Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It does have a precedent in Raymond Loewy's "streamlined" trains, as far as styling goes. The fact that the trains turned out to be noticeably heavier than their more functionally-styled origins didn't seem to get in the way of their general appreciation.

I don't mind the pentagonal styling, but I wish there was more substance to it.
I have googled those trains. You certainly have a point here.

06-13-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #32
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It’s probably only momentary, but it’s #1 on the Yodobashi Camera DSLR bestseller list.

????.com - ???????? ???????????????

So this confirms a couple of things:
- This kind of product does have a market of some kind
- The KP J is not only on sale through Ricoh direct

Another thing I noticed while looking down that list is that Pentax is doing a lot better relative to other DSLR brands (Canon, Nikon) than in the past. I’m not saying that Pentax sales are increasing, because the whole category must be in decline. But if there is a collapse in DSLR sales, it’s with the brands that have plotted a clear strategy away from DSLRs.
06-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Seems like a pretty easy way for Ricoh to have done *something* with Pentax this year. I hope that's not what they had in mind for the 100 Years of Asahi or whatever they were calling it.

My fear is that this is it for 2019. I'm usually not pessimistic like this about Pentax but I could really see this being all we see new for the year.
I'm sure they will announce a couple new products towards the end of the year in tandem with its official 100yr bday, but I don't think it'll have a release date before Christmas
06-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I'm sure they will announce a couple new products towards the end of the year in tandem with its official 100yr bday, but I don't think it'll have a release date before Christmas
I think they’ll announce a new camera platform and several lenses - some of which we aren’t hearing about - in late August for release around the 100th Anniversary (and in time for the Holiday shopping season.

06-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think they’ll announce a new camera platform and several lenses - some of which we aren’t hearing about - in late August for release around the 100th Anniversary (and in time for the Holiday shopping season.
A new platform, even? You are ambitious. What are you speculating? FF mirrorless or something completely off the beaten path.

I think that highly unlikely, despite Pentax' penchant for doing the unexpected. They're WAY overdue for the FF flagship and 645
replacement. I expect an announcement on the K-3 successor and perhaps something not yet hinted at, (weather sealed
DA Limiteds? Return of the Q?).

A whole new platform would be quite a surprise indeed, albeit counter to everything Ricoh has hinted at, (limited resources, commitment
to the DSLR platforms, etc.).
06-13-2019, 10:51 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gimme a full frame rangefinder K-02 with IBIS, the low light abilties of the KP, and some kind of new school 24mm f2.8 prime. That's 100 years on top.
06-13-2019, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

The KP customer is like chips, grilled peanuts and beer before the main meal.

06-14-2019, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #38
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Gimme a full frame rangefinder K-02 with IBIS, the low light abilties of the KP, and some kind of new school 24mm f2.8 prime. That's 100 years on top.
Sounds like you need a GR III. Seems to tick most of your boxes.
06-14-2019, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The KP customer is like chips, grilled peanuts and beer before the main meal.
Appetizer
06-14-2019, 01:38 AM   #40
Pentaxian

A bit silly this.
06-14-2019, 01:44 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit off topic - or original topic, anyay - but what do we reckon the the 26Mp sensor rumour ?

Ricoh/Pentax rumored to be buying 26MP APS-C sensors for a new DSLR camera - Pentax Rumors
06-14-2019, 01:50 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
A bit off topic - or original topic, anyay - but what do we reckon the the 26Mp sensor rumour ?

Ricoh/Pentax rumored to be buying 26MP APS-C sensors for a new DSLR camera - Pentax Rumors
It's clearly a mirrorless sensor and considering that the GR3 came out very recently, I don't think we'll see it in Pentax cameras any time soon. Probably never.
06-14-2019, 02:48 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
It's clearly a mirrorless sensor and considering that the GR3 came out very recently, I don't think we'll see it in Pentax cameras any time soon. Probably never.
I don't think this sensor is mirrorless exclusive, or that Sony will be making dedicated dslr sensors for just Pentax and Nikon. One size fits all. Maybe you pay less when you don't use on sensor pdaf because you don't have to license Sony patents for it.
06-14-2019, 02:56 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Doesn't the KP have PDAF points on the sensor that it uses in live view mode?
06-14-2019, 02:59 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't think this sensor is mirrorless exclusive, or that Sony will be making dedicated dslr sensors for just Pentax and Nikon. One size fits all. Maybe you pay less when you don't use on sensor pdaf because you don't have to license Sony patents for it.
As far as I'm aware that's not quite how it works. $ony does manufacture sensors for other companies but as far as I'm aware they do so based on the specifications provided by the client.
I'd expect to see this sensor in a new $ony a6X00 series camera.

---------- Post added 06-14-19 at 03:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Doesn't the KP have PDAF points on the sensor that it uses in live view mode?
The specs on the Ricoh's website have no mention of PDAF in LiveView, contrast detection only.