Oscars a while ago.

She came out in a sequin dress with her boobs pushed up out the top... she said
"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap."
06-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #28

Well I must say though -- in my personal Led Zeppelin's 50th Anniversary versus Pentax's 100th -- Pentax is clearly winning. Just the 11-18, 35 redo, GR III and this sure beats a book and a signed surfboard.
06-13-2019, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP has a "screw-in" grip, you could screw-in a Pentax 6x7 handle / rig, and show-off.
06-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #30
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Looks fun.

But I hope this K-P body modding effort cost the company very little cash, and didn't distract the talented Pentax/Ricoh engineers from more substantial work.
This was developed entirely by another company; all Pentax has to do is produce it and then share some extra cash with the other company.

As @JPT reported from CP+
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
KP Custom Model
So far the coverage of this seems completely to have missed the point. These two guys are proposing the idea of a kind of a sub-brand offering bespoke customisation. The KP they are showing is just an illustration of this idea. They’ve even made up a logo for the brand. They are experimenting with the kind of tweaks and tuning that car/bike enthusiasts do to soup up their machines. They realize these will never be mass produced as mainstream cameras, but they are trying to gauge interest. That KP in his hand has a cool replacement mount made of some shiny grey carbon material. It was quite interesting. They were very keen to speak English to me, and seemed to love the fact I was still using a K-01.