Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But a faster camera, (hopefully) with a new, fast AF with better coverage and more AF points should work nicely. AF-C has nothing to do with the sensor resolution, and this camera doesn't have to be a FPS monster.
Certainly not suggesting they can't make it better in all respects that the K-3 (which is a very competent camera) - I would expect it to be a modernised K-3 style camera which is an all-rounder that has a FPS that allows it to be used for wildlife - but modern expectations for action and wildlife - the comment I was originally responding to - are set by the D-500s of this world, and that's only 21MP. Yes, it's a couple of years old, and sensors have moved on a bit, but so have expectations, and Nikon is probably at least 2 years ahead of Pentax in AF tech. But I don't think that there's really any disagreement here other than what is understood by an action and wildlife camera.It will certainly be Pentax's action and wildlife camera, but not one to change to Pentax for if you're a Canikony user - unless you value detail over speed and buffer.

Last edited by ffking; 07-11-2019 at 06:57 AM.
07-11-2019, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #722
Pentaxian

Maybe we should remember some of the last killer camera:
- the 7D - Konica Minolta's. Forced them to sell to Sony.
- the NX1. Samsung exited the camera business afterwards.

We might have to add Pentax' version to the list, if they'd try making a camera "to change to Pentax for if you're a Canikony user"
OTOH, a significant increase in performance would be more than welcome.
07-11-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #723
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's right.
It wasn't me who was hoping for a action camera
I'd be happy with one that filled the K-3 niche.
07-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Come on, Pentaxians claim to be poor, but they aren't. As Denzel Washington said, ďYou will never see a U-Haul behind a hearse. I donít care how much money you make; you canít take it with you. Itís not how much you have, itís what you do with it". I agree. Money has been invented for a reason, what you do with it is buy new Pentax cameras.

Anyway, it's better to be poor , in good health and have a Pentax camera, than being in bad health, rich and own a Sony.
(Laughs). You're not included, BE!

There are many of our brethren who have a Kx or a K20D and some old film lenses. There's no prospect of selling high end to them.

I regularly look at the photos submitted both here and at the Pentaxians FB group and there are very few taken with the DA*11-18 or DFA*50, superb products with prices to match.

If I was a Ricoh executive, I'd question when the Return on Investment would happen for the planned 85mm and 35mm in this crashing market. Eight months or eight years? If the latter, s/he should vote to invest in medical or industrial imaging devices instead of consumer cameras.

Last edited by clackers; 07-11-2019 at 07:17 AM.
07-11-2019, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #725
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If the latter, s/he should vote to invest in medical or industrial imaging devices instead of consumer cameras.
Automotive / 360 degree imaging is the way to go, especially with the rise of autonomous driving and the imagery that come with it. The automotive market is growing slowly, and the number of new cars sold in 2018 was about four times the number of ILC cameras sold the same year. The decision is easy.
07-11-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #726
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I regularly look at the photos submitted both here and at the Pentaxians FB group and there are very few taken with the DA*11-18 or DFA*50, superb products with prices to match.

If I was a Ricoh executive, I'd question when the Return on Investment would happen for the planned 85mm and 35mm in this crashing market. Eight months or eight years? If the latter, s/he should vote to invest in medical or industrial imaging devices instead of consumer cameras.
I wonder how many copies Asahi sold of the old eight-element 50mm f/1.4, even if they did lose money on each one. I personally don't have the funds to purchase a DFA* 50mm or the new DA* 11-18mm, but I'm guessing they sell some. They may be making these latest lenses for the same reason Asahi made the eight-element 50mm - to build their reputation.
07-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #727
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Automotive / 360 degree imaging is the way to go, especially with the rise of autonomous driving and the imagery that come with it. The automotive market is growing slowly, and the number of new cars sold in 2018 was about four times the number of ILC cameras sold the same year. The decision is easy.
Automotive certainly will have the volume. Not only are car sales 4X of ILC sales, but new cars can easily require half a dozen cameras for decent 3-D x 360į coverage.

The big downside is that car makers are very price sensitive and will insist on cost cuts every year -- it's a high-volume, low-margin business.
07-11-2019, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #728
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
...and Nikon is probably at least 2 years ahead of Pentax in AF tech...
More like 10 years ahead. Hahaha!

07-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
More like 10 years ahead.
Time is money
07-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The big downside is that car makers are very price sensitive and will insist on cost cuts every year -- it's a high-volume, low-margin business.
That's right, the price of camera modules in a car has to be far less than the price of a photography camera, simply because cameras aren't the only electronics in a car. Even if the amount of electronics in cars is increasing, the total cost of electronic content in a car is something like $500 to $1000, so if 4 or 6 cameras are added on top they have to be rather cheap, maybe $50 each, I'd say.
07-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #731
Pentaxian

one iphone 8 camera cost around $16 and I assume most car cameras are far less sophisticated than a most recent smartphone camera.
So $10 per camera seems appropriate.
07-11-2019, 11:13 PM   #732

Fuji Xt3 with 26Mpx sensor from Sony, is excelent camera, for action .
07-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #733

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We might have to add Pentax' version to the list, if they'd try making a camera "to change to Pentax for if you're a Canikony user"
They should make a camera to appeal to people with no systems...
07-12-2019, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
Canon research clearly doesn't think that group exists anymore.

If they're not serious about photography as a hobby, people will use their phones that they've already paid a lot of money for.

Canon think the market will bottom out in two, three years time at between four and six million hardcore enthusiasts annually.

People lukewarm about picture taking won't be buying a camera - MILC or DSLR.

To me, it seems Pentax did test the market of hipsters wanting more than their phone could do. The product was the K-S1 and seems to have failed (I actually bought one because it was tiny!). I don't think they'll try again, they got their answer.
07-12-2019, 05:44 AM - 2 Likes   #735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
They are making cameras to appeal primarily to us Pentaxians.
Just like Canon is making cameras to appeal primarily to Canonians, Nikon to Nikonians and so on.