Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2019, 09:27 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax KP J Limited edition released

I know it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

The customized versions of the KP shown at CP+ have been formally released.

The main changes are:
- New paint job (body color nd button markings)
- mount made of new carbon material
- wooden grip
- strange plastic cover over the prism (removable)
- bigger eye cup
- metal hot shoe cover
- presets from a well-known landscape photographer include as a default for one of the user modes

It’s actually a higher degree of customization than the usual limited models.

The Pentax page for it is here, explaining the concept.
PENTAX KP J limited / ??????????? / ?? | RICOH IMAGING

Another detailed report with a lot of images is here. You see how it looks without the prism cover.
???????? PENTAX KP J limited ???????????? - ??????????by????????

It’s not clear whether this will be available internationally.

06-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #2

It appears that the cover on the pentaprism box may not allow one to mount certain lenses (55-300 PLM and 150-450 come to mind).
06-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I hardly can speak in english (spanish is my mother language) japanese is out of my reach.... for those who can understand, those parts can be purchased to "mod" the Pentax KP (for a KP already owned it), or only purchase the kit "camera+mods" trough their store?
06-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
only purchase the kit "camera+mods" trough their store?
Complete camera kit I suppose, the grip is customer but also the KP model name and case paint are custom.
Only in Japanese, it must be really limited then.

06-12-2019, 11:09 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Nice, but I'm waiting for the K-3II replacement.
06-12-2019, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I hardly can speak in english (spanish is my mother language) japanese is out of my reach.... for those who can understand, those parts can be purchased to "mod" the Pentax KP (for a KP already owned it), or only purchase the kit "camera+mods" trough their store?
It's a complete kit. We've summarized everything there is to know about this release here:

Pentax KP J Limited Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-13-2019, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #7

I see why someone likes this camera for its new grip, but bloody hell: what is that prism plastic cover for? Complete bollocks.

06-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
I see why someone likes this camera for its new grip, but bloody hell: what is that prism plastic cover for?
Design? To make it look more like the K-30?
06-13-2019, 01:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see why someone likes this camera for its new grip, but bloody hell: what is that prism plastic cover for? Complete bollocks.
It does have a precedent in Raymond Loewy's "streamlined" trains, as far as styling goes. The fact that the trains turned out to be noticeably heavier than their more functionally-styled origins didn't seem to get in the way of their general appreciation.

I don't mind the pentagonal styling, but I wish there was more substance to it.
06-13-2019, 02:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm sorta the opposite, I can see how they could have managed to get a greater divergence between the flash and the optical axis (longer flash arm sticking up further), which could be useful (not saying that's what they've done, but they 'could' have).

As for the grip, that is exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do - It looks nice and all, but I personally find the large grip awkward due to the way it tapers sharply in towards the top - for me personally it places all of the grip at the bottom of my hand and not the top where my fingers are stronger (most other cameras which have a flare in the grip, have it at the top against the middle finger, not under the little and ring fingers like this).

From the perspective of owning one of these, having used it a lot since it came out, and really liking it, I genuinely don't understand what this adds to the original design.

Last edited by sqrrl; 06-13-2019 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling
06-13-2019, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Looks fun.

But I hope this K-P body modding effort cost the company very little cash, and didn't distract the talented Pentax/Ricoh engineers from more substantial work.
06-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax "Boy Racer"

This customization reminds me of the Asian penchant for modifications to sporty automobiles and sports motorcycles dubbed "Boy Racer" mostly cosmetics with a touch of engine and suspension modifications. It should sell well in Japan. I want the real race car!

It looks as if the pop up flash will be functional rather than having to remove the cover as was shown earlier. Over all it would be distinctive in a crowd.

Ooops........ I read where the flash cover is not functional it has to be removed. Something else to lose?

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-13-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: correction
06-13-2019, 06:02 AM   #13

It looks ugly as sin, but if Ricoh makes a few extra bucks from collectors on this, than that's fine by me. At least it's not as ugly as a certain Lenny Kravitz special edition camera.
06-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

As I commented in a separate thread, Japan has a reputation of being a land of collectors, of people who purchase a "Silver K-1" to put it in a display of other special cameras. I really doubt if anyone who spends the extra Yen for one of these would be out in the woods photographing Japanese squirrels or anything else that would risk losing one of the pricey parts, nor would s/he ever have any other occasion for mounting anything other than a "Limited" lens on it.
06-13-2019, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seems like a pretty easy way for Ricoh to have done *something* with Pentax this year. I hope that's not what they had in mind for the 100 Years of Asahi or whatever they were calling it.

My fear is that this is it for 2019. I'm usually not pessimistic like this about Pentax but I could really see this being all we see new for the year.