Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A K-1ii replacement is not due, let alone overdue. The current normal is that a model should last three years or more, and the K-1ii has been around roughly half that time. The K-3ii replacement is overdue, and at 2019 CP+, Ricoh spokesman did say that it would be the next DSLR to be announced.
Whoops, that's what I get for responding way past my bedtime. I meant APS-C flagship, not FF.

06-14-2019, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
This is... the world's ugliest camera. I hope it makes Pentax truckloads of money, but doesn't give them any "ideas" about design.

I've come to regard the regular KP as the handsomest camera Pentax has released since the MZ-S. It *almost* delivers on the fabled MZ-1.

I hope Pentax keep the basic KP layout around. I think it would be a good platform for an EVF successor to the K-01...
The KP design is basically the K-1 design. I hope they use this with all future cameras as a visual and functional distinction.
06-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #63
Pentaxian

When people want to criticize Pentax just because it's Pentax, they say it's ugly. The lazy person's insult.
06-14-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A replacement for the K-3ii will be needed, and soon, for a couple of reasons, not just simply the age of the camera. Given that cycle times for all makers’ bodies will increase as a result of the continued downturn in the market, the replacement will have to have features and specifications that will ensure continued sales for a period that is likely to exceed the near six years for the K-3 (and over four years for the K-3ii). We’re also likely to see more of the “half-life” minor specification upgrades that the K-3ii and K-1ii represent.

So, I’m expecting that the K-3ii replacement will be a significant upgrade in a number of areas. The obvious ones will be further AF refinements, connectivity improvements and (probably) the articulated screen from the K-1 and/or the touch screen from the GRIII. Maybe we’ll see something of the hybrid viewfinder (I wouldn’t expect too much of it in the first implementation, assuming it’s a technology being actively pursued) although it may be that this isn’t likely to emerge until the model is refreshed a few years later, or it may be reserved in the first instance for the real KP successor. Anyway, features and specifications have to be compelling to both attract new users and continue to churn existing users.

I dare say that the reason for the simple cosmetic makeover of the K-P is that anything more substantial would have detracted from the work needed to bring the K-3/ii successor to market.
The K-3ll is really the K-7 Vl. The K-7 platform is end-of-life whether or not they ever release another APSc flagship-level body. Since they say they are working on a K-3ll replacement I contend it is a ground-up new platform design.

06-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K-3ll is really the K-7 Vl. The K-7 platform is end-of-life whether or not they ever release another APSc flagship-level body. Since they say they are working on a K-3ll replacement I contend it is a ground-up new platform design.
It would certainly make sense that big changes are coming after this amount of time. They didn't even start working on this until after the K-1. The 645z sensor bumped everything back. The K-1 and K-1ii cut in in front of the K-3 replacement as well. There's a lot of new tech since the K-3.

When you think of when the K-3 came out, no 645z, no K-70, no KP, no K-1, no K-1ii. All that tech is waiting to make it's way into a K-3 type body... and whatever new they come up with.

It's been a long time since a new APS_c flagship was introduced without an increase in resolution. My guess is that the accelerator chip is going to solve some of the problems involved in a higher than 24 MP sensor. But if history means anything, we know Pentax isn't going to release anything until they get it up to Pentax standards.

Last edited by normhead; 06-14-2019 at 09:46 AM.
06-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It would certainly make sense that big changes are coming after this amount of time.
Pentax from time to time has released revolutionary designs. They experiment first with a trial product (K-01 was a failed trial product).

How about designed-in upgradability like the K-1ll upgrade? No need to replace the entire camera (in a slow market). Just send it in for an upgrade.
06-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #67
Veteran Member

The Prism cover is removable so if those like the look with it, keep it on, if not remove it. Options are great.

06-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #68
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It’s probably only momentary, but it’s #1 on the Yodobashi Camera DSLR bestseller list.

????.com - ???????? ???????????????

So this confirms a couple of things:
- This kind of product does have a market of some kind
- The KP J is not only on sale through Ricoh direct

Another thing I noticed while looking down that list is that Pentax is doing a lot better relative to other DSLR brands (Canon, Nikon) than in the past. I’m not saying that Pentax sales are increasing, because the whole category must be in decline. But if there is a collapse in DSLR sales, it’s with the brands that have plotted a clear strategy away from DSLRs.
It is on the list of june 15th now #16. So this is probably a day list. With sales of on average a 1000 units dslr in Japan every day.....this being one store (or is it more)......well sell 20 and you rue the world!! Now it is the Canon 6D II with the 24-105mm IS STM lens
06-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Via google translate...
QuoteQuote:
Q. When wearing a large diameter lens, does it touch the custom top cover?
A. Please note that it may interfere with the top cover in combination with some lenses:

1. If the following lens is attached, it will touch the custom top cover and the cover and lens may be scratched.
When using it, use it with the custom top cover removed.
・ HD PENTAX-D FA * 70-200F2.8ED DC AW
・ HD PENTAX-D FA150-450mmF4.5-5.6ED DC AW
2. With the following lenses, if the tripod seat screw is in the normal position, the screw and the top are fixed. The cover will touch.
Before using this lens, loosen the rotation set screw and move the tripod seat so that it does not touch the top cover.
-Smc PENTAX-DA * 60-250mmF4ED IF SDM
-smc PENTAX-DA * 300F4ED IF SDM
-smc PENTAX-FA * 400mmF5.6ED IF
QuoteQuote:
Q. Is the DLC coating difficult to peel off?
A: Because the film is thin, scratches and peeling may occur. Please be careful when removing the lens.
Well, this is unfortunate ...both cameras still look awesome though.
06-14-2019, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #70
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is on the list of june 15th now #16. So this is probably a day list. With sales of on average a 1000 units dslr in Japan every day.....this being one store (or is it more)......well sell 20 and you rue the world!! Now it is the Canon 6D II with the 24-105mm IS STM lens
I’m not surprised - as I said, it was only momentary. But I still think it’s notable because a few reports have stated that it only available from Ricoh direct. It’s actually available for order at multiple other stores, and is in scope for their loyalty programmes. The difference from previous limited editions is that you have to wait for it to be custom made.
06-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think the KP J Limited is largely intended for a Japanese market, which is one that only a few people here seem to understand.
Exactly.
Japan has a love affair with limited stuff.
Pentax is no stranger to limited designed bodies and anniversary models.

I like these cameras and they are good for the collectors.
This has all come about because of the 100th anniversary.

I don't get all the negativity.
06-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #72
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Doesn't the KP have PDAF points on the sensor that it uses in live view mode?
Sensor PDAF is only used for video AF-C, and it's bad. So no.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sensor PDAF is only used for video AF-C, and it's bad. So no.
I did correct myself in a later post, but I guess my point wasn't that Pentax knows how to use sensor PDAF points but just that they have used a sensor with PDAF points in an SLR design in the past. A lot of the newer sensors from Sony will have those on them and Pentax may purchase one of those sensors, even if they don't know how to use the PDAF points on the sensor.
06-15-2019, 03:06 AM   #74
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I did correct myself in a later post, but I guess my point wasn't that Pentax knows how to use sensor PDAF points but just that they have used a sensor with PDAF points in an SLR design in the past. A lot of the newer sensors from Sony will have those on them and Pentax may purchase one of those sensors, even if they don't know how to use the PDAF points on the sensor.
I think it would be very reasonable to assume that LV PDAF will be something supported in future models. As you point out- the hardware is already readily available, and it should be easy enough to pull off now that the feature has become mainstream.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My DA limiteds are collecting dust and I need some nudging to use these lenses so maybe I’ll order it what the heck