Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 03:07 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not offer the grip and cover as an “Anniversary Kit” for existing KP owners or even just a series of custom grips for a limited time outside of Japan. Tap into the entire KP audience.

06-14-2019, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
As far as I'm aware that's not quite how it works. $ony does manufacture sensors for other companies but as far as I'm aware they do so based on the specifications provided by the client.
I'd expect to see this sensor in a new $ony a6X00 series camera.
They do custom jobs for one customer as well as sell of the shelf. The D850 has a sensor that was made to Nikon specifications just like the D5 and D500. D750/610 and D7500/5600/3500 use of the shelf sensors. Fuji already uses the imx-571 but with there x-trans filter on it.
06-14-2019, 03:16 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As far as I'm aware that's not quite how it works. $ony does manufacture sensors for other companies but as far as I'm aware they do so based on the specifications provided by the client.
I'd expect to see this sensor in a new $ony a6X00 series camera.

---------- Post added 06-14-19 at 03:05 AM ----------

The specs on the Ricoh's website have no mention of PDAF in LiveView, contrast detection only.
I believe that they are actually only used during video auto focus. (see this review page: Pentax KP Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews )
06-14-2019, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Appetizer
Kp J limited is a kind of aperitif. I hope the "bistecca alla fiorentina" / T-bone steak, comes later this year.

06-14-2019, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

(...)
Not exactly.

Sony Semiconductor Solutions manufacture and sell to third parties:

- off-the-shelf sensors such as the 26MP IMX571, which is used by Fujifilm for their X-T3 and X-T30, and medium format sensors
- customised sensors based on off-the-shelf products
- specifically designed sensors, based on client's specifications
- jointly developed sensors including Sony's IP and client's IP
- sensors designed by client.

Some sensors designed by Sony Semiconductor Solutions have never made it into third-party cameras, such as the high-sensitivity 12MP sensor in Alpha 7S / 7S II and the high-resolution 42MP sensor in Alpha 7R II / 7R III.
06-14-2019, 04:23 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Yep, that's like an "open bar manufacturing" as soon as you pay for it
06-14-2019, 05:36 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
A new platform, even? You are ambitious. What are you speculating? FF mirrorless or something completely off the beaten path.

I think that highly unlikely, despite Pentax' penchant for doing the unexpected. They're WAY overdue for the FF flagship and 645
replacement. I expect an announcement on the K-3 successor and perhaps something not yet hinted at, (weather sealed
DA Limiteds? Return of the Q?).

A whole new platform would be quite a surprise indeed, albeit counter to everything Ricoh has hinted at, (limited resources, commitment
to the DSLR platforms, etc.).
In APSc we’re still on the K-7 platform and and two of the DA* Zooms are end-of-life. There are only three FA Limiteds.

06-14-2019, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
A new platform, even? You are ambitious. What are you speculating? FF mirrorless or something completely off the beaten path.

I think that highly unlikely, despite Pentax' penchant for doing the unexpected. They're WAY overdue for the FF flagship and 645
replacement. I expect an announcement on the K-3 successor and perhaps something not yet hinted at, (weather sealed
DA Limiteds? Return of the Q?).

A whole new platform would be quite a surprise indeed, albeit counter to everything Ricoh has hinted at, (limited resources, commitment
to the DSLR platforms, etc.).
A K-1ii replacement is not due, let alone overdue. The current normal is that a model should last three years or more, and the K-1ii has been around roughly half that time. The K-3ii replacement is overdue, and at 2019 CP+, Ricoh spokesman did say that it would be the next DSLR to be announced.
06-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A K-1ii replacement is not due, let alone overdue. The current normal is that a model should last three years or more, and the K-1ii has been around roughly half that time. The K-3ii replacement is overdue, and at 2019 CP+, Ricoh spokesman did say that it would be the next DSLR to be announced.
Does anyone ever check their facts before they post?
In what universe could one thing the K-1ii replacement is due?

I guess for some, the replacement is due the day the last model was released.

Some people seem to think cameras are like cars, a new model every year.
06-14-2019, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A replacement for the K-3ii will be needed, and soon, for a couple of reasons, not just simply the age of the camera. Given that cycle times for all makers’ bodies will increase as a result of the continued downturn in the market, the replacement will have to have features and specifications that will ensure continued sales for a period that is likely to exceed the near six years for the K-3 (and over four years for the K-3ii). We’re also likely to see more of the “half-life” minor specification upgrades that the K-3ii and K-1ii represent.

So, I’m expecting that the K-3ii replacement will be a significant upgrade in a number of areas. The obvious ones will be further AF refinements, connectivity improvements and (probably) the articulated screen from the K-1 and/or the touch screen from the GRIII. Maybe we’ll see something of the hybrid viewfinder (I wouldn’t expect too much of it in the first implementation, assuming it’s a technology being actively pursued) although it may be that this isn’t likely to emerge until the model is refreshed a few years later, or it may be reserved in the first instance for the real KP successor. Anyway, features and specifications have to be compelling to both attract new users and continue to churn existing users.

I dare say that the reason for the simple cosmetic makeover of the K-P is that anything more substantial would have detracted from the work needed to bring the K-3/ii successor to market.
06-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Hmmmm….Grab some "Hacks" online idea ? and now offer it as some new innovation ?
Drum Roll Please...…….Real Bad Idea !
Pentax was always after a small Market share......now they are going after the 1% that bought into that market share in the first place ?
Me thinks this is a Really Bad Idea overall.
06-14-2019, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the KP J Limited is largely intended for a Japanese market, which is one that only a few people here seem to understand.
06-14-2019, 06:31 AM   #58
Pentaxian

This is... the world's ugliest camera. I hope it makes Pentax truckloads of money, but doesn't give them any "ideas" about design.

I've come to regard the regular KP as the handsomest camera Pentax has released since the MZ-S. It *almost* delivers on the fabled MZ-1.

I hope Pentax keep the basic KP layout around. I think it would be a good platform for an EVF successor to the K-01...
06-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think the KP J Limited is largely intended for a Japanese market, which is one that only a few people here seem to understand.
Exactly....and this leaves the rest of us in the Dirt !
06-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #60
Veteran Member

It's clearly a mirrorless sensor and considering that the GR3 came out very recently, I don't think we'll see it in Pentax cameras any time soon. Probably never.
I wouldn't go off rumors, if you did the K3II replacement would have been out years ago one thing on the rumor you did post that is probably correct thou is "Early prototypes already exist, but we are not close to an official announcement yet"