Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It took a few years for Sony to copy Pentax pixels shift.
and has anyone copied Astrotracer? The O-GPS1 was a Ricoh product, right?

06-14-2019, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Usually Pentaxians get the same tech as others without the price premium once R&D is paid back by others. It is in the interest of Sony to also sell the same sensors to other brands.
Same sensor and performance as other brands , but with the ergonomics and intuitive user interface that Pentax is good at, eventually a little cheaper than Sony would be perfect.

---------- Post added 14-06-19 at 19:04 ----------

It took a few years for Sony to copy Pentax pixels shift.

---------- Post added 14-06-19 at 19:21 ----------

Exactly. With the articulated display and outdoor modes on the K1, it's a pleasure to use: no eye strain, no headache.
My images yesterday were all mirrorless... but when I want it, I can have an OVF.
I also have a Hoodman if for some reason I want to go full EVF. What do you do on an EVF viewfinder if you want to go full OVF?

06-14-2019, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #18

I hope there are new lenses to be able to resolve bumping up pixels as well
06-14-2019, 11:24 AM - 6 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The rumored hybrid OVF has been floating around for years. I would love to see Ricoh bring it to market, but Ricoh isn't a cutting edge technology company. The Hybrid OVF is going to be expensive and the K-mount user base isn't exactly known for embracing new and expensive technology.
While I think Ricoh comes off as a conservative camera maker - in the sense of providing a traditional DSLR shooting experience - they do seem to have some fairly "cutting edge" stuff going on...

- Theta
- AA simulator
- Astrotracer
- Pixel Shift (only a couple months after Oly) & Dynamic PS

And even things which are not specifically "technology" but are features in the forefront of ILC's, like mainstreaming weather sealing & pentaxprism OVF in lower-tier cameras, Night Vision mode, K-1's "lunar lander" LCD & LED lights for accessing camera controls. I think sometimes this stuff gets taken for granted.

06-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
like mainstreaming weather sealing
sometimes this stuff gets taken for granted
Couldn't agree more!
06-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I think Ricoh comes off as a conservative camera maker - in the sense of providing a traditional DSLR shooting experience - they do seem to have some fairly "cutting edge" stuff going on...

- Theta
- AA simulator
- Astrotracer
- Pixel Shift (only a couple months after Oly) & Dynamic PS

And even things which are not specifically "technology" but are features in the forefront of ILC's, like mainstreaming weather sealing & pentaxprism OVF in lower-tier cameras, Night Vision mode, K-1's "lunar lander" LCD & LED lights for accessing camera controls. I think sometimes this stuff gets taken for granted.
Pentax cameras are packed with a lot of features and technology, but not really cutting edge. They are like Olympus in this regard. I shot with an Olympus E-3 for several years and loved the camera. I picked up Pentax once it became obvious that 4/3 was a dead system. Pentax offers a great value in terms of the features that they do offer, but very few people need features like astrotracer and pixel shift. IF you happen to be one of thew few that can use it, then its an awesome value. The AA simulator is pretty irrelevant at the current pixel density.
06-14-2019, 01:42 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax cameras are packed with a lot of features and technology, but not really cutting edge.
but very few people need features like astrotracer and pixel shift.
Your definition of 'cutting edge' is quite subjective then.
06-14-2019, 01:49 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Your definition of 'cutting edge' is quite subjective then.
His idea of cutting edge is 20 FPS and Eye-focus, 2 features pretty much useless to me and may others.

06-14-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh/Pentax is definitely releasing hybrid OVF in the soon-to-be-released K-3ii replacement.
not everyone wants a hybrid view finder, OVF all the way man, not Hybrid.
06-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
not everyone wants a hybrid view finder, OVF all the way man, not Hybrid.
lol we don't know if the hybrid viewfinder is coming for sure.. and we don't know any potential features regarding it.. and you're already against it? lol

I'm pretty indifferent about the potential hybrid viewfinder. If it makes it to the K-3ii replacement then cool. If not, then I'm not hurt.

I just want to replace my K-S2 and I'd like to have the latest flagship APS-C (I've been a bit iffy on the KP).
06-14-2019, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you're already against it?
yes, I've used EVF and I don't like it, OVF all the way man
06-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
yes, I've used EVF and I don't like it, OVF all the way man
sure - but we don't know any features of the hybrid.. what if it's just as good as the OVF with none of the 'I don't like it' features of the EVF? :P

you'd still be against?
06-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you'd still be against?
Yes, I prefer OVF, OVF all the way man
06-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
what if it's just as good as the OVF with none of the 'I don't like it' features of the EVF? :P

you'd still be against?
Yes, I prefer OVF, OVF all the way man
when considering my hypothetical.. you don't make much sense.. but to each his own!
06-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't need to make sense of a hypothetical, I know what I like and that is OVF, even Ricoh/Pentax said they prefer OVF in many interviews.
If I want EVF I have a screen on the back of my K-5 and K-3, but, I use OVF 99.999...% of the time.

When I am looking through a viewfinder, I want to see what I'm looking at, not view a tiny movie of what I'm looking at. OVF all the way man.

Last edited by beachgardener; 06-14-2019 at 02:37 PM.